Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
About a quarter of the way through A Nightmare's Prayer: A Marine Harrier Pilot's War in Afghanistan. So far the positives about the book is that it paints a very bleak picture of how just how hosed the early days of Afghanistan were, which was mostly due to bullshit ROE, training handicaps, inter-service idiocy, and the political poo poo back in the US.

Much of this isn't talked about in great detail. It's done with little asides and anecdotes in a way that definitely builds a picture of the era. What I really like about the book is the author's relationship with the Harrier. A lot of the aviation stuff seriously hits home with me. Guys love their jets, but hate them all at the same time for their limitations and quirks. The Harrier itself is as much of a threat to the pilot as anything else in the book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LL2XVY/ref=oh_d__o00_details_o00__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The Mote In God's Eye really lost steam in the last third. I put it down shortly after CHAOS ENSUES (you'll know which part I'm referring to.

That book I posted about yesterday? Yea, I quit mid-way through. It's a lot of pilot self-loathing and introspection without hardly any sweet Harrier action. Not worth your time.

Gonna start Matterhorn today since you all couldn't quit cumming about it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

krispykremessuck posted:

Since we're not limiting to mil books, in the non-fiction realm I'd recommend Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer if you haven't already read it. P tite book

e: also Shackleton

That book loving owns. Jon Krakauer generally does some pretty great stuff.

I hope everyone in here has a Kindle Paperwhite. It's indispensable.

bloops fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 13, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Moving away from the realm of mil books, The First Law series is actually really good fantasy similar to Game Of Thrones if that's your thing.

3 books and 2 stand alone ones.

American Gods is thoroughly mediocre. At least I thought so. Boring as poo poo.

bloops fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 13, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey Shim, you're a well read dude and I've seen you post about Roman poo poo. Have you read I, Claudius? Thoughts?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Amazon had the Kindle version of all 6 volumes for 2 bucks. Yea. Bought.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Alright History nerds here's one for you: I'm interested in reading about the War of the Roses. What's a good, entertaining book or author who's covered it?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

George R. R. Martin.

Yea yea I know he cribbed a ton from it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The First Law series. Seriously. It's really good.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The kindle subscription service looks to be mostly lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mustang posted:

Anyone heard of Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos? Has a lot of good reviews on Amazon and it's one of their Kindle Unlimited books, supposed to be military sci-fi along the lines of Heinlein and Joe Haldeman.

I read the sample. Came to the conclusion that guy writes like a loving high school student so I didn't bother.

• Locked thread