Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sydin posted:

Same, I switched my cat cold turkey from free feeding dry to 2x a day wet food, and she didn't seem to mind much at all. Loves her new food, no health issues. The only issue is that every night, about an hour before feeding time, she'll start meowing her head off and refuse to leave a 5ft radius of her food bowl, because apparently this will somehow get her fed earlier (it doesn't).

I switched from free feeding to 2x a day wet food due to needing prescription food. I actually now use a combination of wet food (for right away) and dry food (for the rest of the time), and she does the same things, and will not eat the wet food (or dry food sometimes) if they're both not there.

Cats man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thin Privilege posted:

I use Royal Canin s/o dry food and wet food also, I mix it up on scheduled meals, sometimes wet sometimes dry. Keeps it interesting. RC It smells way better than Hills, sometimes I want to eat it :ninja: seriously though my cats are fine on it, it's been ~4 years and he's happier than ever.

Oh and you can get them all at PetsMart if it had a Banfield in it! Just bring in a script from your vet.

RC urinary S/O cat buddy here!

My cat basically refuses to eat, or at least will come pester me if I don't put out both the wet and dry food twice a day. If only she would eat both every time, some times she'll gobble up the wet food and none of the dry food, sometimes the opposite. Cats man.

Flying Leatherman posted:

My tabby has a fountain, and it definitely makes a difference - we used to change her water 3x/day, so it wasn't like she didn't get fresh water, but the fountain definitely had her drinking quite a bit more.

Other fresh water option, just drink your own water out of a mug, my cat will start drinking out of mine as soon as I stop looking, and sometimes will sneak up and start doing it when I am.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

crowbb posted:

Can someone suggest a wet food for a cat with recurring UTI issues? He's 6 now, just had another UTI after having one previously 3 years ago. Vet wants to prescribe Royal Canin urinary and stress formula, but they are charging a ton and I have heard bad things about that brand. I'm not against paying for a good food, but this vet just zapped me for several hundred bucks more than the previous UTI cost me for the same treatment, and that visit was a late night one to a 24-hour emergency vet. I'm not keen on giving them any more money and plan to find another vet once my cat is done with follow-ups.

FYI, my cat eats the Urinary SO because of chronic UTIs. Sure it's not cheap and when I come home to find she hasn't touched that morning's wet food it's frustrating due to costs; On the other hand it's been 6 years since the surgery to remove 9 bladder stones, and she hasn't had any issues since.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mulloy posted:

So I have three cats, and one of them got a bladder stone. The Vet recommended a diet change to help prevent this, but the only brand of urinary specific food they sell is Hill's and it's far more costly than what I usually buy. (Kirkland based on previous recommendations.) As my cats eat out of a communal bowl, and I've had no luck separating feeding, I was wondering if there were other more economic options and also I was wondering if Hill's is garbage as is.

Any suggestions? Cost isn't really a big thing, but I don't want to pay through the nose for garbage so I'd feel more comfortable knowing what's what.

My cat has been eating the Hills Urinary S/O for 8 years now with no issues, after having 9 bladder stones removed, so it seems that something's working. I feed her with 1/4 can and 1/4 cup dry in the morning, and same in the evening.

I don't know what to do about your actual issue, because my cat doesn't eat with other cats.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sarern posted:

The S/O works for urinary issues so although I don't feel as comfortable with the ingredient names, I stick with the prescription and you should too. I think that recommendation is in one of the OPs as well.

Yeah, my vet said that a lot of people will just stop feeding the prescription stuff after a while because it's expensive, and then surprise! The old issues come back.

Other than a cyst that appeared by her ear a few years back, she's never had any issues since the surgery.