Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Instant Jellyfish posted:

For what its worth I talked to my vet behaviorist about that study a couple years ago and she was really not impressed with the study methods and said at least for me not to bother with it if I was happy with the food he was on.

This. I have read the study, and the conclusion that is made by it is absolutely not supported by the data. There are a lot of "may" and "can" in the conclusion and abstract, and there is just no evidence that supports what they took away from it.

To be honest, I think the behavior world doesn't really have too much of an opinion of Dodman's work. He's primarily a vet, not a behaviorist, and the many of the conclusions he makes are just not supported by modern ethology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

wtftastic posted:

HelloSailorSign is a vet (iircc) and knows his poo poo. We're not being diffcult in trying to make sure you don't gently caress up a puppies' nutrition. A cooked egg is not "raw food" and generaly speaking if you want to get raw food, you'll end up buying something like Stella and Chewy's where...wait for it...someone has done nutrient analysis and testing to make sure it is appropriate.

Feed your dog whatever you want I guess, but don't piss and moan at people who are giving you medically sound advice about balanced food (how funny, right?) that is appropriate for a puppy!

This is a really good post. I'm a pretty strong raw food advocate, and I give my dog egg on occasion, but it is important to understand the necessary vitamins and minerals and their interactions and the consequences of not having enough or too much of one or another. There *are* good homemade recipes out there created by canine nutritionists who have studied and have their veterinary degrees, and I'd recommend looking for those if you do want to go the homemade route. I myself use a commercial frozen raw diet that is both AAFCO balanced and locally-sourced, and I feel like that is an excellent compromise.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

wtftastic posted:

You can't just chuck raw veggies, some eggs, and meat in a bowl and say "yep that there sure is a good dog food".

You can, but it requires that the recipe is one given to you by an actual nutritionist who knows what they're doing, but that kind of costs money for a consultation and research that the person has legit credentials and not just "hey I found this recipe on the internet." I know plenty of people who make their dogs' food, but only after spending several hours under the guidance of a nutritionist. Basically more effort is involved than just "I put a fud in boul," though, like you said.

And I would really not make a big deal out of the food poisoning risk unless there are small children or immunocompromised persons living with you. If you take the same precautions you take when handling your own food (wash dog dishes after use, keep meat prep separate from everything else), the added risk is minimal and not even worth stressing over. Personally I think people who feed raw have cleaner food prep areas because they ARE cleaning frequently whereas most people who feed kibble don't wash their dog bowls daily, much less after every meal, and we've seen how fast that stuff can turn into salmonella station.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I'm very weary of anything that has raw ingredients in it.

Don't be. Raw is just as good if not better than protein that has been through high heat and pressure processing.