Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Not sure if my dog got into something she wasn't supposed to somehow (I can't imagine what) or if this new bag of Authority Grain Free Adult - Chicken and Pea got my dog sick... but I woke up to a smell and a huge mess :smith: She seems absolutely fine now and acts like she's starving but I'm hesitant to feed her anything, she's eaten this food for almost a year now. I can't find anything about recalls and I apparently missed the hours to call them and ask. I'm scared to feed her this again, should I just go buy a bag or something else really mild in the mean time? She has a tough stomach but I don't want to stir it up now for no reason. But I don't want to give her another meal and she gets sick like that again.

for reference the mess happened about ~4 hours after she ate the food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
Didn't know that actually! Thanks. Gonna introduce tiny amounts of the dry mixed in with more wet food and if she gets sick again I'll take her in.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
Yeah and it was soft/liquid from both ends which she never does. She is all better now though and she handles small amounts of the dry food fine. She is due for her yearlys soon anyway so I can bump that forward. Everyone I have talked to said stomach bug, I guess there is one going around here. Thanks guys :wooper:

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
My friend's solution to that was to put the big cat in a more isolated room (one with litterbox) until skinny cat ate. Not ideal at all but skinny cat wont be the one too busy whining to eat, though fat cat may be too distracting to be calm enough to lol. Some cats also need to be pet to stimulate eating and this may mean petting them WHILE they're eating, at least when I worked with them at a shelter though it was usually the older ones that were very stressed so I don't really know if that would help at all here.

:radcat: Cats are fuckin weird

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.

GoodBee posted:

I'm going to bring this question over from the dog thread. I adopted a 1.5 year old rescue hound (maybe a Plott Hound) a little over a month ago. She weighed 47 lbs and the vet is thinking she should probably weigh a bit over 50, maybe 55. I'm feeding her the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Healthy Weight formula. She's getting 3 and 1/3 cups of food a day plus we're still on treats when working on her training.

Not an answer to your question but have you considered switching her to the regular large breed in wilderness or do you want to use up the bag you have, or is the extra fiber% something you like? It really may just take time to build weight up from what she was being fed at the shelter too, but again i know that isnt what youre asking.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.

GoodBee posted:

I have no reason not to switch over to the regular large breed. I honestly didn't see it at the pet store but it's probably there.

My current bag is almost gone and I haven't opened the second bag. Do you think these two formulas are close enough that I could transition over a couple of days? I think I will do this.

Days late but you can, yep. how is it working so far?

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.

GoodBee posted:

Spoke too soon. I ran out of the Healthy Weight yesterday and my dog had liquid shits last night. She didn't poop this morning so she's spending the day in her crate. I'll see how she's doing this evening and maybe give her a little canned pumpkin?

Nooo :( Glad she has gotten better but I was told you could switch within BB as long as it was in the same type (not from regular to wilderess but from flavors within regular, etc). Maybe my dog is just hardy? Sorry she got so sick from it I feel horrible.

Meanwhile I finally found a place near me that stocks Taste of the Wild dry for cats at a decent price and am thinking of switching her to it, since she doesnt seem to like Wellness Core or BB Wilderness anymore. Theyre a pretty good food/producer, right? Finicky Cats ! ! ! Love it!

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
Cuties! :radcat:

Wellness Core's Original Turkey is really good and about the same as BB price wise. Not sure if they have lots of recall or anything though.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
Yeah my last cat was like this, ate all her Wellness Core or BB Wilderness dry but for wet it was fancy feast, friskies, or nothing at all. My friends cat too, which scored me free cans of Wilderness Salmon for current cat so thanks picky eaters!!!!! JK but my understanding is them eating a wet food at all, even a garbage one, is still going to be great for them long term regarding UTIs and some kidney issues. Her dry food is still good so dont guilt too hard.

My cat has been devouring cans of Taste of the Wild so that has been awesome, hope it lasts :v:

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
Why is pork plasma in dog food and should I care? Elsewhere on the internet can't reach a consensus from what Im reading.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
Also according to this topic https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824328 Solid Gold could be having issues. It could be a number of things, I hope your vet helps kitty feel better!

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
There are a couple of different brands for precription foods now, and yes I would stick with them despite ingredient lists because they are tested and shown to work. But your vet does sound super lovely so see what your next one thinks. Good luck!

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
Large breed usually has larger kibble and some vitamins like chondritin and glucosamine and caratine (sp?) but some lower the fat too so idk, I always assumed it was more for 70lbs+ cos mine is 50lbs and does fine on regular adult formulas with joint supplements.

Also Blue Buffalo is following the route of Natures Recipe and showing up in Targets, hope this doesnt lead to a drop in quality again.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
I haven't been to a Petco in awhile and was surprised when I saw they carry Tikipet! For cats AND dogs? :0
I have been slowly topping my dogs dry with the Tikidog pouches, they smell awful but I guess that is how you know they like it?!

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
I worked for Blue for awhile and they drilled on pushing grain-free so strongly (they are a business before All Else), I cant but wonder how many Big Heart Failure dogs I am indirectly responsible for and I know that isnt a fair burden to put on myself but, feels bad man

My dog has been doing great on a brand called Muenster, but I have switched her to their with-grain formula (new marketing term on the way) and her skin is all jacked up now sigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
A chunk of the op brands have either changed ownership, formulas, manufacturing plants, all of the above, or dont exist anymore, etc. So not really imo. What brands were you wondering about? :)

That probably did happen, I think it is becoming a class action lawsuit? Google + Amazon tells me similar issues have happened across many brands of dental bones, including the BB ones. Like they just dont digest for some dogs. The BB case took off though. Maybe because it has pictures and those pictures were very bad.