Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

RentCavalier posted:

At the risk of sparking the ire of god, how can we be sure of that?
If they do, then it'll take a lot more than one poorly-selling system. Sega only did it after the Sega CD sold poorly, the 32X bombed hilariously, the Saturn bombed only somewhat less hilariously, the Nomad failed, and the Dreamcast had pretty flaccid sales. Nintendo by comparison is still huge in the handheld space and probably has enough cash in the bank that they could bury every unsold Wii U next to an ET cartridge and still stay in the hardware market.

randombattle posted:

The power of a console has never once made a difference in anything.
If the power difference is enough, then it forces studios to adapt content and such to make it work on another system, and that increases the risk that studios will just decide that it isn't worth it. The Wii is already suffering from that problem.

Nevermind that we just got through the console generation where the PS2 had pretty sharp technical limitations that prevented several PC ports from coming over (i.e. KOTOR, HL2), and before that we had a generation with very few cross-platform titles thanks to the sharp capability differences between the PSX and N64.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'm curious how they accomplish the deal with interplay and Phillips.

Phillips is the well known and well documented SNES CD boondoggle which had Nintendo getting Sony to create their SNES CD only to switch to Phillips and piss everyone off. Phillips then developed the CD-i and had a deal with Nintendo to have some Nintendo brands on it. Super Mario World 2 was supposed to be on it and called Super Mario Wacky Worlds. It was never completed.

The "Edutainment" series of games like Mario Teaches Typing, Mario is Missing and Mario's Early Years! were just off licensed and not created by Nintendo. I guess Nintendo just thought it'd be something good to do and didn't want to waste time making it themselves like they did with the Donkey Kong Math game.

Renoistic posted:

I know a lot of Zelda fans who are saying,"I hated TP, but after playing Skyward Sword I have to admit it wasn't that bad."

Zelda is the kind of series that has so many fans, everyone has a different opinion in what they want. So when a new Zelda comes out, everyone loving loves it long time and then after a few months, everyone hates it. And then usually people become nostalgic for it once the next Zelda comes out. And it really isn't because the games are getting worse, they just try to appeal to something new in every gamer. Not saying the games don't have flaws. If you check the Zelda thread and ask people what they want for the next Zelda you will get a unique response every time. Some people want the next Zelda to be in space with robots. I poo poo you not.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 16, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

It's the same reason Nintendo consoles have always had that annoying Health & Safety screen when you turn on the device. They homogenize the activity so nobody can be offended.

Haha, what? They have that because they got sued by someone with epilepsy and are legally obligated to do it. Can we please not just make poo poo up?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yyyeeeah, I doubt even Nintendo thinks Pikmin 3 will be the game to break through to the market. They're probably putting a lot of their eggs in the Wii Fit U basket for that. A "Fitness Set" containing the game, console, and corresponding peripherals needs to hit shelves by fall, in my opinion.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Isn't a big problem tech?

From everything I've heard, the WiiU can barely run current gen stuff. That's going to be a pain for people to develop for as we move over to nextgen graphics/systems. I can't imagine many third party developers willing to develop specifically for the WiiU with sales as they are, which will only make things harder for them in the future.

People keep bringing up the 3DS/Ps3, but those are rather separate cases. The 3DS is a well built device, that can pull off a number of technical feats, it's issue was always price, so when they lowered that and remarketed it, it managed to do a strong turnaround. With the Ps3, again, it had the tech in place, it just took a rebranding and a lowered price/exclusives, and people forgave them.

But what will that achieve with the WiiU? Even if I could buy one for $100, I wouldn't because why. Outside of MHTU, or ZombieU, I just don't care about anything on, or coming to the system. And even in those cases, I have the very functional 3DS version, and Ubisoft has said they want to port ZombieU. And it's going to be harder and harder to develop for the thing, because PC/PS4/probably Xbox will be running x86, and require very little work to switch over, while this is running whatever it is, and require work to downgrade games for it.

I don't think it's going to kill Nintendo, but hopefully it'll make them rethink their business strategy a little.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think the far better comparison is that the WiiU is Nintendos Saturn. Its not gonna kill them outright, but it'll likely put them on really weak footing.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I called this mess back in the Wii U launch thread a couple weeks prior to release and got shouted down. The years-old specs, the branding, Nintendo's refusal to exploit their back catalog, it's a perfect storm of bad decisions that would take years to fix. They need some kind of bombshell like a Pokemon MMO to even begin dredging this thing out of the muck, but they just don't have the time.

