Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green by Johnny Rico is the best book about deployed life with no action. The first book I have ever seen that isn't some hooah bullshit or some dark anti war piece. This is just life in the slow lane dealing with dickheads. This guy ain't a hero, he's just some schlub trying to meddle through. Shows what 90% of anyone's time in the military is really like. But don't take my word for it:

one star review posted:

Couldn't finish it. Having served multiple combat tours, and been a member of the military, this book is an insult to those who serve! I could go on for hours but this turd does not deserve it.

one star review posted:

Before I joined several years back I was reading anything and everything military I could get my hands on. A sort of preview of what I was getting into. After reading this book and spending some time in the military, I can now really write this review.

The author is, to be blunt, a dirt bag. He is the guy that you chapter out of the Army the first shot you get. For those that don't know what that means it is simply terminating his contract before his time is up. I would make sure to give him a general discharge at least so he doesn't collect any benefits. He joined for the wrong reasons, failed his ranger training day one, and when he got to his unit was on the worthless side. While the 25th out of Hawaii is not a premier unit, they deserve better than him. By his own account he was a slacker and almost worse than useless.

You get what you put into the Army, so garbage in garbage out. I encourage my fellow Soldiers to read this, however, so they can try and grasp the mentality of a dirt bag. Sometimes it's just hard to wrap your head around why a guy joins up if he doesn't want to be there. A read through this can help you understand that limited mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread