Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Nightmare Zone posted:

Any updates on studies about raw diets for pets? Friend of mine swears by it for her GSDs but I dunno, haven't heard enough about it to convince me. Says their stomachs can handle raw meat and cooking removes the nutrients.

Not really. This is a great article on what research has been done in raw in vet med:

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.243.11.1549?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub%3dpubmed

I mean, many animals/people can handle raw meat (sushi and tartare anyone?), and it is true that when you cook something there are nutrients that are destroyed, but that's why vitamins/minerals are added afterwards.

Bascally, benefits of raw for the most part are anecdotal or small studies with limited numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Nightmare Zone posted:

Thanks for the link, it's a good read. The nutrient thing brings up a good point too about most diets - like if you feel your dog is missing something with a kibble diet you could always supplement it with added vitamins? Plus it's less likely to infect you or your dog with salmonella so that's probably a better option anyway.

If a diet is labeled as complete and balanced, you don't need to add anything. Depending on different things going on with your dog they might need supplements, but the normal dog does not.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Culex posted:

"We work with an Animal Scientist/PhD with over 30 years formulating commercial pet foods. He, along with our CEO/founder, formulated the recipes."

I got that as a reply, for what it is worth.

Interesting. A good animal nutrition PhD is also good, though they didn't explain a lot of the details, so who knows.

Hopefully that experience wasn't designing Blue Buffalo back in the day, or Evangers, or that one vegan cat food... :v:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Does anyone have suggestions of good limited ingredient dog foods that aren't horribly expensive/hard to find?

My friend's dog is having stomach issues that are probably linked to food allergies so she wants to start him on a limited ingredient food but is overwhelmed by all the choices out there. She's leaning towards the Wellness limited ingredient or Fromms at the moment, but more guidance/input would be helpful.

Unfortunately limited ingredient diets are inherently going to be more expensive and hard to find due to the care that must go in with production to decrease cross contamination between diets - as long as they're doing it right. There's increased cost of having dedicated production lines or heavy cleaning between production runs.

There was a (now old) study looking at OTC "limited ingredient" diets finding a lot of contamination of ingredients not listed on the ingredients lists. "Limited ingredient" labeled foods don't actually mean anything legal-wise. I remember that Wellness was one of the OTC diets that actually matched their ingredients list.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The problem with Blue isn't the fact that they use chicken by-product meal, it's that they said in no uncertain terms that they didn't use it.

So, Purina sued them for lying, saying it had info to back up that claim.

Blue said Purina was lying, said that they absolutely do not use by-product, claimed that Purina made up the claim and were simply trying to tarnish Blue's name, and so counter-sued Purina.

Then the information comes out that there was, in fact, a problem with their supplier and/or manufacturer that led to the addition of the ingredient, and there then is a problem that played out similarly several years ago (2010) with Vitamin D toxicity in some dogs on Blue food.

The problem was identified in dogs with signs of Vitamin D toxicity - it was suggested that Blue food might be the culprit, as the clinical signs resolved when they were put on a different food.

Blue said that all their tests showed that there was absolutely no problem with their food.

It was then found that their food did, in fact, have a problem.

Then Blue says that it was the manufacturers fault, because the manufacturer processed a Vitamin D supplement on some production lines that Blue's food was also processed on and there was enough left over on the lines to intermingle with the food and lead to clinical signs in some dogs.

So, the problem I have is, is that they apparently don't know what goes on in the production of their foods, and their "testing" protocols don't seem to pan out with what happens in the end. When Purina seems to know more about Blue's food than Blue does, there's a problem.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Completely true that companies are always looking to take their competitors down a peg, I do not dispute that. Purina does have a lot of resources to throw around, but Blue isn't exactly a small time game in the pet food world.

I neglected to mention earlier that the particular supplier they're blaming has had problems using the wrong or bad ingredients in the past (apparently)... while supplying Blue before.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

khy posted:

*cough* Speaking of purina *cough* any thoughts on my recent question regarding their beyond pet food? :cabot:

They're Purina's attempt at the whole anti-grain/anti-by-product fad. They're also making a big deal of ingredient and manufacturing locations/sourcing.

If that interests you, go for it. I think it looks fine.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Culex posted:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/class-action-lawsuit-filed-against-purina-over-all/nkLBS/

If the tests are legit, the mycotoxins test, yuck. I mean, yuck anyway, right, but, yeah. It has a link on the left side to a PDF about the lab testing. I don't understand it, but it looks like it was pretty high in Zearalenone, which from light wikipediaing looks to be pretty nasty of a mycotoxin.

I've heard some of these molds cans develop if a product becomes wet and then sits for awhile - so if a distributor, store, or individual doesn't handle appropriately, bad things can happen. I'd wait to see tests on a wider scale before coming down on the whole product.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Dogfoodadvisor is run by a human dentist who just has the feels

Some of it is good, some is stupid, some is bad. Weeding it out requires some knowledge of veterinary nutrition.

Basically, just do whatever Crooked Booty says.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

It has a bit of a high carb count for a cat (calculated at ~38% dry matter). I prefer below mid-20s for cats.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

demota posted:

New kitten owner here. I'm feeding her nothing but Wellness and Blue Buffalo canned food at the moment, rotating from day to day to get her used to eating different things. I heard that it might be okay to feed her some dry food, but I'm wondering if I'd be reducing her general quality of life at all if I did that. I read about problems with dry food and the benefits of good food, but no real breakdown of what happens if you give cats a mix.

Nothing bad happens, and if you ever need to feed dry in the future at least cat can recognize it is food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Absolut Fabulous posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for high-quality, grain-free cat food that is still relatively low calorie? I've been feeding Solid Gold Indigo Moon to my cats for a few years and they've been slowly putting on weight (1-1.5 lbs./yr.) since then. I've switched from free-feeding to 2x meals per day, but this does not seem to have corrected the problem. Currently, I'm looking at Nature's Variety Instinct Healthy Weight, Wellness CORE Indoor Formula, and Nature's Recipe Grain-Free Indoor; don't know if any of these have any real advantage over the others or if there are better ways of maintaining a healthier weight.

Feed them less. They will beg you for poo poo and steal poo poo.

But it boils down to feed them less.

The only way you get less calories is by adding :supaburn: FILLERS :supaburn: and that by most people's definitions will not fit into the "high quality grain free" cat food because meat doesn't have fiber.