Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Three Armies on the Somme, William Philpott. Does a good job of peeling back some of the layers of why things happened. My favorite part: a recently-unemployed Parliamentary back-bencher named Winston Churchill conducting character assassinations of old political foes under the guise of being a war correspondent.

Since it hasn't been mentioned, Parshall and Tully's Shattered Sword: the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway serves as a kind of gently caress-you rebuttal to Miracle at Midway. If you wanted bomb-by-bomb analyses of damage, look no further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Morgan and Berhow's Rings of Supersonic Steel is ostensibly a history of the Nike missile system, but kind of grows into the entire Cold War-history of Army Air Defense Command. I knew all these things existed, but I wasn't prepared for the scale--practically every major US city had belts of 90mm-120mm antiaircraft guns around it in the 1950s. Anyway, an interesting read, especially since it maps out where everything was, and what's left to look at today.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Found in flea market: Mutiny, the story of the alleged defection attempt in 1974 by the crew of Storozhevoy, a Krivak-I serving in the Baltic. Boris Gindin, the ship's engineer at the time, wrote this memoir after being strafed, bombed, run out of the service and then the country, and seeing his story make Tom Clancy millions of dollars.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Just finished The War, the collected dispatches from war correspondent William Howard Russell who was embedded with the British Army headed to Crimea in 1854. From Russell's perspective, we see--and stop me if any of this sounds familiar-- Our Heroes not receiving enough of the right gear and speculation as to where all that money is going, despair that local contractors are feckless opportunists probably aligned with the enemy anyway, mail service that sucks, concern that the news being reported back home is a lot more optimistic than the view from the front, and disappointment with one's coalition partners (but totally digging their cool uniforms).

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wanted: a history of the Indo-Paki wars of 1965 and/or 1971.

Added stipulation: that aren't written by anyone from India or Pakistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Rules of the Game is Yet Another Book About Jutland, but concentrates on decades of institutional decay in the RN. High points so far: the :stare:-worthy efforts by battlecruiser captains to make absolutely, positively sure their ships would blow up, because they were all about rate of fire.

• Locked thread