Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Our new puppy isn't coming for a few months, but I'm working up a list of things we need to have on hand when he/she arrives. The breeder starts them out on Iams, and while that's "acceptable," I'd really like to step his/her diet up a notch. FYI, this will be an Australian Cattle Dog puppy and we will take custody of the pup at about 10 weeks of age. The pup's going to be getting a lot of play-time. so I'd put its activity level as "high."

Here's what I'm thinking - Get a small bag of Iams (2 to 5lbs) and slowly start cutting in Victor Grain Free puppy food while cutting out the Iams over the course of a couple of weeks. I'm planning on following the house-training guide in the puppy thread, so I'll be offering food twice daily, morning and early afternoon. If that goes well, and puppy seems happy and healthy, slowly start to offer a portion of Kirkland's Cuts and Gravy with the morning feeding (1/4 of a can) just to add some variety into the pup's diet. If that goes well, I'll start adding some to the afternoon meal as well, but keep it kibble heavy for dental health. I've read good reviews of both Victor and the Kirkland canned food, but if anyone has any further insights, they would be welcome.

How much food should I be offering a 10 week old ACD initially, and with that in mind should I buy kibble by the 30lb bag, or a smaller size?

Also, I have a friend that has made a habit of buying 30lb bags at a time for his adult dog, but he never buys the same sort of food twice in a row, rotating through six or seven "premium" brands, slowly cutting one bag of food into the meal plan over a week's time. He claims the dog is happier and healthier for the variety, and that keeping her on a mono-kibble diet results in her becoming bored with whatever food is offered and losing her appetite. This sounds reasonably sane to me, but once again, I'd like to get some other opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU