Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Double Plus Good posted:

I'll get the vet to do a more thorough check on our next visit! The last time we went was her first and it was just a general checking over, plus the vet was preoccupied with her ears (which had a pretty bad infection). The benefit I've read for dry food is that the crunching is good for their teeth, which is what I was worried about her missing out on. Is there a way to stretch a can of wet food, by maybe mixing it with some kibble or something?

As long as both foods are balanced, then mixing them won't cause a problem.

The tooth benefits with dry tend to be overstated. Chewing can certainly help with dental hygiene, but most kibbles don't provide the chew necessary (and most dogs don't chew their kibbles anyway). Chew toys are far better for dental health than dry food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
How do I get my fat dumb cat to eat wet food?

She's 9ish? A bit overweight, here's some history:

- I fed her kitten food when she was little, nothing fancy, can't remember the brand.
- Because I didn't know any better, she spent a year or three after that eating FANCY FEAST CANNED :[
- I then switched her gradually to Blue Buffalo dry, rotating varieties. The duck seems to cause her to have a bad allergic reaction, but the other "Natural Evolutionary Diet" varieties seems to do her just fine.
- Lately I've wanted to switch her to a more canned diet for all the typical reasons, but she's really picky about it. I literally bought a can of every variety of Blue Buffalo that doesn't feature duck and have been trying them out on her. Typically, they will just sit in the bowl until I have to throw them out. A lot of times she will just lick off the gravy.

Any tips? Here's the fat princess in her castle:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

:siren:Recall alert!:siren:

Iams/Eukanuba dry recalled for Salmonella concerns. Information here:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm365154.htm

Both dog and cat food has been affected.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate

AlternateAccount posted:

She's 9ish? A bit overweight, here's some history:

- I fed her kitten food when she was little, nothing fancy, can't remember the brand.
- Because I didn't know any better, she spent a year or three after that eating FANCY FEAST CANNED :[
- I then switched her gradually to Blue Buffalo dry, rotating varieties. The duck seems to cause her to have a bad allergic reaction, but the other "Natural Evolutionary Diet" varieties seems to do her just fine.
- Lately I've wanted to switch her to a more canned diet for all the typical reasons, but she's really picky about it. I literally bought a can of every variety of Blue Buffalo that doesn't feature duck and have been trying them out on her. Typically, they will just sit in the bowl until I have to throw them out. A lot of times she will just lick off the gravy.

Any tips? Here's the fat princess in her castle:

Buy some of this stuff. I use it as seasoning for my cats when they get tired of the same wet food: http://www.amazon.com/Purina-Fortif...ords=fortiflora

It has animal digest so it's really palatable for cats. I just sprinkle a bit on and mix it together. They love it.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
I need some advice. Our kitty is over weight and we have been struggling with it for a year now. She gets exercise and we measure her portions but she is staying steady at 11.5 pounds. Her vet recommended looking for food with fewer calories right now she is on Blue Buffalo Indoor Health dry food. We have done the BB weight control but the effects were minimal. She has been on BB since she was a kitten and I don't know what other brands to try.

So what is a dry food of comparable quality with BB, but fewer calories? Google just tossed up a bunch of brands comparing how awesome they are compared to others, but I didn't find much raw data.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

NinjaPete posted:

I need some advice. Our kitty is over weight and we have been struggling with it for a year now. She gets exercise and we measure her portions but she is staying steady at 11.5 pounds. Her vet recommended looking for food with fewer calories right now she is on Blue Buffalo Indoor Health dry food. We have done the BB weight control but the effects were minimal. She has been on BB since she was a kitten and I don't know what other brands to try.

So what is a dry food of comparable quality with BB, but fewer calories? Google just tossed up a bunch of brands comparing how awesome they are compared to others, but I didn't find much raw data.
Is there a reason you don't want to just feed her a smaller amount of food?

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

Crooked Booty posted:

Is there a reason you don't want to just feed her a smaller amount of food?

