Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

SpudNYC posted:

We've been feeding our two kittens SmallBatch beef. it's on the expensive side at about $3/day total but the cats are in perfect shape and they both go nuts for the stuff.

http://www.smallbatchpets.com/batches.html

Is there an AAFCO label on the bag? I'm not finding a mention on the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

My dog has pancreatis and will need to switch brands.

She's doing a bland diet for a week or so, then will need to get on some kind of low-fat food.

Any suggestions? The vet is pushing the Purina brand that they get paid to push. Doing a google search shows a few others, but didnt know if anyone had first-hand experience or knew off the top of their heads to save me some research? I live in Vermont, so getting some of the brands you guys talk about won't be easy.

Veterinarians do not get paid to push pet food, don't perpetuate that stupidity. Your veterinarian is recommending the diet because it is clinically proven to work. If the thought of prescription diet makes you that sad, you can go to a service like [url=https://secure.balanceit.com/ balance it [/URL] and have a board certified veterinary nutritionist formulate a diet especially for the needs of your dog.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Angry Fish posted:

Okay, goons. I wanted to ask the peanut gallery about some nutritional advice for my cat.

My wife, russian, has insisted on feeding him a raw food diet since he was two months old. He is an attractive cat, with a nice coat of fur, but I worry that if we continue down this road as we have for the past year and a half, he is going to have problems!

Here is what we typically prepare for him, and we weigh it out so that he eats only about 5-8% of his weight per day. I mix together an assortment of raw meats:
    3 lbs of chicken breast
    2 lbs beef, assorted cuts
    1 lb turkey breast, occasionally we will sub this out for more beef or chicken (or even fish):shobon:
    3 medium carrots, shredded
    1/3rd a head of dark green lettuce, shredded
    5-8 mushrooms (assorted), shredded
    5 broccolli heads, shredded
    taurine supplement (4 tablets of 500mg)

The wife bases this nutrition on a nostalgic, often unfollowed recipe that raised up her two house cats back in the motherland.

We have not consulted a vet, because she dislikes the whole "idea" of feeding our cat a dry food diet. She claims that they add perfumes and other chemicals to make the food appealing to animals, and from circumstantial evidence I agree. When Peter gets small helpings of dry food when we cannot prepare his meals beforehand (when we vacation for example), he almost demands the dry food when we get home.

Are we killing him slowly? We have been told by vets that he is a healthy little guy with some massive muscle bulk, but is that a problem?

It doesn't seem balanced to me, but I'm not that kind of vet. The best thing to do if you want to feed homemade raw would be to have a diet formulated for your cat by a veterinary nutritionist to ensure that it is balanced. Many won't formulate raw, but some do. I think U of T does them while working with your vet: University of Tennessee Veterinary Nutrition Service (email utvns@utk.edu) or you could try contacting someone near you: http://www.acvn.org/directory/