Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scunish
Feb 27, 2006

A doggy rescue!
I knew my cat was fat, at just shy of 16 pounds, but after his annual checkup at the vet yesterday it turns out that he is ENORMOUS. The vet did a metabolic exam and concluded that he's supposed to weigh 8 pounds. The problem isn't that we intentionally overfeed - we have two cats, and each gets 1/4 cup dry (solid gold indigo moon) and 3oz wet (solid gold blended tuna) per day. The problem is that we haven't found a good way to keep them separated, and so McFatty almost always winds up eating at least some of skinnycat's food. Prior to the vet visit, we'd been feeding fat cat on the ground, and skinny cat on the counter. What often winds up happening is that skinny will eat some of fatty's food, so then we put skinny's down on the ground to compensate. Defeats the purpose I know. Our next plan was to feed fatty in another room, skinny on the counter, and see if that works.

Anyway, the vet prescribed Hills Metabolic for weight loss. I know from this thread that prescription Hills is supposed to be fed as prescribed even though the ingredients may be horrible, but I wanted to as you guys, does that rule follow for the Metabolic line? It seems like just poor quality food to me, of the weight loss variety. We started feeding it to him last night, but wanted to get your guys's input. I know he won't die from eating corn gluten meal and chicken byproduct meal for a few months, and the vet DID prescribe it, but yuck. Personally I'd rather just try our new isolation feeding method to see if that works, but if he actually needs this stuff, I won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scunish
Feb 27, 2006

A doggy rescue!
What an awesome response - thank you! We'll keep him on it and report back his svelte new frame. :)

scunish
Feb 27, 2006

A doggy rescue!
Wow. I seriously thought we've been skimpy with the food. Imagine the money I'm going to save! Ha ha :)