She gets around 1/2 or 1/3 a cup a day. I asked the vet if we should be doing that and he suggested trying a different brand instead of cutting down on the amount. Of course he then suggested science diet...

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

NinjaPete posted:

She gets around 1/2 or 1/3 a cup a day. I asked the vet if we should be doing that and he suggested trying a different brand instead of cutting down on the amount. Of course he then suggested science diet...
I know it seems small, but there's a huge difference between 1/3 cup and 1/2 cup a day when you're talking about an animal that only needs to eat maybe 150 calories per day. I would start by using a measuring cup and feeding a strict, level 1/3 cup per day, not heaping. If you feed more than one meal per day, fill up the measuring cup once in the morning and dispense the meals from that.

1/4 cup per day is plenty for a lot of cats, but it depends on the food and the cat. The problem with reducing the amount too much is that most foods aren't designed to be fed in tiny amounts, so you run the risk of causing a nutrient deficiency just because you aren't feeding enough. One of the first problems you'll encounter with a food like Blue Buffalo Indoor is that she won't be getting enough protein. She'll lose weight, but she'll be losing both muscle mass and fat, and ideally you want her to maintain her muscle and just ditch the fat. For this reason, there are some prescription weight-loss diets you can get from the vet that are super nutritionally dense, so even if you reduce the amount/calories really low, they'll still be getting enough protein and other nutrients. The best one of these is probably Purina OM, but you may not be happy with the ingredient list. If your cat is super obese at 11.5 lbs and should weigh more like 7 lbs, you may have to go this route to get results safely.

If your cat is just chubby and should weigh more like 10 lbs, you can probably do fine with a non-prescription diet. I'd start by doing the strict 1/3 cup a day of Blue Buffalo Indoor, but if you need to go lower than that, I'd switch to a higher protein food. There are a bunch of options in the OP, but if she likes Blue Buffalo, you could try Wilderness (the non-indoor one). Wilderness is a lot higher in protein, which will help maintain her muscle mass and keep her metabolism up, but it's actually lower in calories than regular Blue Indoor. So you could switch from 1/3 cup indoor to 1/3 cup Wilderness and see how that goes (and transition gradually, of course).

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Her target weight is ten pounds, so I think we will switch to 1/3 cup and start considering Wilderness.

You think I should be getting just the plain wilderness and not even weight control?

Thanks for the advice by the way, she has been "a little overweight" for awhile now and we don't know what else to do.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

NinjaPete posted:

You think I should be getting just the plain wilderness and not even weight control?
I'd go with the plain Wilderness personally. They're really close to the same number of calories. The main difference is that Wilderness has a lot more protein, and Weight Control has a lot more fiber and carbohydrates.

Cats can lose weight just fine on either type of diet as long as the calories are restricted enough, but studies have shown that cats dieting on high-fiber/carb food lose muscle mass too, which makes them skinnyfat with the couch-potato metabolism that goes along with that. High protein is the way to go in almost all cases. As an added bonus, most cats get feelings of satiety based on protein, so your cat is less likely to scream at you because it's starving with the regular Wildnerness.

It's sort of like the difference between a person losing weight by eating 1300 calories worth of chicken and veggies versus a person eating 1300 calories worth of pizza. Both ways can result in weight loss, but one person will come out a lot healthier at the other end.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

NinjaPete posted:

Have you tried Blue Buffalo Longevity (or is that the weight control you referred to)?

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

lamb posted:

Have you tried Blue Buffalo Longevity (or is that the weight control you referred to)?

No I haven't. Sadly the nearest pet store that has any thing high end in stock is 45 minutes away, and their selection is pretty limited. But they did have Wilderness so we'll give it a shot.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Maximusi posted:

Buy some of this stuff. I use it as seasoning for my cats when they get tired of the same wet food: http://www.amazon.com/Purina-Fortif...ords=fortiflora

It has animal digest so it's really palatable for cats. I just sprinkle a bit on and mix it together. They love it.

