Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

I really want to re-write Red Storm Rising, with a better name.. but have it be kinda alterna-history where the soviet union solidified and continued their defense advances that we've seen up until now but on a much larger scale.. and where we got the cold war military we wanted and have the war spark off in Europe. Instead of the cop out Clancy went with though to end and limit the conventional war, I'd basically have it end the way it was supposed to- tactical nukes escalating to strategic nukes. So it'd be like.. first few chapters has the introduction to capabilities and the run up in readiness on both sides, and the intelligence war that both are waging.. Next few chapters the initial hostilities (first strikes by whoever is doing that, etc-- Special Forces raids, SEAD/DEAD etc day 1 stuff) that advance to the Naval War and the large Mechanized forces pushes.. and it tells the whole story from that same Clancy character POV (I.E interesting throw away characters like the pilots and poo poo). Anyway, the whole thing would devolve into the USSR gaining tactical and operational advantage on the ground in Europe leading to action chapters for the Nuclear forces guys (who've been kinda introduced in those first few chapters) and we see how the war would have looked from everybody's POV as it progress (quickly) from tactical nuclear weapons to theater nuclear weapons to a full on strategic force employment. The rest of the book can be about the NCA and nuclear forces surviving and riding out the war and attempting to negotiate an end to hostilities.. have it all end in the bleak death tolls of the war shown first from conventional warfare (which should also be hideous) all the way to the full on holocaust that was committed before the cessation of hostilities.

Have you ever heard of Arc Light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Mustang posted:

Amazon just launched Kindle Unlimited which is basically netflix for books, you can get a 30 day free trial right now. $9.99 a month for unlimited access to over 600,000 ebooks plus several thousand audio books.

Not to derail but they just started doing that with music too.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Admiral Bosch posted:

I just read this a couple weeks ago on a friend's recommendation. Pretty great read, keeps the science pretty accurate as far as my layman's mind can tell. Pretty nailbiting in parts.

I liked when he was swearing on the chats with NASA. Trying to get a guy who got stranded on another planet to censor himself sounds like a very government sort of thing to do.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Bolow posted:

LOOK SOME BOOBIES ( . Y . )

AYYYYYYYYYY

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Ashley's War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield https://www.amazon.com/dp/006233381X/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_8NsSub109GWY2

Anyone know anything about this author? I am pre-ordering this book since I knew Lt. White. I just am wondering what I am in for.

• Locked thread