Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Instant Jellyfish, how long do those boxes of Honest Kitchen last Major? I've been thinking about trying out freeze dried but it seems really, really expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Acana and Orijen also make single protein dog food but they're definitely on the pricier end.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

DaveSauce posted:

We're about to get a new puppy this weekend, a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. We've been reading a few things on dog food and I've hit a minor issue about what to feed the little guy.

The breeder recommends "Sportmix Premium Puppy Food" (http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/sportmix-premium-dog-food/). They acknowledge that it's not the greatest, but they claim that the ratio of "28% protein and 20% fat" is more ideal (numbers are from their care sheet, which differs a bit from other sources).

They say that this is better because Corgis can grow quickly, and that this combined with too "rich" of a diet can cause panosteitis. I've done quick research and I can't find anything to back this up. It seems that the cause of panosteitis is currently unknown.

We're planning to switch to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy Food. It's widely available, and from our research seems to be a good option. The Sportmix seems to be full of some garbage ingredients in comparison, not to mention we can't really find it at convenient places near us (though I'm sure Petco or something will have it).

What my question is, though is that Blue Buffalo claims that their foods adhere to AAFCO levels, but for the life of me I can't seem to find what those levels actually are. I presume it's based on the macronutrient levels? If so, what on earth are they supposed to be? Aside from ingredient quality, I know that macronutrient levels are the most important thing to consider, but I can't seem to find what the ideal ratios are. So what should I be looking for?

I'm a bit late on this but while the exact cause of pano is unknown, there's pretty good evidence it's at least partially caused by rapid growth spurts. Rich, high protein, high calcium diets can contribute to rapid growth and are thought to be linked to pano so they can be somewhat risky in breeds or lines prone to pano. If the breeder is seriously concerned about your dog developing pano her lines may prone to it and trust me you want to do everything to avoid your dog developing it, pano loving sucks. After my dog developed very severe pano, I can't help but wonder if feeding high protein kibble to him as a puppy was a contributing factor. I fed Orijen large breed puppy and he definitely grew much faster than is normal so with my next puppy I'm going for a lower protein % kibble.

That being said, it's not a cut and dry decision and your dog may or may not develop it regardless of what you feed so do what you're comfortable with. But if her lines are known for pano problems, I'd probably go for a lower protein kibble just to be safe.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 14, 2014

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Sirbloody posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on training treats? I am picking up my puppy on the 27th (Possibly on the 26th if I get the day off). and I will be feeding her 4Health puppy and I was thinking of getting some of the 4Health treats but I have no idea on their quality compared to the dry food.

I wouldn't bother buying training treats, they're expensive and you'll blow through them very fast. Just use inexpensive people food that you can break into small bits instead -cheese, hot dogs, cheap meats, peanut butter, cream cheese, and sausage are usually big hits with dogs and are way less expensive than treats. You can get a couple month's worth of single serving cream cheese, stew beef, and string cheese at Costco for what a few bags of training treats would run you.

If you do end up just wanting dog treats, Zukes minis are popular in PI, Crazy Dog Train-Mes and Bil-Jac are good too.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Opinions on Redpaw X-series kibble? I'm thinking of switching back from raw since I can only store a weeks worth of food now that we have three dogs. It's pretty high calorie and high protein and it's about half the price of what I used to feed (Orijen & Acana)

quote:

Crude Protein: Min 32%
Crude Fat: Min 20%
Crude Fiber: Max 3.5%
Moisture: Max 10%
Total Microorganisms*: 100,000,000 CFU/lb Min

(Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum, Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium in equal parts)

* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles

CALORIE CONTENT
METABOLIZABLE ENERGY (CALCULATED)
Kcal/kg: 4214
Kcal/lb: 1916
Kcal/cup: 442

INGREDIENTS
Chicken, menhaden fish meal, chicken meal, oatmeal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), pearled barley, beet pulp, pork blood meal, chicken liver, pork meat meal, dried whey, fish oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), flaxseed, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, salt, sodium selenite, folic acid, Vitamins [vitamin A acetate, Vitamin D3 supplement, Vitamin E supplement, Vitamin B12 supplement, choline bitartrate, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, L-Ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin], Minerals [zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganous sulfate, magnesium sulfate, copper sulfate, cobalt carbonate, calcium iodate, sorbic acid (preservative), ferrous proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, magnesium proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate], dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium longum fermentation product, dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
One place worth checking out for higher quality foods is feed stores. YMMV of course but the ones near me sell premium kibbles for a very good price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Conquest7706 posted:

I've had a Bernese Mountain Dog for almost 4 years now. He's eaten Taste of the Wild his entire life, loves it, eats it like candy. Occasionally I'll get a bag that appears to have some sort of grainy looking poo poo all over the kibble and he will not be as eager to eat it and occasionally throws up. In the past I've just tossed the bag and bought a new one, everything is fine. Over the last couple months every bag of food has been this way, he has refused to eat it at times. The last bag had him throwing up after almost every meal, so I quit feeding him Taste of the Wild immediately and took him in for a vet checkup. Vet said he was fine, but changing food would be a good idea (and immediately tried to hit me up with Science Diet).

I switched to Orijen since it seems to be even more high quality than Taste of the Wild was. The $110-120 a bag is a bit much though. Now my dog's breath is horrible and he has significant "dog stink" going on, even after a bath, which he has never had before. I'm considering switching him again to Nature's Variety, since I give him treats from them and occasionally cans and never had problems from either.

Can anyone recommend anything else? High quality food, not insanely expensive, good quality control? Orijen seems to be very good and he absolutely loves it, even more than when the Taste of the Wild was still good. The price and the fact that his smell has changed so drastically have me wanting to look for a better alternative though.

Acana is made by the same company as Orijen but is cheaper and has a lower protein %. You also might wanna just switch varieties, I know the 6 fish formula makes my dog's breath loving reek. BTW both are much cheaper through Petflow ($77 rather than $100+)