Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I'm trying to get my cats more of a wet food diet than they have been. I have 4 of them. The boy is having pee problems and the vet is worried about blockage.

Is it okay to alternate dry and wet food? Is there a way to "mix" it?

Right now my cats are on the Blue Buffalo Indoor Health dry food (and have been since Innova went up $10 a bag). Petsmart had a really awesome sale on Innova canned food, so I bought a lot of that. I tried being clever and mixing the food, but the cats refused to eat the dry food bits at all, then it got gross and I had to dump it out. Should I just go with my plan of a can of food every other day or so (It's one of the large cans), and letting them graze on dry food inbetween? Will that cause problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

HelloSailorSign posted:

Unlikely to cause problems, as they're both well balanced.

Are you continuing to use the dry for money reasons or...?

Otherwise full wet food is great, it's what I prefer in cats.

Right now it's money reasons as I try to transition into full wet food. I know it's better but goddamn it's expensive for 4 cats. What I was looking at was using the dry food as filler for the wet food so it would last longer, but last time I actually mixed it they refused to eat the normally dry bits.

Right now they seem content with alternating.

e: Really stupid secondary question. Does it matter if their foodbowl is metal or plastic? I got a good heavy metal one because it fits their 4 fat little heads at the same time.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 21, 2013

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I think generally your best best is just to try things off the premium list (If you have it available). If your dog will only eat Royal Canin, then that's all he'll eat. Acceptable is just that, it's not poo poo (Like most of the common wal-mart foods) but it's not the filet mignon of dog foods. See what your dog likes and go from there.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I was actually coming here to ask about feeding my cats. I have 4 of them, and I"m doing a mix of dry and wet food. I use Blue Buffalo Indoor formula dry and a mix of Innova and Blue Buffalo canned. Right now they get a can of innova (6 oz I think, the REALLY big can), or two cans of Blue Buffalo (3.0oz)in the evening, and in the morning about 2 cups of dry cat food. Is this about right? I might be feeding them too much dry food. I used to just fill the bowl and let them graze at will.

None of my cats are hugely obese. They all eat from the same bowl, and there's usually a little wet food left over for grazing for a few hours, and enough dry to last them through the day mostly.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay, I remember Posted how much my cats eat, and I'm pretty sure I got told I still over feed them, and I want to make sure I'm backing down to proper amounts.

Right now I give them 2 cans of wet food in the morning (some form of blue buffalo) and a cup of dry food. Should I cut back both the dry and wet, or should I just drop down to 1 can of wet food in the mornings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
How does 4Health (Tractor Supply's brand) dry food rank? It seems to be Acceptable or so. I'm thinking of switching to a half/half (Wet/dry) diet for my cats. The 4health seems to be well recommended by the local vet, and it's less than half the price of Wellness Core that I currently feed them. Would that be a decent replacement using that wet and dry combo to replace Wellness Core dry?