Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I'm dealing with a rescue about getting a pair of kittens soon; they'll have been born late April, at least going by when they were found. Is it important to buy kitten food (the price seems about the same), and if so, how long should I feed it to them before changing to adult cat food? Until they're a year old?

I'm looking at going with this brand, it's not on the list: http://www.petcurean.com/for-cats/now-fresh/grain-free-kitten and here's their nutrient profile: http://www.petcurean.com/nutrient-profiles/NOW-GF-KITTEN-CF.pdf

The numbers look pretty good to me for a dry food, but I'd like if someone else double-checked for me please. They'll certainly get wet food too, but I work 12-hour shifts so I'd rather have something dry on hand for the days I'm out for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Tamarillo posted:

I feed my cats Petcurean food, but their Go! brand not their Now Fresh stuff because Go! is for all life stages and I needed to get Hugo onto a stable and unchanging diet so he wouldn't have horrible rear end problems anymore. I've had nothing but positive experiences with the food, and was assured by this thread that it's top notch stuff. For little kittens you do need to get the all life stages food OR kitten food.

Edit: Go! and Now aren't on the cat food list, but they are in the premium list for dog food.

Okay cool, I thought it looked good but I wanted to be sure. Got me a coupon for the kitten food then. Thanks!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Niemat posted:

Does anyone order their cat food off amazon? If so, are you happy with doing it that way?

Our closest local pet food shop stopped selling Solid Gold Indigo Moon last week (which we switched from because they stopped selling Orijen a few months ago), and I'm getting frustrated. I could drive 40 mins each way to get the food, but that seems excessive to me... I'll certainly do it if that's the best option I have, but I thought I'd explore other avenues first. :)

Edit: the place we used to get it said they're unwilling to special order it, as well.

I would except for the fact that in Canada, the only thing you can get with Prime shipping are Hill's products and Tiki Cat (not to knock that, of course, it seems like a fine food, but I work long enough hours I can't feed exclusively wet). Amazon is certainly the place to get litter though, as someone with no car.

Actually, how is Hill's Ideal Balance for cats? It's actually listed quite well for dogs in the OP, but I wouldn't use that to gauge a generally dodgy foodmaker. I don't know that I'd sitch from Orijen to it unless it was the best drat cat food ever but it's nice to know where one's options are.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I know Orijen's about as good as it's possible for a dry food to be. I certainly wouldn't worry about them being unhealthy on it at all, so long as they're getting enough water.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Blue Buffalo has a line of treats that's corn and wheat free, my girls seem to like them a lot.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

A cat food I haven't seen discussed much (or at all) in this thread is the Trader Joe's store brand food. Here's an image of the ingredients because gently caress if I'm typing all that up.

Where does this fall on the terrible-to-excellent scale? I personally think it's pretty good but I could be wrong.

I dunno, I'm not a fan of 'animal liver', or the amount of brewer's rice and oat bran, but I figure you could do a lot worse.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

The placebo effect is a magical thing, really-- it can even 'work' on pets, in that people will think they're doing better because of whatever placebo it is. Reading the ingredients I don't think there's any sort of heavy metal in there.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Geez. I buy a frozen/raw thing from time to time as, like, a treat for my girls, but wowwie, some of these claims.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Looks like they still have a couple dry Evo cat foods? Still, what the hell. Seems one of my favourite wet cat foods is gone now too-- forget which, I usually remember it by the label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, I see that all over the place. For dry, I feed Acana, and fortunately I seem to always find that easily enough too.