OK, I will give that a try. thanks.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We've been slowly transitioning our brother and sister cats from Dick Van Patten's whatever food to Nature's Variety Instinct and we've run into a bit of a snafu. The cats had been doing fine on it over the month or so where we mixed the two foods and only the new food towards then end of the last bag. But when we opened a fresh bag, it seems that our boy cat likes it SO MUCH he'll gorge and barf, repeatedly. My girlfriend found a bowl that's supposed to slow them down--it's like an upside down bowl with holes in it they have to reach into to pull out the food. It seems to work OK for now but we've still got a couple issues:

1. My girlfriend is worried that they aren't getting enough food and are going to get fatty liver disease and die. It seems like they'd spend more time getting the food out if they were that hungry. They are a little overweight and we're trying to cut down, but haven't actually trimmed their portions below recommended amounts yet (wanted to get them used to the better food first) so the only way they'd be getting not enough food is if they were just giving up on getting the food out and starving. I've watched them pull the food out and it doesn't look like it's THAT challenging for them.

2. The boy cat still barfs sometimes. This morning he did it and there wasn't even much food in it. I'm not sure what the issue is. Before he was definitely gorging but it was mostly clear stuff with just a little food.

The boy was just in to the vet after having a bad allergic reaction to some almond butter off something in the sink (almond butter has since been banished from the house.) We panicked a bit on this round of barfing because we thought it might be related, but after talking to the vet it seems like it's mostly something to do with eating too fast or just indigestion. The cat doesn't seem uncomfortable at all after the barf and is still pooping and peeing fine.

I'm wondering if we should try a different food all together? I don't want to make things worse by switching things up on them again. I also really like the idea of Nature's Variety since the factory is only an hour away from where I live. Obviously that's not enough reason to stick with a food that makes the kitties sick though.

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

So I went out and bought cat food for the first time today after reading the thread this morning. I had to do it from memory, but can someone give me recommendations for next time? I only got small cans to see if they like it.

For two ~8 lb cats, 1 3 oz can of blue buffalo basic in the morning and then 1 cup blue buffalo basic dry food split between them at night. I don't want them to get fat.

Also, does this look okay? BFF cat food. I didn't see it in the cat food lists, but it's cheap and seems to have good reviews. They're shelter cats, so I'm hoping that they aren't too picky.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

powderific posted:

I'm wondering if we should try a different food all together? I don't want to make things worse by switching things up on them again. I also really like the idea of Nature's Variety since the factory is only an hour away from where I live. Obviously that's not enough reason to stick with a food that makes the kitties sick though.

One of my cats used to eat too quickly, so here's what worked for me:

1) For kibble, I would put large marbles in the food dish, each at least 1 inch in diameter. The cat would have to shove marbles out of the way to get to his kibble. If you do this, just know the marbles have to be washed like normal dishes. I was lucky that my cat is kind of dumb, so he never figured out he could roll the marbles out of the dish.

2) When I switched him over to wet food, the problem went away completely. No more marbles! I use a pate-style food for him, so I don't know if he would have a problem with other textures.

I can't comment on the clear liquid without much food, though. I'd take my cat to the vet if that happened more than once. Excessive puking can be caused by a blockage, like a hairball that hasn't moved, or parasites (like worms, yay!), or lots of other things.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

HelloSailorSign posted:

:siren:Recall alert!:siren:

Iams/Eukanuba dry recalled for Salmonella concerns. Information here:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm365154.htm

Both dog and cat food has been affected.
I actually work in the call center taking these recall calls. Everyone who thinks they have an affected bag should really call in to make sure. While P&G has said they have not found salmonella in any of the food, some of the people who have called in have had pets showing symptoms of an infection. As I understand P&G is compensating for vet bills if the food was the cause of infection.

