Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Black Hearts by Jim Fredericks is an incredibly interesting book. It's nominally about the whole Yusufiyah rape/murder in 2006, but really it's about an absolute lack of leadership and how no one really knew what the hell they were doing there.

The Outpost by Jake Tapper is similar with regards to the story about lack of leadership, but it leads up to one of the most intense battles of the entire Afghan war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Lions of Kandahar was pretty good, in the same vein as that I really liked No Way Out. Admittedly, there aren't a lot of books on Iraq and Afghanistan that I haven't read.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Yeah, First In was really really good. I actually just re-read it a little while ago. The guy who took over after Schroen wrote Jawbreaker, it and Kill Bin Laden are both largely about Tora Bora and they're crazy as hell too. The early Afghan war was really interesting to read about. I know people really like Forever War by Dexter Filkins, the first parts of the book about Afghanistan in those days were awesome, but I didn't think the Iraq parts were that great. It's interesting how Iraq was The Big War, but honestly there have been a lot better books written about Afghanistan.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

hannibal posted:

I got about 2/3 through The Generals before I lost interest. It was an ok book but I just couldn't get through to the end. I haven't read any of Tom Ricks' other books, although I do enjoy his blog (The Best Defense) - there are some pretty good commenters on there.

Agreed, I'm not a fan of Ricks' books (or views, to be honest. The Petraeus dicksucking is excessive) but I thoroughly enjoy his blog. I've written some guest columns, and am a regular commenter.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

The Climb by Anatoly Boukreev is on the same topic as Into Thin Air and way better. Into Thin Air is well-written, but kind of full of poo poo.

• Locked thread