Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Obama Africanus posted:

I just finished "Blind Mans Bluff"

That was a seriously loving good read right there.

Now I want a version of it that covers 1989-2013 in the kind of detail that most of the book was in. Great book, but it was quite obvious the Author didn't have nearly as much good poo poo to write about from about the end of the Reagen years to the (then) modern day. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm older and it gets written eventually.

This is from like a million years ago but whatever. Blind Man's Bluff 2: The Re-tentacleing won't happen because Blind Man's Bluff was written with leaked material. There was a guy who was selling documents to the Soviets, I forget who, but some of them got out and the book was written. (I think that the authors called up the involved persons and said hey, it's out anyways so you can talk to us) The Navy hasn't officially confirmed or denied anything in there because it's all top secret to some absurd degree.

e: If you read the official history of Navy Intelligence from that era, all it'll say is that they had "a major intelligence breakthrough" around 1971. That book, now titled The Admirals' Advantage, manages to hint at some truly incredible feats of intelligence collection. The writing is dry, but that owes to it being an adaptation of a formal report.

To contribute more, your local base library might have a few official Oral Histories laying around, at least if it's a Navy base. These are absolute goldmines and quick reads if you can find them. For example, the Naval Institute interviewed a series of Bud Zumwalt's staff officers. They revealed that:

- During a briefing in 1968, General Abrams got so pissed off at an Air Force colonel that the colonel pissed his pants

- In Vietnam, Z relied entirely on his staff to do basic things like dress him. One night his normal flag aide was gone and the Vietnamese cabin boy laid out his best guess at a proper uniform for him. So Vice Admiral Zumwalt comes out before his entire staff wearing a cammie blouse, pants, white socks, white shoes, and a khaki combo cover. He was so wrapped up in thinking about the war effort that he'd shaved looking at himself in the mirror and not noticed.

- Z would fly out to the front every morning and literally hand out Navy Commendations and later Bronze Stars like candy. A strapping young boat commander could do something sufficiently heroic at 2200 and have a medal by 0900 the next morning. Z would tell their chain of commands to gently caress themselves and make the paperwork happen.

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread