Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mick ohio
Sep 24, 2007

So I says to Mabel, I says...
I am so glad to have found this thread and I hope y'all can help me!

I am trying to find a good wet/dry food combination to help my cat lose weight. He weighed in 2 pounds heavier at the vet this morning than he was a few months ago, and it was shrugged off by the vet and vet tech with "well, that's the prednisolone. just feed him less," which I find infinitely frustrating, since he's been taking that for years and we've *lost* several pounds while on it with better diet. We've been working on weight loss for the past two years, too, so the sudden +2lbs was alarming and disheartening this morning. That's a lot!!!

I started researching veterinary nutrition when I got home, played around with the calorie calculator from the Pet Nutrition Alliance and found that I'm feeding my cat appropriately in terms of kcal for weight loss for his size/goals. I found a pet nutrition clinic in my area, but their initial fee is $600+ and I can't afford that right now.

Here's the facts/history:
-7 y/o domestic medium hair cat
-has asthma
-has chronic idiopathic rhinitis
-has feline herpes
-prone to URIs
-weighed in at 16.2 pounds today
-takes 2.5 mg prednisolone/day
-takes 2 puffs of Flovent inhaler/day
-takes 1tsp lysine supplement/day
-not interested in playing unless its for food (so when he's breathing well, we throw dry food and chase it around)

Currently eating:
- 1/4c dry food (right now Canidae's limited ingredient chicken)
-1/2 can natural balance limited ingredient chicken or duck
- 1 tbsp dry food or 1tsp treats for snack/playtime
= ~190 kcal/day
- limited ingredient diets were suggested in case asthma had any food-related allergy associations. I'm not convinced it's necessary, to be honest

Hoping for:
-a better quality dry food that both my cats can eat (other cat will only tolerate a tablespoon mixed in with her wet food, so not sure how much I need to consider her with that)
-a wet food that isn't pate, since pate + congestion gives him a peanut butter mouth effect

I hope I explained everything well. If I can answer any more questions to help folks get a better picture, please let me know. We need help! I want my guy to be at a healthier weight so he can have as long a life as possible with all his health problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mick ohio
Sep 24, 2007

So I says to Mabel, I says...

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Suggestions:
1. Buy a baby scale.
2. Make sure he isn't stealing food. Never leave him unattended with access to the other cat's food. If you leave him unattended, I guarantee that he's stealing her food.
3. Be very specific how you measure his daily food. If you feed him multiple times throughout the day, or if someone else helps feed him, measure out his daily portion into a separate jar and make sure you only feed him from that jar. Don't just reach for the 1/4 scoop and try to eyeball amounts.

It doesn't matter if online sources are telling you that you're feeding him the right amount. If he's gaining weight like that, he isn't being fed appropriately for his situation, because you only have two levers: food and exercise. Very sedentary cats don't need to eat as much to maintain their weight. I have one very petite, hyperactive cat who weighs 8 pounds and eats more calories than my lethargic 15-pound monster. It makes no sense when you look at the numbers, but their weight is good this way. :iiam:

A baby scale is pretty much mandatory for any serious pet weight loss at home. I use something like this one but you can find cheap baby scales through thrift stores, garage sales, and mom Facebook groups. Don't use an adult bathroom scale, because it won't be accurate enough. A baby scale will let you track your cat's weight and make adjustments week by week. My cats all change their food/exercise habits seasonally, so I end up having to modify their food portions a few times a year to maintain their weight.

My goal for my two overweight cats was to get them to lose 1/4 pound per month just by gradually scaling back their food. That's intentionally a pretty slow pace for weight loss because I wanted to take it easy on them. One cat was overweight at 17 pounds (goal: 15 pounds) and another cat was overweight at 13 pounds (goal: 10 pounds). It took a long time. Even now that their weight is under control, I weigh them every 1-2 weeks.

As for what you wanted to hear, about food recommendations... unfortunately, I think you should consult a different vet about that, if you don't trust your current vet's recommendation. Food allergies aren't very common in cats in most regions, and they usually manifest as skin/hair problems near the face, or (less often) as problems in the GI tract. Your situation is pretty specialized if your vet suspects a food allergy related to asthma.

I can offer some general info, though. Limited ingredient diets are supposed to be strictly followed for 2-3 months to see if symptoms improve, but the diet becomes unreliable if you have multiple cats who eat different diets but still groom each other/share the same water dishes/have different treats/etc. So if you want to know if a limited ingredient diet is helping, you have to monitor the results closely over that time period, and you probably need to switch all cats in the house. Also, although food allergies are relatively uncommon for cats, the most common food allergen is the protein source. Most cat owners who use a limited ingredient diet can swap in another food that has the same protein source, as long as that's the only protein source. The same rules apply, though, because you'll need to monitor over another 2-3 months to see if conditions improve/worsen, in case your cat is actually sensitive to something other than the protein source.

Thank you so much for this! The food is strictly monitored and there's no free-feeding in the house at all. They're fed in separate rooms with the door closed until both cats are done (if the second cat hasn't finished, her food is put into a drawer or in the fridge). The only common / shared item is water bowls. The new cat just joined us a month ago, so that helps with having a better read on the LID, since we'd been doing that for two years prior. The asthma itself is well controlled-- he's had maybe 5 attacks in the last 9 months. The LID was recommended at a time when his asthma wasn't well controlled, but it was put in place along with a bunch of other things all at once. In that time, he's had the occasional non-limited food, and I haven't noticed any change in asthma/congestion with food differences.

I guess the weight gain is worth a second opinion from another vet? He'd been consistently losing weight for a long time, then suddenly gained it all back. Why wasn't that concerning at all to the vet we're seeing now?

I should also mention, we've seen maybe 5 different vets in the last few years due to moves and needing more advanced care sometimes. I have a file folder of all his records since adoption and feel like I've been diligent in providing his records to any new vets we see. I'd love to stay at the practice we're at now because its a minute drive from the house and he doesn't do well in cars. :/

Anyway, sounds like more active weight monitoring with a baby scale and gradually decreasing food is the best way forward for right now. Please let me know if I'm missing anything & thanks again!