Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I have a cat that's been on a urinary SO diet for several years, so she's been getting Royal Canin's prescription formula. But while she's bladder stone-free, this food has turned her into a rotund ball of blubber and fur. Even the "moderate calorie" urinary SO formula has done little to help her lose weight.

At her most recent trip to the vet, the veterinarian suggested that because she hasn't had any stones in years it might be safe to move her onto a diet food, and he specifically prescribed Hill's Feline C/D. But once again I'm a bit concerned about ingredients, however the vet said if I find another prescription brand that is overall healthier but still accomplishes what C/D does, to let him know and he'll sign off on getting it.

So with that in mind... is there a better alternative to Hill's? Or for that matter, does anyone else besides Royal Canin do urinary SO? If there's better quality brands for either of these, I'm all for it.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Dr. Chaco posted:

If your primary concern is that your cat is fat, the problem isn't the type of food, just the amount. Is feeding her less of the SO not an option?

She's old so I suspect her metabolism has slowed down considerably; my other cat eats twice as much and is skinny as a rail.

If I fed her less she'd just get incredibly pissy... like, literally. She's left special presents on my bed when she doesn't get her way.

Having said that, the vet wants her on prescription diet food. I just was wondering if Hill's C/D is the best there is.

Edit: I do have some misgivings about taking her off the SO entirely, so I might ultimately mix the two foods together. I learned what happens to her when she's not on SO shortly after I found her abandoned, I don't want her to ever go through that again. :(

Ballz fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 8, 2013

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I'm planning on moving my older cat to wet food exclusively. She's always had bad teeth despite getting them cleaned annually and has lost quite a few over the years. This doesn't seem to affect her eating dry food, but all the same I figured she'd probably prefer something softer.

How much should I be giving her a day? She's a big cat in general and could probably stand to lose a pound or two, but I also don't want to starve her (that and she'll just go over to my other cat's food bowl and chow down there). I was planning on buying 5.8 oz cans of Royal Canin Urinary SO, and maybe dividing it so she gets half a can in the morning and half in the evening. Does that sound about right?

And assuming she doesn't eat it all in one sitting, is it ok to leave the wet food out? If it stays out for a few hours, should I add a smidgen of water to it to keep moist?

Sorry if these questions sound incredibly basic, but this'll be the first time in my life I've ever dealt with wet cat food with any regularity.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Any thoughts on Blue Buffalo's semi-new "Wilderness" line of food? Is it any better than their regular line or is it an excuse to mark up their stuff with no discernible difference ?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yesterday I got the news that my kitty is starting to suffer from renal failure. :( The good news is that it seems to be in the early stages, and the vet suggested the best thing for now would be a diet adjustment.

I was given several different prescription cat foods (all wet) to try out, as some cats like one more than others. I was wondering if anyone here knew if one is better quality overall, or if there's another brand I wasn't prescribed that I should seek out.

I got prescriptions for:

-Hills Feline K/D
-Royal Canine Feline Renal Support-D
-Royal Canine Feline Renal Support-E

I noticed the Hills K/D also came in a couple of flavors such as chicken and "ocean fish." Like I said, my cat doesn't discriminate what's in her bowl, so if any one is better health-wise than the others, I'd love to know!

Edit: Of course right after I make this post I open up a can of RC Support-D, and after a couple of licks, my cat gave me a :frogout: stare

Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 24, 2016

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Thin Privilege posted:

Ask your vet if they want you to add low sodium chicken broth to the food, my vet suggested it so i get one from Trader Joes which is 1.99 and lasts ~2 weeks. It helps them get more water into their system which is important with kidney stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion. Are you mixing the broth with the food itself or having it as a separate bowl for them to lap it up? Also, do you heat it up at all, or just serve it to them straight?

Dr. Capco posted:

a can of a newer supposedly higher quality stew type Hill's c/d wet food which still has wheat and rice in the first 6 ingredients which leads me to believe it's not the best quality either.

I'm a little curious about the "stew" cat foods as well. Since I've been experimenting with different prescription wet foods, my cat has definitely responded the best to the Hill's K/D ocean fish stew, which does seem to have a lot of vegetables for cat food. Anyone have any thoughts about it, compared to typical the gel-like paté alternative?

Dr. Capco posted:

I've been feeding my cats nature's variety dry and wet food their whole lives and I'm worried that my cat is going to have to suffer nutritionally now because of his crystal problem. They also said I could do royal canin wet food as well but they didn't have any at the vet for me to try. I also feel like I should have just put them both on pure canned food since they were little and maybe my cat wouldn't have had this problem in the first place. :smith: I know that if a cat needs a prescription diet then you should give it to them but I feel incredibly guilty feeding my cats poor quality food anyway.

Have you tried Royal Canin Urinary SO Moderate Calorie? It's dry cat food and should be available at Petsmart with the other prescription foods. Before my kitty got her renal failure diagnosis last week, she had been dealing with crystals for years, and the RC Urinary SO worked really well for her.

My cat also has a thyroid problem and needs to take a pill twice daily. :( I use a pill grinder to crush it up and then sprinkle tuna flakes on top of it, and she licks it all up happily. Old kitty problems.

Edit: Also, any drink fountain recommendations? Amazon's top suggestions seem to be the Drinkwell Platinum fountain and the Cat Mate 70 oz Pet Fountain.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 28, 2016

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Reik posted:

You should check out this website if you haven't already for feline kidney disease: http://felinecrf.org/

Thanks for this link, it was extremely informative!

So as an update, I tried literally every prescription variety I was given for Shadow, and the end result is she really, really likes the Hill's C/D stew (both tuna and chicken varieties). She's not at all thrilled with pate wet food varieties, so the stew it is, although they only come in the smaller cans.

One thing I learned from that site was minimizing phosphorous in the diet. But in addition to the early stages of kidney disease, Shadow also has a tumor on her thyroid that is kept in check with daily medication (felimazole). Rather than struggling to force a pill down her throat twice a day, I've come up with getting her to lick it up by crushing the pill, and then covering it with some tuna flakes.

Would the tuna flakes have any phosphorous in them? I get them on the cheap from the local Asian grocery store and there's no mention of it on the ingredients, but I want to make sure I'm not scuttling her prescription food diet with it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

drat I wanna eat kangaroo meat, your dogs are living more fulfilling lives than me.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Crooked Booty posted:

Putting a cat with no urinary symptoms on a prescription urinary diet because of crystals in the urine is bad medicine. Crystals are extremely common and not a good predictor for bladder stones. Find a new vet.

Disclaimer: Maybe there is more to the story than the info you've posted here. I'm a vet but obviously have not examined your cat so who knows.

I have one cat on special urinary food, and always have to chase my other fatass, healthy cat away from the leftovers. Her eating the prescription food won't harm her, will it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Do y'all have any thoughts about the ratings given on the Cat Food Database? I'm seeing a lot of new brands pop up recently that aren't mentioned in the OP, and this site seems to be pretty thorough.