Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

gfanikf posted:

Just finished Ian Kershaw's The End: The Defiance and Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1944-1945. It does a really good job of explaining why Nazi Germany keep fighting to the bitter end and how the Nazi state functioned as the collapsed. You can see how the Bomb Plot allowed Himmler to make inroads into the Wehrmacht were the party (and himself) had previously been unable to do so. Kershaw really has it in (rightly) for Karl Doenitz by demolishing the crap out of the non political Grand Admiral when it was actually one of the most fanatical Nazi's there were. Just a really good book, well researched, and still easy to read.

Keep meaning to pick this up, but now I'll have to get it ASAP to see how exactly Kershaw goes after Doenitz. The whole "He wasn't really a hardcore Nazi!" argument is really old so it's nice to see good historians beat the poo poo out of that argument at every chance.

I'm currently reading Hitler's Empire:How the Nazis Ruled Europe, which is pretty good. Starts out a little slow but picks up the pace after the 1st chapter and it really hits home about how poorly managed the occupied territories were as well as how lucky Europe was that Hitler and co. had a really hard time understanding what made British/French imperialism successful compared to their attempts in Eastern Europe.
Well gently caress, this looks good and it's payday. I've already got Kershaw's book in my cart so I may as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Hydrogen Oxide posted:

Posting poo poo from Skunk Works by Ben Rich because SR-71 stories get my dick rock hard.

Only meant to post three, but copied out an extra on accident, so gently caress you, you get to read it. The book has tons more interesting poo poo, highly recommended if you like boners.

SR-71 stories get me rock hard every time. Thanks for posting this, definitely going to go buy it at the used bookstore I saw it at last weekend.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

hannibal posted:

Might as well throw in my current reading, Richard Evans' trilogy on Nazi Germany (Coming of the Third Reich, The Third Reich in Power, and The Third Reich at War) I'm halfway through the third one and they're pretty good. The first one covers the post-WW1 period and the rise of the Nazis, the second one covers the time when the Nazis were in power before 1939, and the third one covers WW2. I own Shirer's book and while it's good, it's a bit out of date with the current scholarship and really covers things more from a reporter's point of view (which is really not bad for what it is). Evans is a historian and it shows (I'd say 1/3 of each book is footnotes and references) and I think the depth of writing is better for it.

Echoing this, the Evans trilogy is some amazing scholarship and reading.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Larry Parrish posted:

I read Riding Rockets and it's really good. Mike Mullane is extremely military but that's kind of a given.

Just picked this up at the used bookstore last weekend. I'll likely start it this week when I finish Relentless Strike (which is really great btw).

• Locked thread