Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman is probably the most significant book I've ever read. It's a big ol' Russian epic centering mainly around the battle of Stalingrad. The author was a war journalist for the Red Army who was at Stalingrad and one of the first death camps taken over, so it's all very real and vivid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Bright Eyes posted:

Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA was also interesting. It goes over how crazy the DO was (is?) and how Allen Dulles and John Dulles were very big into cover operations and how they almost always got messed up.

I read that one a few years ago and found it really interesting. The same guy who recommended it to me recently recommended me The Way of the Knife, which also covers the CIA, but in this case their recent history, as in how they got behind all the secret prisons and drone strikes and whatnot. Very interesting read. I was shocked at a lot of the technology they described in it, since some of it was familiar and I thought was very much classified.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I just read a bunch of Laird Barron stuff. Mostly cosmic horror type stuff in the Lovecraftian vein. Very :stare: kind of stuff. Look up his short story "Hallucigenia" for something to read alone on a dark night.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

3 stand-alones; Red Country was the latest. :eng101:

But yes, all of Joe Abercrombie's stuff is absolutely solid.

Laird Barron is pretty great if you're into the Lovecraftian cosmic horror kind of stuff as well.

• Locked thread