I am not a spokesperson for P&G, I don't even work for them, I work in an IT call center and due to corporate weirdness I am taking these customer calls. A lot of customer calls. I am not used to taking customer calls. :suicide:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LoreOfSerpents posted:

One of my cats used to eat too quickly, so here's what worked for me:

1) For kibble, I would put large marbles in the food dish, each at least 1 inch in diameter. The cat would have to shove marbles out of the way to get to his kibble. If you do this, just know the marbles have to be washed like normal dishes. I was lucky that my cat is kind of dumb, so he never figured out he could roll the marbles out of the dish.

2) When I switched him over to wet food, the problem went away completely. No more marbles! I use a pate-style food for him, so I don't know if he would have a problem with other textures.

I can't comment on the clear liquid without much food, though. I'd take my cat to the vet if that happened more than once. Excessive puking can be caused by a blockage, like a hairball that hasn't moved, or parasites (like worms, yay!), or lots of other things.

Cool, I think the weird bowl is working sortof like the marbles. The clear with not much food has only happened once and our vet doesn't think it's any kind of blockage as the cat actually seems more energetic and rowdy than ever. We were thinking about switching to wet food anyway so perhaps our solution isn't that far away.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I'm planning on home cooking for Eccles, my 2 year old border terrier bitch, and just wondered if you wise folks could cast an eye over my proposed plan? I've cribbed the recipes from a dog recipe book and then I've attempted to balance the calcium content myself. The plan is to feed something like chicken 5 times a week and fish 3 times a week. I'm cooking everything, no raw food.

My dog is 18lbs and averagely active so I've figured she needs about 532 calories a day using the Waltham formula. I'm going to balance her calcium at 1000mg calcium per 1 lb of meat.

Chicken
1 whole chicken, boiled and flesh removed, broth saved for adding later.
4 large carrots
2 stalks celery
1 small butternut squash
1 large sweet potato (no skin)
1/2 cup parsley
1 cup quinoa
kelp powder
salmon oil

Fish
2 cups of human quality sardines
1/3 cup brussles sprouts
1/3 cup spinach
1/3 cup parsley
flax meal
kelp powder

Am I missing out any essential minerals, vitamins, fats or other nutrients here? The recipe books says to add pro biotics but all the ones I've found have corn additives and Eccles is allergic to that poo poo. Is is really necessary to add pro biotics or am I covering all the bases with what I have already?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
What book are these recipes from? Or more importantly, what are the credentials of the person who wrote the recipes?

No one here is really qualified to say whether these recipes are complete and balanced, but considering that sardines have something like three times as much phosphorus per gram as chicken meat, I strongly doubt they are. Is there a reason you don't want to consult a veterinary nutritionist, or just use a vitamin premix like from BalanceIt?

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

The book I used was How to make dog food by Susannah Cane - credentials according to Amazon are... 'mom' (oh God, now I feel stupid). I also got one called Dinner for Dogs by Henriette Morrison but it was all crazy stuff like doggy mince pies so no good really. The gently caress up with the fish was my doing, showing how terribly ignorant I am at this really.

I have looked at BalanceIT but I'm in the UK so getting stuff shipped over from America can sting me so badly on import tax. Last time I ordered something from the US customs screwed me over for £50, it hurt. They also won't help me with recipes unless they are in direct contact with my vet as Eccles has allergies. I didn't think my small town vet in England would deal with some US website.

I would be very happy to deal with a veterinary nutritionist here though, I know this sounds absolutely stupid but I didn't actually know there were people here in the UK who did that sort of thing. It's an utterly bewildering area to try navigate as a total novice, I've spent 2 days desperately trying to research this and everywhere I go is different. I'm googling for nutritionists in my area and nothing is coming up, is this something my vet would refer me to maybe?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
I'd try contacting these folks: https://www.petnutritionservice.co.uk

I don't know anything about veterinary specialties in the UK other than what I've learned in the last 10 minutes. It looks like the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons doesn't have a nutrition specialty, but the European Board of Veterinary Specialists does, so you could also search for a nutritionist through their website -- the specialty is ECVCN and I get two results in the UK. But I'd probably just start with that Edinburgh site because they definitely offer the service of formulating home cooked diets.

