Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I actually like the tales of Dunk and Egg way more then I like ASoIaF proper. I think the focus on specific characters and events helps GRRMs style immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

tuluk posted:

I thought it was godholio's dream career, no idea he was able to land a job teaching history.

anyway if you're willing to visit creepy public libraries & do library inter-loan stuff you can find a ton of mil-history reading material.
Back when I lived in CT, I was able to read the 1909 reprints of gibbons "rise & fall of the roman empire" from the shelton ct public library for free.

and if you're willing to dive into the autism/aspergers pool that is military wargaming, alot of the avalon hill games & most of the non-self published studies on wargaming have references to seminal mil-history works. The US Navy sponsors a shitload of military history studies & wargaming concepts.
....it's how I learned about InfoChess.

I still can't decide if InfoChess is the stupidest or smartest thing I've ever heard of regarding modelling war scenarios.

I took a class on Information Operations/Information Warfare and how it has evolved military operations from John Arquilla. It was one the best courses I've ever taken, and we played a lot of InfoChess in the final portion of the class.

While I wouldn't say that it's great at modeling actual war, it is absolutely fantastic at modeling how valuable information is to making operational decisions, and causes players to make some very interesting cost/benefit decisions based on incomplete data.

• Locked thread