Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Just an FYI about Honest Kitchen foods since I know a couple other people feed it. I've been feeding Keen (the turkey and oats variety) for a while but this latest batch has been making Major barf up carrot chunks. I wrote the company asking if they changed the recipe to add more carrots and they responded saying that they recently switched to larger carrot flakes at the request of customers but some dogs have been doing poorly on them. New batches with smaller carrot flakes are coming out in June and if your dog is having problems with the amount of carrot currently they will replace your food now with a variety that doesn't have carrot or will send you a replacement later once the carrot issue is fixed. The representative also said that sometimes soaking the food longer before feeding softens the carrot enough for it not to be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Triangulum posted:

Instant Jellyfish, how long do those boxes of Honest Kitchen last Major? I've been thinking about trying out freeze dried but it seems really, really expensive.

I get the 4 lb boxes and he gets a bit less than a cup in the morning (he gets kibble at night in puzzle toys and training) and it lasts almost a month. I get the kind with grain because Major does better on that than ultra high protein grain free food so with that and the kibble I buy it ends up being about $55 a month for my 80lb dog. It seems really expensive because the boxes are so small but it rehydrates to sort of a giant amount so the 4 lb box is about equivalent to a 16 lb bag of kibble. Honestly, Major is finally pooping like a normal dog instead of playing bizarre poop mind games so I would pay twice as much for it if I had to.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

For what its worth I talked to my vet behaviorist about that study a couple years ago and she was really not impressed with the study methods and said at least for me not to bother with it if I was happy with the food he was on. She does sell the royal canin calm food but I don't know which situations she recommends it for.

Personally, I find Major does better behaviorally on a lower protein/higher fiber diet because high protein foods make him more constipated because of his behavior meds and that makes him anxious and antsy in the house. It was never severe constipation, just slightly backed up, but it made a big difference on his behavior in the house. He's on fromm weight management gold and honest kitchen now and does better on these 21-25% protein foods with 6.5%+ fiber than he did on 34%+ protein foods even if I gave him extra fiber.

Edit:
Probiotics really helped him too. It has to be the kind my behaviorist recommended though, proviable. I thought they should all be the same but I can definitely tell the difference between the good stuff, the cheap ones, and nothing at all. When Maj's gut is happy his mind is happy. Something about the enteric nervous system.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 7, 2013

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Garlic and DE are still super popular among new age-y farmers who refuse to do fecals but think worming with chemicals is evil somehow. That and apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar (not the processed kind!) does everything from get rid of lice to increase the number of female animals you have born apparently.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

There are a frightening amount of "monkey moms" out there so there may be someone who needs monkey chow in your vicinity and you don't even know it. Or at least you won't know it until one of them gets their faces eaten by their teenage macaque and ends up all over the news.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Not a vet or anything but my friend's cat has been on hydrolyzed protein food for over 5 years now because he shits blood when he eats any non-hydrolyzed protein and he's totally fine and healthy now. The prescription diets available seem well researched and meet all nutritional requirements even if their ingredients aren't something I would feed if I didn't need a prescription food.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Feeding less is fine, walking more is also fine. My 80 lb dog gets 2 cups of fromm gold and maintains his weight well on it. Different dogs have different metabolisms so the guidelines are really just guesses.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My dog got the morning barfs and a milkbone or similarly bland biscuit before bed has taken care of the issue. The only problem is now he gets super excited about his bedtime cookie and has started making me go to bed earlier and earlier. Any time I walk near his bed he races over and starts drooling.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Anyone have suggestions of good diet dog foods? My dog has plateaued on his diet about 2-3 pounds from where we'd like him so it's time for him to get put on a diet food to get the last couple pounds off.

I picked up a small bag of Fromm weight management today but I'm on the lookout for a plan B in case he doesn't like it or it messes too much with his sensitive stomach. Unfortunately the diet version of his current food (Acana) is only available in Canada or I'd go with that and call it a day.

My dog does well on fromm weight management but also did fine on wellness and wellness core reduced fat. He doesn't really need the weight loss aspect he just does better on high fiber, mid protein foods. I like fromm the best right now.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My active 80 lb dog eats about 660 calories a day to maintain his weight but every dog is different. As long as you are weighing them regularly to make sure they aren't losing weight drastically it's probably fine.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I was hardcore grain free super high protein small batch kibble for years, now both my dogs are on purina foods and doing better than on a lot of grain free brands I tried :shrug:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

amotea posted:

It takes quite a while for a complex system like the digestive system to evolve though. Dogs haven't been domesticated THAT long, some races longer than others of course. As an example, just look at the length of the digestive tract, or the type of jaws dogs have (they're made to cut things, not to chew things).

Dogs have been domesticated for well over 10,000 years which is certainly enough time for modifications to digestive processes. Specifically dogs produces significantly more amylase, used to digest starches, than wolves. Here's an article!

Feed your dog whatever you want but don't act like veterinary nutritionists are BIG PHARMA OMG because they don't recommend unstudied raw diets when this whole issue seems to stem from food that haven't gone through nutrition trials.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

We have discussed on PIFB how we all feed purina now and how angry we would have all been at ourselves a decade ago. Life is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I also felt weird switching to a grain inclusive food but I switched my old dog to purina bright mind (an old dog specific food) and he put on a ton of muscle that I'd been struggling to put back on him for years with various grain free foods. He looks just as good now at almost 12 as he did as a young dog. No one at the vet's office can believe his age. The large breed formula is 450 calories per cup, the corn/wheat/soy free formula is 423 calories per cup. I liked that it really helped him put on muscle instead of just making him old man tubby.