ETA: There's this guy, too, but the link to RVC's nutrition service doesn't work so who knows if it still exists or what.

Crooked Booty fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 25, 2013

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Thank you so much! There is some good information here, appreciate it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Recall alert!

Limited amounts of PurinaONE for.... Salmonella!

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm366953.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I have a cat that's been on a urinary SO diet for several years, so she's been getting Royal Canin's prescription formula. But while she's bladder stone-free, this food has turned her into a rotund ball of blubber and fur. Even the "moderate calorie" urinary SO formula has done little to help her lose weight.

At her most recent trip to the vet, the veterinarian suggested that because she hasn't had any stones in years it might be safe to move her onto a diet food, and he specifically prescribed Hill's Feline C/D. But once again I'm a bit concerned about ingredients, however the vet said if I find another prescription brand that is overall healthier but still accomplishes what C/D does, to let him know and he'll sign off on getting it.

So with that in mind... is there a better alternative to Hill's? Or for that matter, does anyone else besides Royal Canin do urinary SO? If there's better quality brands for either of these, I'm all for it.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 8, 2013

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Ballz posted:

I have a cat that's been on a urinary SO diet for several years, so she's been getting Royal Canin's prescription formula. But while she's bladder stone-free, this food has turned her into a rotund ball of blubber and fur. Even the "moderate calorie" urinary SO formula has done little to help her lose weight.

At her most recent trip to the vet, the veterinarian suggested that because she hasn't had any stones in years it might be safe to move her onto a diet food, and he specifically prescribed Hill's Feline C/D. But once again I'm a bit concerned about ingredients, however the vet said if I find another prescription brand that is overall healthier but still accomplishes what C/D does, to let him know and he'll sign off on getting it.

So with that in mind... is there a better alternative to Hill's? Or for that matter, does anyone else besides Royal Canin do urinary SO? If there's better quality brands for either of these, I'm all for it.

If your primary concern is that your cat is fat, the problem isn't the type of food, just the amount. Is feeding her less of the SO not an option?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Dr. Chaco posted:

If your primary concern is that your cat is fat, the problem isn't the type of food, just the amount. Is feeding her less of the SO not an option?

She's old so I suspect her metabolism has slowed down considerably; my other cat eats twice as much and is skinny as a rail.

If I fed her less she'd just get incredibly pissy... like, literally. She's left special presents on my bed when she doesn't get her way.

Having said that, the vet wants her on prescription diet food. I just was wondering if Hill's C/D is the best there is.

Edit: I do have some misgivings about taking her off the SO entirely, so I might ultimately mix the two foods together. I learned what happens to her when she's not on SO shortly after I found her abandoned, I don't want her to ever go through that again. :(

Ballz fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 8, 2013

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

We've decided to try giving Blue Buffalo a go instead of the Kirkland Doc has been eating. What's the consensus on large breed vs regular puppy chow for what looks to be a purebred lab? He's 11 weeks old (ish) and at one point was abandoned, which I hope won't affect his long-term health since he was picked up starving to death.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
I have an older cat who's been eating canned Wellness for a couple of years, based on the recommendation in the OP. She has a sensitive stomach, though, and if she goes too long without eating (like overnight), sometimes she barfs about 10 minutes after she first eats. As long as I keep a little food out throughout the day, she's fine, but I don't always guess right since there's another cat in the house and I don't want to leave too much out and let it get rotten.

