Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

lamb posted:

I have a 10-year-old cat whose buddy recently passed away. Next Tuesday, we're going to pick up a friend for him from the shelter who is considerably younger (4 months old).

Once they get over the introductory period and are eating communally, how do I handle feeding? Assuming separating them for feeding time until the kitten is on adult food is not feasible, am I better off feeding kitten food to both or adult food to both? Is kitten-specific food even a necessity?

As In Drywall said, you'll want a food that is labeled either "Cat and Kitten" or "Formulated for All Life Stages." Make sure that is written on the packaging. For example, Innova Evo dry cat and kitten food would be fine. Innova Evo canned food comes in both a "Cat and Kitten" variety as well as a "Cat" variety that is labeled for "adult maintenance." It must be the "Cat and Kitten" variety to be healthy for both your adult cat and your kitten.

e - The difference between Adult/Kitten/Puppy food as well as information about large breed puppies and "how long before my pet is an adult" should probably go in the OP. These questions get asked a lot.

Nione fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Syfe posted:

Thanks, we've been feeding him less. We had him on Innova EVO weight management but our local pet store stopped carrying it over a recall over tainted food and have said that they're very angry and never carrying that food again. Which upsets me because Zavi was losing weight on it. We moved to Orijen which he binged on whenever it was down and it was impossible to manage between the two cats. So we've been looking for an alternative, looks like we may just have to search for a different pet store in the end though.

If you want your cat to lose weight, you're going to have to feed him meals. If it was impossible to stop him from binging on the Orijen then it's also unhealthy to just let him eat as much Innova EVO (or other weight management food) as he wants. Put both cats on a schedule, feed them separately so if fat cat scarfs his food down he can't just finish the other cat's food, etc. and he'll start losing weight again. We have three cats who ALL eat separately. Ramona and Frank have to eat in different rooms or Frank will eat his food and then try to eat hers. This makes her eat super fast to try and eat as much as she can before he tries to steal it and then she throws it up all over the place. Iggy has to eat his food in the bedroom because he's on a prescription diet. We've had a lot of success getting Frank to lose weight by replacing at least half of his dry food with canned food. Now that they're used to eating meals, it's not a problem to give them wet food and I think it makes him feel fuller (because after he eats it he goes and lays down instead of complaining a bunch about how he needs more food).

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Lethanialist posted:

We actually took him to a vet ER the first time, paid the $800 or so to be told "we don't know." We talked to our normal vet after and their suggestion was that the "LifeSource" bits in the Blue Buffalo are undercooked and our cat's stomach could be too sensitive to the bacteria. I don't think they did any extensive bloodwork to check his liver but said that he was extremely healthy otherwise. We triple-checked to make sure there were no poisonous substances exposed in the house or any foods (cat, human, or otherwise) being left out and couldn't really figure it out.

We'll stick to Purina, I just feel like I'm feeding a child Hamburger Helper for dinner and it makes me feel a bit bad.

I agree both that I think it's very strange that a food switch could cause that without it happening most of the time after the cat ate (and not every couple of weeks) AND that if your cats are doing well on it, it's perfectly fine to stick to Purina One.

That being said, you could always try switching to a "better" food with similar protein levels to start out. For example, Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken has similar protein levels to the Purina One, but doesn't have any corn, wheat, or animal by-products. It does still have grain in it, but it's brown rice and barley. If you DO try this, you need to go really slow with the transition, carefully monitor the cat, and immediately stop feeding it the new food and take it to the vet if it shows any signs like you saw before.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Psychobabble! posted:

Any recommendations for a low calorie good quality kibble that's okay for puppies? My 5~ shiba inu gets a stuffed kong/treat dispensing toy a few times during the week to keep her busy and tire her out a bit. Thus far we haven't noticed an increase in weight, but a lower calorie kibble would be nice because it feels like we're feeding her a lot.

Since Aiko is still growing, I'd be wary of switching her food to something with fewer calories if she's not gaining too much weight. What are you feeding now and how much? Also, how old is she?

Also, don't let fat shibas owned by stupid dogladies convince you Aiko's gonna be fat and needs a low calorie food.

e: because I only just figured out who you were and I knew the answers to a number of things I had asked.

Nione fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 9, 2014