Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You folks laugh but I've been giving Tater a teaspoon of garlic a day and last week's supermoon was only the third time that he's turned into a werewolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Small wonder he's having that problem! Did you know the more of an ingredient you use, the less effective it is?

Well yeah, it's no silver bullet.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'd like to get serious about maintaining Tater's weight. He's around 20 pounds and while it's tough to judge by sight because of his bigass fluffy coat I can feel his ribs fine so I think he's right about ideal. He's an averagely active 18-month old whose activity is two hours at the dog park chasin' and wrasslin' and tuggin' and havin' shitloads of fun, but not a whole lot on top of that.

Right now the kibble of choice is Nature's Variety Instinct, which according to the bag is 3810kcal/kg. I'm armed with a digital food scale and have been offering up to 140g/day for the hell of it, which would be ~530kcal/day if he ate all of it. He doesn't, however. I think he's eating more around 100g/day for 380kcal/day (he only seems to really chow down every other evening, which is weird but whatever dude, your stomach). Throw in treats and let's call it 425.

This link says an ideal intake would be almost 700/day but that seems really high... I'd practically have to force feed him that much which can't be right. The Waltham calculator also there says 570-650 which seems a bit more reasonable. Any ideas?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Braki posted:

Calculations are guidelines and starting points. Every animal is different. If you had no idea how much to feed, then it would be good to use that and see how he does. If he's eating his food and he's maintaining his weight and you don't think he's too skinny or too fat, then what you're feeding is a good amount.

Sounds like a plan, thanks.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

This isn't a food-related question but it does involve eating: is it bad that my corgi only ever eats when I or my girlfriend is home (usually it requires both of us)? We were gone 12 hours straight yesterday, I filled up his food bowl before we left and when we got back he had touched none of it. He usually operates like this but yesterday struck as especially odd, as by the time we got home he hadn't eaten in nearly 24 hours.

Par for the course for my dog :shobon: I measure food in the morning and leave it out for him during the day when I'm at work but he won't get around to eating until we're home from the dog park around 7pm.

Dogs are weird.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Haha no but I've known other dogs to do that.

One fun quirk he does have though: When he's finished off the bowl he'll "ring" it by tipping it slightly with his foot like a kick drum. It's a typical Correl bowl and makes a pretty distinctive ring. If he still has food left in his daily allotment I'll dutifully fill it back up, after which he verifies that yes, there is food in the bowl and then walks away, leaving the food untouched.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Not exactly wise to throw kibble from glass houses. Or something.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Be sure to bring a small tub of cottage cheese and show it to her so she knows you mean business.

Also be prepared to alpha roll the breeder to establish dominance.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Tater gets a Greenie daily and his vet had to stop everything and admire his teeth last time we were there for an unrelated visit. Owns.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
(Also he needs one after the dog park where he'll gobble up a heap of dog poo poo most days)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Mathematics posted:

I got a dog unexpectedly. Normally the shelter around me has a huge waiting list for medium sized well behaved dogs so I wasn't expecting to get one for months but surprisingiy they called me a few days after I filled out my application.

I went to Walmart because I was desparate for dog food and there is not even a Petsmart within 45 minutes of this godforsaken hick town. I expected to see just horrible foods there but it seems like big companies have actually caught the message that people want higher quality pet food. There were several brands with meat as the first ingredient, no corn, etc. I settled on Purina Beyond lamb food but there were even better options there. I'll probably still order something online but at least I'm not feeding her dog McDonalds for the next month.

Last time I had a dog I distinctly remember you had to order food online or end up with Ol Roy.

Not sure if anyone has noticed this but it's pretty encouraging.

Edit: The ingredients are:

Not *the best in the world* I'm sure but certainly not what I remember from a few years ago.

Amazon has a couple of legit options as a Subscribe & Save. Free shipping and you get a few percent off. Tater gets Nature's Variety but there's other good ones there as well.