I'm considering trying some other brands to see if they agree with her more. Are any of the canned brands in the OP better suited to a delicate tummy?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

So they recently implemented a pretty steep price hike on Orijen dry cat food around where I live, which is what I had been feeding my cats for quite some time. I'm looking for alternatives that won't bankrupt me quite as badly, and I keep coming back to Acana Wild Prairie, which I think is made by the same company that does Orijen. Anyone has experience with it? The meat content isn't quite as high as Orijen but it still looks pretty good ingredient-wise and, crucially, is grain-free.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008
I fed my cat Acana for a while since she didn't really like the Orijen. She liked Acana but I switched to Solid Gold a few months ago since it was cheaper.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

onionradish posted:

I have an older cat who's been eating canned Wellness for a couple of years, based on the recommendation in the OP. She has a sensitive stomach, though, and if she goes too long without eating (like overnight), sometimes she barfs about 10 minutes after she first eats. As long as I keep a little food out throughout the day, she's fine, but I don't always guess right since there's another cat in the house and I don't want to leave too much out and let it get rotten.

I'm considering trying some other brands to see if they agree with her more. Are any of the canned brands in the OP better suited to a delicate tummy?

That's difficult because most of the premium foods tend to be richer and thus harder on animals with sensitive stomachs... Though animals can also be sensitive to proteins, so switching from one brand to another may help if the proteins in it were changed.

Have you consulted with your vet on this? The length of time between eating overnight (and seeming correlated with longer times) can sometimes be associated with something called Bilious Vomiting Syndrome where if an animal doesn't eat for a prolonged period of time they throw up, but are totally fine otherwise as long as they get something to eat at more frequent intervals.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

HelloSailorSign posted:

That's difficult because most of the premium foods tend to be richer and thus harder on animals with sensitive stomachs... Though animals can also be sensitive to proteins, so switching from one brand to another may help if the proteins in it were changed.

Have you consulted with your vet on this? The length of time between eating overnight (and seeming correlated with longer times) can sometimes be associated with something called Bilious Vomiting Syndrome where if an animal doesn't eat for a prolonged period of time they throw up, but are totally fine otherwise as long as they get something to eat at more frequent intervals.
Thank you. I'll ask the vet. I'll also try varying the diet a bit.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Background: 2 Boston Terriers and one Yorkie mix in the house. We've thought that one of the Bostons has had food/seasonal allergies for the longest time. We saw a pet allergist, spent $1000 and basically discovered nothing. Never got to the point of getting allergy shots. At one point, we were very sure he was allergic to chicken, so we tried several foods, and ended up settling on Nature's Recipe Pumpkin and Salmon. All the dogs have been on that for over a year now, and have been doing well. The problem Boston (Riot) still has seasonal allergies, but a weekly bath with some allergy shampoo seems to help that, along with a daily antihistamine pill.

Also, as a bonus, we make our own food for them, which consists of taking some beef, and chucking it in the food processor with some green beans and kale. We freeze that into ice cube trays and each dog gets one cube in addition to their kibble.

Currently, he seems to be getting tired of the food. He's just not that into eating it anymore. So we've been looking at alternatives. At first I thought maybe had was sick or something, but gums and temperature are fine, he's not tired, and everything else is normal.

We went into Petsmart, and were pretty freaked out to see that nearly all the high end foods (Blue Buffalo, Timberwolf, Solid Gold) had chicken fat in them except for maybe one or two. There were some limited ingredient diets that didn't have this, but by and large Chicken Fat was a common occurence...I have no idea why I capitalized that. Anyways, we settled on Blue Buffalo Longevity (which is mainly fish, but has chicken fat in it), and tried it out. Everyone has been on it for the past week and no problems yet. Of course I know that it can take weeks for problems to rear their head, but so far, so good. And yes, we are slowly moving them over to this food for the moment, we didn't just switch up 100% right away.

So today I took a trip to this holistic pet store that overcharges for everything, but the workers at least seem to know their stuff. I asked about the chicken fat and the lady said that fat is just a lipid and is normally not the cause for allergies. That it's the actual meat/protein in there that causes allergy problems. I'm trying to check here and see if you guys think that's true also?

Finally, it's a lot of work to prepare food each week for them. We've used Primal, Bravo, etc. before, but found it to be expensive as anything.

