Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Would someone here who's better informed about pet nutrition be willing to explain all the things wrong with this:

quote:

homemade vegan dog food

i had my dog on this vegan food, but it was crazy expensive. he was going through two $35 bags each month, and i couldn’t swing it anymore. so i started making his food. turns out, you can make vegan dog food pretty cheaply, and my dog loves it!

about every 5-7 days, i cook 2 cups brown rice along with a small bag of dried beans or lentils. this is a good base, which you can refrigerate safely if you don’t leave it out too long after cooking.
every day (or twice a day), i fill my dog’s bowl halfway with this mixture, then add frozen vegetables and fruits. my dog likes sweet potatoes, mixed vegetables, and blueberries. i sometimes heat it in the microwave for a minute, but he also likes it cold. since doing this, i only spend about $20/month on food for my dog, as opposed to $70 for vegan food, or even $35 or so for non-vegan food.

please note that some human foods are bad for dogs, so please check this list before starting to make food for your dog friends: http://m.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/foods_poisonous_to_pets.html
From here: http://fuckyeahveganlife.tumblr.com/post/61810414321

Because right off the bat, the corn and brown rice scream "WRONG" in my head but I want to know exactly how harmful this would be for a dog. It seems pretty low on calcium and vitamin B12 to me.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU