Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

keyrock posted:

Hebert McBride really seemed to thrive in trench warfare. The Western front from 1914 to 1916 was a theme park for him, between trench raiding and sniping.

He comes across as one of those who flourish in warfare and are unable to cope with peacetime. Regardless, this book was one of the core texts in American sniper doctrine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1614271674/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Reflections of a Warrior:Six Years as a Green beret in Vietnam by Medal of Honor recipient Franklin Miller is similar, but about Vietnam obviously. He was one of those guys that thrived in warfare as well, and had difficulty transitioning to being in an Army at peace (he ended up staying in until 1992). Blows my mind that he spent 7 years in Vietnam and 6 of those in Special Forces and somehow didn't get killed, especially considering the types of missions he was on. Definitely an uncommon type of individual.

http://www.amazon.com/Reflections-Warrior-Years-Green-Vietnam/dp/0743464990

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Has anyone read The Soviet Tragedy by Martin Malia? I have to read it for my History of the Soviet Union class. It's pretty interesting and it appears to be considered the premier history on the Soviet Union.

The Soviets were definitely a much more interesting and terrifying adversary for the West than the jihadists and terrorists of modern times.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Is that the book where they tie civilians to the sides of their vehicles and drop them off at the next town over as a means of deterring attacks while travelling between villages?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

If you're interested in Roman historical fiction check out the Marcus Didius Falco series of books by Lindsey Davis. He's kind of like a Roman era private investigator/secret agent. Her books are all pretty well researched and historically accurate. The first one is The Silver Pigs, most of the series is in the 4-4.5 star range on Amazon.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Shakespeare spoke Early Modern English :eng101:

Old English is so different that you wouldn't be able understand it, let alone read it. Especially since it was written in Anglo-Saxon Runes for hundreds of years.

Sounded cool as hell though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y13cES7MMd8

Middle English is also mostly unintelligible though there's more familiar sounding words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE0MtENfOMU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Amazon just launched Kindle Unlimited which is basically netflix for books, you can get a 30 day free trial right now. $9.99 a month for unlimited access to over 600,000 ebooks plus several thousand audio books.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Anyone heard of Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos? Has a lot of good reviews on Amazon and it's one of their Kindle Unlimited books, supposed to be military sci-fi along the lines of Heinlein and Joe Haldeman.

edit: Steel World seems interesting too, Earth becomes part of a vast Alien empire to avoid destruction. All members of the empire have to trade something and Earth's commodity are it's mercenaries since the other Alien species are too civilized to have standing armies.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 19, 2014

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Hopefully Amazon will add more/better authors to their Kindle Unlimited over time. I remember Netflix streaming being mostly lovely low quality movies when it first launched.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

hannibal posted:

Also about the Roman Empire but with a military focus (and of course, much more recent) is The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire. It goes into great detail about Roman military organization, defenses (the limes), tactics, logistics, and (duh) strategy. The same guy wrote a similar book about the Byzantine Empire that I haven't gotten around to yet.

I have this book but I only just started reading it and not very far into it, but it is really interesting. It's not often that someone with an international relations background writes a book about poo poo that happened 2 thousand years ago, so it's pretty neat.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

This is a great book, I think he wrote two books about SOG.

Nearly every SF book you'll read about Vietnam will talk about Montagnards, Nungs or some other indigenous peoples they train and fight with.

Robin Moore's The Green Berets is pretty good and iirc the first book about SF and written by a civilian that went through SF training and was spent time in Vietnam with SF troops. Doesn't have much in common with John Wayne's movie The Green Berets which is sort of based on the book. Don't read his newer book written about SF and the invasion of Afghanistan though, one of his sources ended up being grade A bullshitter Jack Idema who never made it in SF and was despised by everyone else, they just tried to keep him away from anything important until they could get rid of him.

Reflections of a Warrior is a memoir by Medal of Honor Recipient Franklin Miller. Really gets into the mindset of the kind of guy that would spend 7 and a half years in Vietnam, most of it with SOG.

There's another book about SOG from an SF officers perspective, iirc it's called 18 Months in SOG but I don't remember the authors name. I vaguely remember him talking about some of the weird and ultimately useless technology they sent to SF to test in the field.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It looks good to me, I'm going to try to read it sometime. The content doesn't seem at all surprising to me considering the kind of situations SF soldiers found themselves in during Vietnam. Seems like a similar sentiment expressed by Franklin Miller in his book, he's also very upfront about the brutality and violence of his time in Vietnam and with a mindset I don't think many people expect when they read a book about Vietnam.

Here's Miller's book http://www.amazon.com/Reflections-W...ns+of+a+Warrior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Pretty sure you're thinking of Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney, who isn't very highly regarded by his peers.

• Locked thread