Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

Where to start? It would be way better for your cats, but I'm just about to head to work and don't have time to breakdown why. First thing I would do is look up the ingredients listed on either panels on wikipedia and just compare the quality. Doing a quick google search on the two brands will get you the ingredient panels, and reading through the ingredients Solid Gold uses in Indigo Moon compared to what Purina uses in theirs will show you the light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

As much as it sucks that Natura had the recall, please keep in mind that they are an incredibly proactive company when it comes to issues like this. My reps that dealt with this recall cited that one bag of cat food and one bag of cat treats were found to have traces of salmonella, which is of course, not good. However, Natura ended up recalling 3 months worth of product that was made in that facility.

Some other companies might have tried to keep that under wraps completely.

This also leads to another note: ALWAYS keep the original packaging your dog or cat food came in. Why?

#1 Each bag has the lot number printed on it for just such circumstances. And

#2 If you do have to return it, and comes to me in a garbage bag, retailers like myself will not take it and

#3 Generally good lasts longer in its original packaging if its sealed and stored properly.

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

wtftastic posted:

So is it safe to go back to Natura brand products? I was feeding California Naturals and had a bag that was recalled, so I stopped feeding it. I was really upset because we'd only gotten it a few days before the recall.

Yes, I'm not sure what the protocol in the states is but in Canada a couple things would have happened.

First all the products are recalled and disposed in a manner that no human or animal can get at it.

The facility would be cleaned top to bottom and then inspected by a government official to make sure it's up to standard. As well they would make suggestions to Natura on how to prevent this again.

If anything Natura's facility is probably even more safe than before. This however hasn't won the trust of anyone and our Natura sales have suffered for it.

oddeye fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 5, 2013

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

We sell Carna4 at my shop and it is extremely expensive. $149.95 for a 26lb? Bag I think.

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

I just read that Del Monte Foods bought Natural Balance. NB is what I feed to my dog... possibility of major changes to ingredients?

I'd be surprised if they made any changes to the food. Especially after what Mars did to the Nutro brand a couple years back after they bought them. They reduced the amount of lamb in the product, making it a rice first ingredient panel as opposed to the lamb first it had been. They had a lot of backlash and they ended up putting it back in months later.

That being said, I just read that Nutro has the best selling L&R I'm the states, so who knows.

oddeye fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 18, 2013

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

So remember when I said Natura would probably come out of this latest recall with higher standards and a greater diligence towards making sure their foods are safe?

Yeah well they made me look like an rear end in a top hat.

Another recall was just issued on all food and treats with expiration dates prior to June 10, 2014.

Again, salmonella found in the food by the FDA, which would require them to only withdraw a couple of days worth of food, but they are recalling everything manufactured after the previous recall.

My boss is livid and is thinking about not carrying Natura anymore.

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

We have the vegan customers who think their pets should be vegan as well. Annoys me to no end. Especially when I explain various reasons why that is a bad idea, or give them options that have meat ingredients that come from free range farms, or fresh caught fish.

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

Madidus posted:

I have one main question, every family member i know gives their pets food at certain times, i always have a bowl ready for mine whenever she wants. it is purina, but she likes it. i think she wants her treats more than the actual food.

Coming from someone who sells dog food for a living, free feeding your pets usually causes problems. Most of the people who have trouble with their pets not eating food can usually be boiled down to a couple scenarios.

They are feeding too much, which is the most common, and easy to fix.

They are adding way too much human food as top dressing on top of the kibble. You wouldn't believe how many people sprinkle cheese or add gravy or broth on their dogs food. They soon learn to expect it and then will forgo eating until something is added.

Lastly free feeding which I think leads to overfeeding as well as a lack of schedule.

So my advice to you is that if your dog rather eat treats is to feed the dog twice a day, at the recommended amount for your dogs ideal weight. I would get it off Purina because its not a great food and start feeding twice a day. I think the norm is right when you wake up and once at supper/when you get home from work.

This is how I do it and my dogs have never complained. :shrug:

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

Why do people insist on feeding their dogs a vegan diet anyways? I sell dog food and even I don't understand the "I'm vegan so I think my dog should be" argument. And don't tell me its animal rights issues because there are foods than include only fresh caught or free range animal protein.

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

Pulsar is a really good food IMO and I'm not biased at all considering its made about 250 km from where I live, and I feed it to my own dogs. As much of the ingredients possible are sourced within 100km of their plant. ..which I've toured. It's a really nice and clean facility. They are also breaking ground on a second facility to make a beef based product as well.

My only gripe with Horizon is that they really haven't nailed down a cat kibble yet. We get a lot of returns of the Legacy cat food they make.

You should add a bit of lukewarm water to the chihuahuas food. It'll help with digestion.

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

Why don't you try something like Purebites? They are a freeze dried, single ingredient treat that is fine for cats or dogs. I have to hide my bag of chicken pure bites that I give to my dogs for training treats cause the cat climbs on the counter and rips the bag open.

Whole Life is another similar brand.

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

Canned tripe is usually a nice option, maybe not so much for the owners due to the smell, but it's quite calorie rich and nutritious.

I made one dog fat over the winter by giving him lots of peanut butter Kongs while I was trying to watch hockey...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

Yeah that's definitely too skinny. You want a little body fat on the animal just in case of an unexpected illness.

The dog has been thoroughly examined by a vet? Has been treated for parasites? This is getting a little out of my expertise but what about thyroid? Sometimes a probiotic helps the dog absorb the nutrients from a food instead of it just running through the system.

Also I would check into getting a higher fat dog food. Maybe something in a 30 protein, 20 fat. Also grain free is not necessarily the bees knees. Some dogs benefit from that extra carb source.