Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CISNAZI WEEDHITLER posted:

You all need this book: 15 Minutes: General Curtis LeMay and the Countdown to Nuclear Annihilation.

The description is pretty useful:

You are all welcome. :colbert:

I keep meaning to get it, but Nuclear War books tend to be either popular poo poo that you've read a ton of times (Dead Hand) or it is super spergy of the highest order...and thus good. Ashton Carter's Managing Nuclear Operations for example actually goes through an entire planning of a nuclear attack and how weapons are allocated, how launched, when they detonate, damage planning, all using sub launches against some Naval building in the DC area. It is really a great Cold War junkie book.

Just finished Ian Kershaw's The End: The Defiance and Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1944-1945. It does a really good job of explaining why Nazi Germany keep fighting to the bitter end and how the Nazi state functioned as the collapsed. You can see how the Bomb Plot allowed Himmler to make inroads into the Wehrmacht were the party (and himself) had previously been unable to do so. Kershaw really has it in (rightly) for Karl Doenitz by demolishing the crap out of the non political Grand Admiral when it was actually one of the most fanatical Nazi's there were. Just a really good book, well researched, and still easy to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koesj posted:

The thing I've heard about Kershaw's work is that he has been coasting on his 'working towards the Führer' theory for a long time now. Not that it's much of a problem, Hubris and Nemesis are fantastic, and there's only so much new stuff you can do in Nazi historiography, but I've been holding off on his newer titles since getting those Hitler biographies as a present in 2003 (thanks mom & dad!).

I could see that, but I think The End fills a nice void, but I'm not much it overlaps with the Hitler bios, as I haven't had the chance to read them yet or more accurately listen to them as my commute allows me about 2 hours of audiobooks a day. Right now I'm on a mix of Hastings Catastrophe, Beevors Second World War, and Forgotten Ally, so having audible is really nice (lack of footnotes and works cited notwithstanding, but you can often buy the book for cheap after getting the audio via amazon).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hannibal posted:

Also about the Roman Empire but with a military focus (and of course, much more recent) is The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire. It goes into great detail about Roman military organization, defenses (the limes), tactics, logistics, and (duh) strategy. The same guy wrote a similar book about the Byzantine Empire that I haven't gotten around to yet.

Luttwak also wrote the excellent Coup D'etat, it's basically a how to manual on overthrowing the current government in power.

• Locked thread