I estimated our food costs to usually be about $50/month for the dry food and another $50 for the beef that we prepare. So about $100/month all told. Anyone know the current costs of moving to frozen or freeze dried? It's two 20 pound Bostons and a 10 pound Yorkie Poo.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
Why are you spending $50 a month on a treat that is "a lot of work to prepare"? Beef and greens are not nutritionally complete and should not make up more than 10% of a dog's diet.

The pet store lady is right that allergies are not typically targeted at fats, but your average chicken fat is not 100% fat. If there's a little bit of chicken protein in that fat (which there almost certainly is), or chicken dog food was made on the same machinery recently, that can be enough to set off a chicken-allergic dog. Whether or not it will a problem for your dog is anyone's guess.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Crooked Booty posted:

Why are you spending $50 a month on a treat that is "a lot of work to prepare"? Beef and greens are not nutritionally complete and should not make up more than 10% of a dog's diet.

The pet store lady is right that allergies are not typically targeted at fats, but your average chicken fat is not 100% fat. If there's a little bit of chicken protein in that fat (which there almost certainly is), or chicken dog food was made on the same machinery recently, that can be enough to set off a chicken-allergic dog. Whether or not it will a problem for your dog is anyone's guess.

We take the prepped food and add it to the kibble. We did that because our dogs were pretty finicky and didn't like straight kibble. Any recommendations so we wouldn't have to do that would be appreciated too!

Panic Attack
Oct 29, 2012

Float like a bulldozer
Trying to catch a butterfly

AlternateAccount posted:

This was quite a while back but having trouble getting their cat to eat wet food- we had that with our fluffball a while back. Old lady couldn't eat the hard stuff anymore, but was doing the exact same stuff with the wet food- just licking the gravy right off. Our solution was to mash it up with a fork until it was more or less paste- it wasn't ideal and it was a hassle, but at least she ate! Still, i'm no expert, so I pose the question- was this a wise decision? Always been a bit curious if we should have just tried making it more appealing in the first place.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

nwin posted:

We take the prepped food and add it to the kibble. We did that because our dogs were pretty finicky and didn't like straight kibble. Any recommendations so we wouldn't have to do that would be appreciated too!

Don't give them the high value food (prepped by you) and just give them the kibble. Most dogs that are "too finicky" are usually overweight, or wouldn't be hurt by a small amount of weightloss anyway, so holding out on them until they stop being princesses isn't a bad thing.

Most (99%) of dogs won't starve themselves if there is food they eat available. They're just going to hold out for the good stuff (so they'll probably act like you're terrible at least in the short term), which tastes great to them, but nutritionally isn't good for them. It's akin to the parents that let their kids eat only chicken McNuggets because "that's all they want to eat!"

I know that if I'm hungry, more things taste awesome to me. If I'm not hungry but someone has a beautiful filet mignon shoved under my nose I'm gonna eat that because it's delicious, not because I'm hungry.

tl;dr:
Don't give them the treat beef. Give them their kibble. Do not relent. Make them hungry. They will eat it, eventually, and most likely aren't going to get ill from their hunger strike.

Heknocentric Thinker
Sep 5, 2004
boo! ^.^

Aaargh we feed our 5 cats the Wysong Uretic formula (plus royal canin urinary wet food) and now 3 of them won't eat the dry because Wysong changed the formula slightly. Of course we just got 8x5lb delivered last week. I hope they get over it and eat it again, if not I am seriously thinking about just switching to the royal canin vet line urinary dry food. Our vet is cool with the Wysong uretic dry, I thought it looked slightly better than the RC one, but if they won't eat it well what good is it...

Are there any other urinary dry foods out there that cats actually like? Mine hated the science diet one, the Purina one stank really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpudNYC
Jun 2, 2004
We've been feeding our two kittens SmallBatch beef. it's on the expensive side at about $3/day total but the cats are in perfect shape and they both go nuts for the stuff.

http://www.smallbatchpets.com/batches.html