Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006
I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with Hill's T/D?
Took Cookie (7 yr old cat) to the vet the other day and he mentioned she had early stages of tarter build up. He said ideally we should be brushing her teeth but since that's easier said than done, he recommended at least 50% of her dry food be Hill's T/D. Currently we are feeding her Orijen and she's doing great on it. Super soft fur and her poops no longer clear out the house. Looking at Hill's ingredient list it'd definitely not as good Orijen.

As an aside: anyone have luck brushing their cat's teeth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006

Shnooks posted:

A lot of people here will say TD is a crappy food full of grains, and they're kind of right. TD is an OK food. We sell it at my clinic and we often recommend people give it as treats or something as it can make your pet kind of fat. I believe they coat the kibbles with something?

We also sell various dental chews like these by CET that we recommend a lot. My cat had no loving clue how to eat them, but some of our veterinarian's cats love them.

Re: Brushing their teeth. I saw this great video on how to get them started on it, but I can't find it. Basically it was a 4 step process. First step would be to get them used to the toothpaste, so for like a week you'll give the cat the toothpaste on your finger till he or she starts eating it regularly. Next step would be to put it on the tooth brush and let them eat it off of the toothbrush, and you can do that for a week. I think the third step was to get the cat used to having it in it's mouth? And 4th was basically that you should be able to brush (somewhat). I've found it'd worked a bit, but I'm really lazy about brushing my cat's teeth...

Edit: This is the video! It's about 7 minutes long http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/pet-owners/cat-teeth/entire-video

I like the idea of using TD as a treat. Definitely want to keep Orijen as her main diet. Thanks for the video! I want give brushing her teeth a try and see how it goes before buying any "fancy" foods.

Dr. Chaco posted:

I brush mine (nearly) daily. The gradual getting-them-used-to-it would be the nice way to do it, and I am sure it's doable, but I didn't have the patience so I'm mean. I hold them down, hold their head in one hand, brush each side quickly with the other (I use a regular human toothbrush and no toothpaste), and give them a treat as soon as I release them. They hate it, but they also love the treat, and the know they only get it after the teeth get brushed so they remind me each night and hold still while I grab their head.

Hmmm I think I might buy a kids toothbrush just for her :3: I can probably bribe her with the Kong salmon paste cat treat. She goes nuts for it.

Thanks for the Tips :)