Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Dogdoo 8 posted:

I bought whatever the grain free version of Blue Buffalo is called. I didn't notice it had garlic in it until long after I got home. Then today I picked up some Canidae brand treats, got home and noticed garlic on the ingredients list. I think some company bigwigs got together somewhere and decided that garlic was trendy for some reason.

Nutty dog ladies who are into holistic medicine tout garlic as a natural flea repellant and never shut up about how they never have to harm their dog with "chemicals" to repel fleas because they cram them full of as much garlic + food-grade dichotomous earth as possible. Maybe something to do with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Nope, I used to post on dog forums full of aging hippies and crazies when I was like 19 and didn't know better and that was definitely A Thing.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Hey Mr Belds, I totally feed raw, kibble, home cooked stuff, and whatever I feel like so I am not a big spaz that freaks out over feeding stuff besides packaged food. That said, you should prob listen to the posters here because while yes, dogs (like humans) ARE amazingly adaptable and forgiving when it comes to nutrition, it's not something you want to just dick around and fly by the seat of your pants with. There's assloads of misinformation on the internet that will tell you exactly what you want to hear and possibly gently caress up your dog and it's much smarter to just feed AAFCO tested foods (raw, if you want, is fine!) until you've taken the time to learn a bunch about canine nutrition and start making changes, hth

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Just feed him less of the food he does well on, no need for diet food.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Post pics of him showing his current body condItion.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I'll post a satin ball recipe but I wanna see dat dog's weight first

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah he's skinny. Here's a link to a post containing the Satin Ball recipe I use http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3408341&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post399901458

Works really well assuming there's not some weird underlying medical poo poo.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Angry Fish posted:

Thank you for the referral! I sent an email to that address. There isn't a huge amount of information available through google on this, but my wife and the mother-in-law say that there is nothing wrong with this sort of diet.

I am the one doing the food prep every other week or so, and not only is it a fair amount of work (2-3 hours to get everything cut up and weighed), but I don't even know how to get the right amount of anything. He won't eat his veggies unless they're mixed very well with the proteins, and I don't even know if the supplement is necessary.

That recipe is not balanced at all but at the very least the taurine supplement is absolutely necessary and your cat will die quickly without the added taurine.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Corn is super high in fat but they are ducks in the park and it's not a huge portion of their diet so corn should be fine. If you wanted to nerd out you could buy gamebird feed from a feed store but it'd be comparatively expensive and not really worth the effort for park ducks you're just tossing treats to.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I have always been told by breeders to feed really crazy stuff. I just smile and nod and then do what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

lol I have literally never once brushed a dogs teeth in my entire life and even my lovely brachecephalic boston has perfect teeth.