Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I'm planning on home cooking for Eccles, my 2 year old border terrier bitch, and just wondered if you wise folks could cast an eye over my proposed plan? I've cribbed the recipes from a dog recipe book and then I've attempted to balance the calcium content myself. The plan is to feed something like chicken 5 times a week and fish 3 times a week. I'm cooking everything, no raw food.

My dog is 18lbs and averagely active so I've figured she needs about 532 calories a day using the Waltham formula. I'm going to balance her calcium at 1000mg calcium per 1 lb of meat.

Chicken
1 whole chicken, boiled and flesh removed, broth saved for adding later.
4 large carrots
2 stalks celery
1 small butternut squash
1 large sweet potato (no skin)
1/2 cup parsley
1 cup quinoa
kelp powder
salmon oil

Fish
2 cups of human quality sardines
1/3 cup brussles sprouts
1/3 cup spinach
1/3 cup parsley
flax meal
kelp powder

Am I missing out any essential minerals, vitamins, fats or other nutrients here? The recipe books says to add pro biotics but all the ones I've found have corn additives and Eccles is allergic to that poo poo. Is is really necessary to add pro biotics or am I covering all the bases with what I have already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

The book I used was How to make dog food by Susannah Cane - credentials according to Amazon are... 'mom' (oh God, now I feel stupid). I also got one called Dinner for Dogs by Henriette Morrison but it was all crazy stuff like doggy mince pies so no good really. The gently caress up with the fish was my doing, showing how terribly ignorant I am at this really.

I have looked at BalanceIT but I'm in the UK so getting stuff shipped over from America can sting me so badly on import tax. Last time I ordered something from the US customs screwed me over for £50, it hurt. They also won't help me with recipes unless they are in direct contact with my vet as Eccles has allergies. I didn't think my small town vet in England would deal with some US website.

I would be very happy to deal with a veterinary nutritionist here though, I know this sounds absolutely stupid but I didn't actually know there were people here in the UK who did that sort of thing. It's an utterly bewildering area to try navigate as a total novice, I've spent 2 days desperately trying to research this and everywhere I go is different. I'm googling for nutritionists in my area and nothing is coming up, is this something my vet would refer me to maybe?

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Thank you so much! There is some good information here, appreciate it.