Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Is EVO still considered a good dry cat food since the buyout? I've seen varying opinions and complaints about it. The new cat was on hill's grain free at the shelter due to supposed diarrhea with grain foods. At first I switched her to taste of the wild chicken dry, but it gave her horrible death farts. I read in several places that the farts could be caused by chicken, so the switch to EVO salmon was made. She eats it just fine but had started barfing after a while (one a week later, 3 days in a row another week later) which I attributed to her starting to like greenies. She hasn't had greenies in 2 weeks and finally barfed again today so I'm starting to think about switching foods again and that maybe she has a fish allergy. Barfs just seem to be liquidised food with a couple bits of freshly eaten kibble.

Am I on the right track? She's very nearly free fed, I put out 1/4 cup twice a day and most of the time there's 1/4 of it left when the next meal rolls around. I have a fountain and she likes that thing a lot. Going to try Instinct protein next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

This is a small city with a huge university so there is no shortage of chintzy, overpriced pet supply stores. Fortunately easy to find EVO and all of the other premium stuff.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Get a furminator and brush the poo poo outta her. You have a bonding experience, she learns to love brushing, and you don't have to go through the pain, runny poops, and potential rejection of food changing.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Food fun.

When I adopted my cat, her notes said any food with grain in it gave her runny shits. In the stocking up on cat supplies spree, I picked up some taste of the wild chicken based grain free which she liked, ate fine, still had runny shits, and also had horrible paint peeling death farts. I upgraded to EVO fish based which mostly cured the horrible farts but runny shits continued. My boss had some blue buffalo indoor cat formula which is chicken+fish based and 40% of so grain and finally she has normal poops and the death farts are back because chicken.

Am I a horrible cat parent for wanting to keep her on grain food since it seems to agree with her the best? I'll still look around for a non chicken based one to quell the death farts, and I'm fortunate that she's so far not shown signs of refusing any kind of food so options are wide open. Is there a best brand/formula dry food with grains? She has a fountain and drinks a ton so I'm not too concerned with the wet/dry food decision quite yet.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Food transitions have been the slow, weeklong ordeal type and once fully switched I wait a month or so before deciding to try the next thing, both to make sure she's adjusted ok, also to not waste the food I already have. It was funny and frustrating when just 3 days into the grain food switch process, her poops were normal and solid.

Thanks for the input. After looking at ingredient lists and how ridiculously goddamn long some of them are, thinking I'll try the Orijen 6 fish next. Low fillers, pretty short ingredient list to rule out sensitivity to any of the weird poo poo, no chicken. Will report back.

Drooling Fluff tax:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Flying Leatherman posted:

One of my cats has very smelly gas. Going to try switching the main protein in her food from chicken to beef, assuming she doesn't mind. She loves the stuff she's eating now, but when she farts I have to evacuate the room.

Any tips or success stories?

I had the same problem. Switching to all fish food (dry) helped a lot. When she poops the smell still follows her around for 5 minute or so but the HORRIFIC DOOM FARTS have subsided. They smelled like a pile of burning tires and poo.

She happily eats the orijen fish but it aint cheap. ~$30 for 5lbs.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My cat is being a picky idiot (aka: cat). Chicken gives her horrible gas, she likes anything fish based, and shuns rabbit. The other kicker is grain free so far gives her runny poops. The only time she had normal poops was when I borrowed a bag of blue buffalo indoor from a friend whose cat didn't eat it. I'd like to stay away form blue buffalo due to their history.

Taste of the wild chicken she at and stunk up the place, Evo and Orijen fish she liked. Wellness core rabbit she'll barely touch.

So in short, is there a good quality fish based (zero poultry) with grain dry food out there?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'll rant too :sun:

I'm kinda frustrated with pet food in general. I know blue had a bunch of recalls and avoided it. My cat had instructions with her that food with grain in it gave her runny poo so I tried all manners of grain free and the runs continued but gas decreased with fish based, zero poultry stuff. My boss had a bag of a flavor of blue his cat didn't like and I was almost out of the last bag I tried so I tried it and after 2 days her runs cleared up after 2 days but it was blue indoor with mostly grain and chicken and the death farts returned. I tried a couple more things. Nature's variety instinct rabbit gave her nice poos and the farts went away but she wouldn't eat it.

On vet recommendation I tried purina pro plan and she ate it ok, poo was good and farts diminished, but it wasn't fishy enough so she got tired of it. Finally ended up with blue indoor fish based and she destroys it has good poops but still some death farts since there is no grain and fish food that doesn't have some poultry in it. I'll stick with this one for a while since she's happy, but I really don't like the mile long ingredient lists but at the end of the day I know that cats all over the place live long happy lives on the cheapest cat chow you can buy at the supermarket and I'm really over thinking it because I read this thread too much before getting the cat.

This is all dry and she has a nice fountain that she loves and drinks from plenty. Had zero luck with any wet foods.

Requisite pic of idiot

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The vitamin D stuff is interesting since both of my cats are showing resorbtion issues. Milly is stuck on prescription limited protein diet due to sensitive stomach and Butters just eats the same stuff since it makes it easy, they're also free-fed and not overweight so big score there. Current food since around christmas time is royal canin adult PR rabbit, and before was wellness core but Milly was way barfier on it. They're both switched to wet of the same due to some dental work (resorbed teeth) but i'm throwing away a lot of it and they're losing a little weight and it would quintuple my food bill to feed them this wet full time :(

I'll get to switch them back to try in a few days, but i'll still try to get them to eat a little wet food in the evenings and will talk to my vet about the vitamin D stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My boss has one of those super feeders and yeah it seemed somewhat annoying to set up but once going should last forever. They're built hella solid.