Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Gwamp posted:

eh, no fun books here at all.

How about :

Bill the Galactic Hero by Harry Harrison

Seconding this.
It's the one of the best anti-war/anti-military book I've ever read.
Despite it being a scifi book, it has the most realistic enlisted.txt viewpoint I seen in mil-scifi books.
(enlisted always get hosed over, Officers are Nobles, only officers deserve multiple "L"'s in their names).
edit: free kindle copy claimed by kombatmedik

Also, check out Quartered Safe Out Here: A Harrowing Tale of World War II, by George MacDonald Fraser http://amzn.com/1602391904 It's about the authors personal memior about his WW2 service in the mostly forgotten & ignored Burma campaign.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

[bold]Harper Encyclopedia of Military History: From 3500 BC to the Present[/bold]
http://www.amazon.com/Harper-Encyclopedia-Military-History-Present/dp/0062700561/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389536128&sr=1-1

This should be a standard reference for anyone interested in military history.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Just started reading Widows, a book about the fuckups of US counter intelligence versus the USSR.
Only 51 pages in so far, but it's hilarious and :tinfoil:-ville at the same time.

pg. 12. "Chinese boys were supplied to Kronthal in Switzerland. He was secretly filmed and then blackmailed."
pg. 47. Washington DC sex clubs that "service" CIA dudes, US Senators, Czech spies, and Carl Bernstein(watergate dude).

http://amzn.com/0671684191

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I thought it was godholio's dream career, no idea he was able to land a job teaching history.

anyway if you're willing to visit creepy public libraries & do library inter-loan stuff you can find a ton of mil-history reading material.
Back when I lived in CT, I was able to read the 1909 reprints of gibbons "rise & fall of the roman empire" from the shelton ct public library for free.

and if you're willing to dive into the autism/aspergers pool that is military wargaming, alot of the avalon hill games & most of the non-self published studies on wargaming have references to seminal mil-history works. The US Navy sponsors a shitload of military history studies & wargaming concepts.
....it's how I learned about InfoChess.

I still can't decide if InfoChess is the stupidest or smartest thing I've ever heard of regarding modelling war scenarios.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 16, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea yea I know he cribbed a ton from it.

Honestly, fire up Crusader Kings 2 + play as the Lancaster or York faction while skimming wikipedia for highlights of Shakespeare's play Richard III.
..it'll be more entertaining for you, and a hella lot more fun. It loving SUCKS dealing with the Old English language unless you are a history major/armchair historian or shakespeare fan.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I'll be honest: I can't stand Shakespeare, so I'm not a good judge of his works.
and George RR Martin is pretty horrible.....he helped inflict WILDCARDS on the universe.
The WILDCARDS series is bad, really loving bad and George RR Martin LOVES the series.

Reading some of the WILDCARDS stories made hate the fact I was literate.
read the bookbarn WILDCARDS thread, i dare you.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501532

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

infochess commentary

thanks for the feedback from someone who's actually played it. It looks interesting.
a peter perla book mentioned it along with a few other items I've been slowly looking at.
that old naval tactics book I was about in the navy thread, McClintic Theater Model, avalon hill & SPI wargames, etc.

• Locked thread