Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

anne frank fanfic posted:

Dude, Where's my War? A gently caress-up and his dumbass friends join the army unwittingly after stumbling into a recruiting office after a prom night filled with hijinks and attempt to figure out which war they've been fighting for 10 years straight. Plenty of hand-raising, question-asking, and hair-raising accounts of some guy licking dirt both on purpose and accidentally, but mostly accidentally, but he also licks some buttholes and pees on a few guys, both on purpose and accidentally. Written through the point of view of several characters who, both on purpose and accidentally, stumble their way up higher and higher through the ranks like an old man falling down an upwards-moving escalator until they're in charge of several divisions through groundhog day style longevity. Do they find out which war they're fighting? Read to find out. Good writing style, good accuracy. Don't be afraid to skip through some of the enlisted-exaggerated details of their work days while in garrison and skip to right when they're still trying to figure out who's shooting at them and from wherem.

Contemporary Catch-22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Game-Struggle-Kodansha/dp/1568360223

Good back story to Afghanistan

anne frank fanfic posted:

Dude, Where's my War? A gently caress-up and his dumbass friends join the army unwittingly after stumbling into a recruiting office after a prom night filled with hijinks and attempt to figure out which war they've been fighting for 10 years straight. Plenty of hand-raising, question-asking, and hair-raising accounts of some guy licking dirt both on purpose and accidentally, but mostly accidentally, but he also licks some buttholes and pees on a few guys, both on purpose and accidentally. Written through the point of view of several characters who, both on purpose and accidentally, stumble their way up higher and higher through the ranks like an old man falling down an upwards-moving escalator until they're in charge of several divisions through groundhog day style longevity. Do they find out which war they're fighting? Read to find out. Good writing style, good accuracy. Don't be afraid to skip through some of the enlisted-exaggerated details of their work days while in garrison and skip to right when they're still trying to figure out who's shooting at them and from wherem.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

No jokes in the grey forums.

vains
May 26, 2004

BlueDiablo posted:

I don't mean to be a turd-lord, but "A Lonely Kind of War" belongs in the Vietnam section, my fault for not making that clear when I was listing them.

As for other recommendations:
Street Without Joy: http://www.amazon.com/Street-Without-Joy-Indochina-Stackpole/dp/0811732363
Pretty much a classic investigation of the French efforts in Indochina, leading up to direct American intervention. American soldiers in Vietnam had a tendency to make references to this book when seeing what the higher-ups were doing wrong.

Bernard Fall wrote a lot of good poo poo about Vietnam. "Hell in a Very Small Place" is another good one by Fall.

"A Savage War of Peace" by Allister Horne is another one about the end of France's empire.

Always been a big fan of "Fields of Fire" by Webb about Vietnam.

http://www.amazon.com/Major-Problem...am+War+Textbook
Although it's an essay collection and a textbook, I liked it.

vains fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 23, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

Panzer Commander is another book worth reading.
http://www.amazon.com/Panzer-Commander-Memoirs-Colonel-Hans/dp/0440208025

vains
May 26, 2004

Sacrilage posted:

That fact is really what I took away from the narrative; given the ineptitude on so many fronts, especially against such an adversary, the US really, seriously, dodged a bullet here. After reading the real details of the war, I'm convinced that this was about as close as we could have come to losing the country, and still pull through.

It was interested, as well, to see the political infighting and politics between the parties and powers. I had thought that divisive politics in Washington was a new development. I was wrong.

http://www.constitution.org/rf/sedition_1798.htm

• Locked thread