Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My dog has been losing weight recently, I don't have my scale in my new place yet and I don't think I would have much success holding her for the 20 seconds or so it would take to weigh her, so I'm not sure how much. Best guess she's about 50 pounds when her normal healthy weight is 55-60 (bloodhound/heeler mix). She's about 10 years old, currently eating the Nutro senior chicken dry food. I'm not sure if she's not getting some nutrients she needs or what, because she's not eating any less of it. I also caught her chewing on a pinecone outside a while back which seems concerning if she's going after something with zero nutritional value (aside from my old food wrappers out of the trash hey-o).

What would be a more nutrient-dense food in the same price bracket as the Nutro/Nature's Recipe? As much as I would like to, I can't afford the stuff that's $50 for a 20 pound bag.

Less on-topic, is there anything I should be checking on at home before taking her to the vet if she doesn't start gaining weight again? She's got a wart that's growing back, but when they cut it off last time they tested it and it was benign. They also did an ultrasound or something like that (involved shaving her belly is all I know) at the same time, that was about 4 months ago, came back clean. Can stress cause a dog to lose weight? My wife and I just split up and I'm wondering if she could be stressed because she's only seeing my wife once a week or so rather than all day every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

LoreOfSerpents posted:

This is a few days old and I can't speak with confidence about dog food options, but in general, any unexplained weight loss in any animal is grounds for a vet consultation. Weight loss is one of the earliest symptoms you get for lots of problems in the GI tract.

Thanks. Firefox ate my post, but basically I got her a dog food that's 430-450kcal/cup, she's been gaining weight, no other GI symptoms, no signs of worms or parasites in her stool, she should still be up on her shots, need to confirm. Went to the vet only a few months ago and got a clean bill of health (loving $800 bill of health thanks to a tumor removal that turned out to be benign :gonk:).

Any recommendations for foods in the 400+ calorie/cup range? This one only comes in 4lb bags which makes it pretty expensive. Purina Pro has a few options but I haven't been feeding her anything with corn or gluten for 4-5 years so I feel weird about going to that. I mean, aside from all the human food she gets into at every opportunity.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's the exact one I was looking at because my dog is 10. I need to stop being such a depressed lazy sadbrains for her to get the exercise to put that muscle on, but I'll get that.