Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
I don't see Simply Nourish on any of the lists - I've been pretty pleased with it so far. It's sold at Petsmart and I believe that it's cheaper than Blue Buffalo, so it might be a nice budget option? I just found a senior formulation that has added glucosamine and chondroitin (my 14 year old cat is arthritic and the vet wants her taking a supplement).

Here are the details...

Dry Food - Senior Chicken and Rice posted:

Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, oatmeal, rice flour, canola oil, tomato pomace, natural flavor, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, dried chicory root, choline chloride, flaxseed, dried cranberries, dried carrots, dried sweet potatoes, vitamins (...), DL-methionine, minerals, dried chicken cartilage.

Analysis: >32% protein, >14% fat, <4% fiber
This one seems like it has really low fat, I'm guessing the actual value is much higher.

Wet food - Tuna and Chicken Stew posted:

Ingredients: Water, Tuna, Chicken, Carrot, Tapioca Starch, Sunflower Oil... Tons of supplements.

Analysis: >10% protein, >1.4% fat, 83% moisture.
This food looks fantastic, like human food. It's almost entirely shredded chicken and tuna. Definitely the first pet food that hasn't made me feel vaguely ill.

Wet food - Chicken Recipe (loaf style) posted:

Ingredients: Chicken, chicken broth, dried egg whites parmesan cheese, spinach, oatmeal, whole ground barley, flaxseed, carrageenan, supplements.

Analysis: >9% protein, >7% fat, 78% moisture.
This one is more recognizably pet food. I'm not a fan and will not buy again.

So do these look alright? I've been really pleased, but I want to make sure it's good! I really love this food so far, because my cats aren't spitting it out as much as they did with Blue Buffalo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

Sometimes, you're in the vet hospital really late at night...

... you're super hungry, and everything is closed...

...and that cat food that you're heating in the microwave suddenly starts smelling so good...

Don't eat Purina JM. It tastes like how fish food smells.

When I used to work at the Petsmart PetsHotel a million years ago we'd always get super hungry when the dogs with homemade hamburger and rice meals had their food heated up for them.

We constantly dared each other to try the doggy fro-yo, I'm pretty sure a few of the guys did...

HelloSailorSign posted:

Looks fine to me (though to get a bit OCD about analyses in cats, the carbs are a bit high if we're looking at premium foods), as long as it has a balanced AAFCO statement (if you're USA) on it somewhere. Guaranteed analysis can be a bit inaccurate, but I'd be willing to bet that both protein and fat values are as close as possible to the reported numbers, as those are what cost the most in a diet.

Thanks - I didn't see the AAFCO statement on the bag, though they did have a disclaimer stating that AAFCO doesn't recognize omega fatty acids as essential.

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 6, 2013