Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
I just got my first dog of my adult life (a papillon mix of some type) from a shelter. They had her science diet puppy chow which has to go. That means I'll have to pick a kibble that's preferably high in protein and healthy fats and low in carbs and hopefully available at Petsmart.

We had our first breakfast this morning and I thought I would transition her off of the garbage slowly, so I gave her 1/4 cup of kibble instead of 1/2, then an egg to go with it. The egg got eaten, the kibble is still in the bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

HelloSailorSign posted:

Until you have chosen a food to feed her, avoid major caloric contributions with human food. A single egg, for a Papillon type, is a gigantic caloric contribution. Once you have found the new diet, then you can transition off, but using human food to do that is unnecessary.

I gave her half of her normal "breakfast" amount and supplemented the other half with the egg, which is a great protein and fat source for basically any carnivore or omnivore. The egg is infinitely better for her than the science diet.

And not to be rude, but calling an egg a "human" food is hilarious. There are a lot of species that have to back off our egg monopoly I guess.

Mr. Belding fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 3, 2013

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Crooked Booty posted:

Sorry but no

You know what's worse than feeding crappy puppy food? Diluting that already low nutrient content with random unbalanced food. An egg is better than doritos obviously, but you're missing the point.

P.S. have you heard of a calcium phosphorus ratio? It's this thing that you really should not gently caress with in a growing puppy.

Eh, I'm was planning on easing into a raw food type of diet instead of doggie TV dinners. Maybe this thread just isn't for me. I'll look for a place where people are talking about that kind of stuff I guess.

Balanced food is hilarious, too. May 80s nutrition never die.

Mr. Belding fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 3, 2013

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

HelloSailorSign posted:

So unbalanced food is all the rage, huh?

You have a (likely) 4 pound puppy. You fed it one egg. That might not seem like a lot, but it's the same as feeding a four year old human 10 eggs in a meal and calling it "a good meal."

Hellloooooo cholesterol.

A shade over 10 pounds. She's (likely) a papillon mix. Some sort of spaniel for sure.

Dietary cholesterol... I'm not saying dogs are identical to humans, but come the everloving gently caress on. Cholesterol doesn't work that way. And you think an egg will hurt a 6 month old puppy then I just don't know what to say.

Canids aren't any more nutritionally complex than people (simpler actually) and either can live a long and healthy life on nothing but meat and and a favored veggie here and there. Granted it's better not to eat that way because variety is fun, but that variety doesn't need to be corn meal and beef byproduct.

edit:

Oh, and I hope this helps regarding cholesterol. Yes it's from 1973. It works the same way in people. We have known this for 40 years and people still find it too complicated.

Mr. Belding fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 4, 2013

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yes, it was dumb of me

So far so good, but it can't last.

quote:

to assume you have the knowledge of the average person (almost none) and used a common health myth in order to try and get the point of unbalanced across. Seeing as you glossed over Crooked Booty's Ca:Phos ratio, I assumed to use something more common to try and get the point across.

I didn't gloss over it. Once more Ca:Phos balance exists in humans as well. Look. If you're honestly convinced that the very best food in the world comes in packages then knock your self out. Eat chicken nuggets and giver your kids tv dinners and your dogs old roy. I don't give a drat. And I wouldn't criticize you for doing it because plenty of people do and it's your choice. I know where you stand and you're totally down with that stuff, and you know where I stand and I'm not. I'm pretty sure we can just leave it at that.

(And once more if you think an egg is going to throw off a 6 month old puppy's calcium to phosphorus ratios then sorry, apparently you think kibble sprouted, baked and purified from the ground before people showed up. It didn't.)