Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Switched my dog from Blue Buffalo to California Naturals lamb & brown rice because he liked it better. Since switching it's been recalled twice--maybe three times--and the little local pet store I go to is no longer carrying it because the recalls were a hassle. Understandably. They recommended switching to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, and we got a bag of it. He seems to like it, but I note it's made by Diamond.

I have a bad association with Diamond from a previous dog. So...also, are they not putting out food under the Diamond name anymore? Was that name just too damaged by recall issues etc.?

Also I object to them paying a license fee for the Chicken Soup name. (1), I object on general principles to paying for something that does not actually enhance the dog food, and (b) I object to people being able to co-opt the name so that nobody can use the term "chicken soup" anything without paying these jokers a licensing fee or paying out attorneys fees to fight them.

(Also the books are cheesy.)

However, if the dog likes it, I guess it's okay. He is sick today but I can't blame the dog food for that--we had takeout Mexican last night and he got into the leftovers while we were watching a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Question about feeding an elderly cat.

This cat has been eating Science Diet for Sensitive Stomachs (the name may not be exact but something like that) for years. Both cats eat it, but the cat in question is the one with the sensitive stomach.

So now she's not eating it.

She is at least 16 years old, possibly older. I was out of town for a couple of weeks and when I came home I noticed that this cat, who weighed 7 pounds at her heftiest, was just wasting away. According to my husband and son she was eating, but very slowly. (She does still have teeth and as of her last vet check had no problem with her teeth.) Shortly after I returned home she quit eating this food at all. Did not eat for two days. Looking very frail. But then she jumped on the counter and licked a platter where there had been chicken. People food. She never used to go after things like that. So apparently she is starving, but not so hungry she will eat the cat food she's been eating for years.

So I gave her some cooked chicken, and she ate it. Then I bought some canned cat food (chicken heart, or so it said) for her, and she apparently would rather starve than eat this food. She has never much liked canned food. But she was willing to eat some more chicken.

So, I don't know what to feed her. I'm willing to cook food for her if only she'll eat. I have left a message with her vet (they will want to see her, they always want to see her, I hate the idea of having her use what might be her last bit of strength fighting to not be put into the carrier) but at this point it doesn't seem like an emergency but it does seem like maybe a good idea. Meanwhile people have suggested baby food and pumpkin.

I have heard the pumpkin thing before, but not the baby food. Okay cat nutritionists, what do you say?