I feel like Nintendo probably have a future, but it isn't the U. I expect them to pull out of the home console market and take a stab at making their own phone. They're too risk averse to try competing with Sony and MS in terms of raw specs.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Hobo Siege posted:

They're too risk averse to try competing with Sony and MS in terms of raw specs.

That's because while the weakest console doesn't always win the generation, the strongest console always loses.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Something Nintendo could do to bounce back is capitalize on all the small-to-medium size developers that can't possibly keep up with the gargantuan budgets the next generation will require to compete. They have something going with Platinum Games and Retro Studios, but they need more. They have to turn the Wii U into The Developer's Console and sell a narrative of "those new consoles leaving you behind? Nintendo will help you survive in this rocky games industry". I'm surprised they didn't jump on buying Vigil Games since they already have experience with Wii U development.

Now you've got a whole host of exclusive third-party(!!) games coming to your console, while the big new players in the business are struggling to stay up with just the huge unstable developers supporting their console with occasional releases. If they can do that and also couple it with a solid price drop, the Wii U could become a big deal.

I doubt any of this will happen, however.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That's because while the weakest console doesn't always win the generation, the strongest console always loses.

Only if you count obviously niche consoles like the Neo Geo.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That's an interesting OP. I had the impression the WiiU was selling like hotcakes. I own a Wii and it never got much use honestly. I could check simple internet sites, weather, news or things like that, but there were always better options available. Of course the main selling point was the motion controls but in most games I see played people are sitting down flicking their wrists or arms. When a friend of mine was showing me his WiiU, I was totally surprised how much features they added in. It really felt like it's own full unique console. That friend could switch between playing games, using the internet, switching TV inputs, volume and whatever all through that little handheld controller-screen thing. I figured the lower specs made the system less appealing but I had imagined the Wii had did just fine even though it was behind also.

Reading this thread though it seems like things are going far worse than I had thought. This thread also reminded me how confused I was about the WiiU when it was announced. I had no idea it was a console. First I thought it was a feature rich controller for the Wii, then a portable crossbreed between a DS and a Wii, and then finally it's own system. I had to actually look it up for a bit to realize what it was.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I certainly hope Nintendo isn't basing business decisions on rules of thumb like this that have a sample size of, like, 5. For example, had the PS2 been more powerful than the N64, that would not have made the PS2 lose to the N64/Dreamcast.

Also, as far as the cash-on-hand keeping Nintendo afloat forever thing, that's not necessarily as big of a safeguard as it might seem. Just because they have enough money to last a bunch of Dreamcast-level failures doesn't mean that they could realistically do that. Investors and higher-ups would cause for huge changes in the way Nintendo works way before that, and if it really got to a desperate situation they'd probably get bought out by another gaming company.

That said, there's almost no way the Wii U alone could do that, even if it were a hugely dismal failure, but I think a huge failure (or two) and a decline in the handheld market (possibly caused by the mobile gaming sector) could be enough to cause Nintendo to restructure to be very different from the Nintendo we know now.

waffle fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 16, 2013

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

miscellaneous14 posted:

Something Nintendo could do to bounce back is capitalize on all the small-to-medium size developers that can't possibly keep up with the gargantuan budgets the next generation will require to compete. They have something going with Platinum Games and Retro Studios, but they need more. They have to turn the Wii U into The Developer's Console

I'm pretty sure Sony's already got that. You think they got Suda 51 to say it makes him horny by accident?

There's already representation for small-to-medium size games on the Ps4. Blacklight Retribution, Primal Carnage: Genesis, War Thunder, etc.

I can see what you're saying, but the idea that only the big fish can survive on Sony and Microsofts consoles is becoming less and less prominent. small-to-meds don't need to stay in the WiiU's little pond.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 16, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Definitely on the "they'll be fine" boat.

poo poo I don't even care. Worst case scenario it's another gamecube and we still get dozens of incredible first+second party games and the occasional third party gem.

I think I spent more time on Smash Bros Brawl and MH combined than I have on all my other systems (minus the PC) combined and I've owned every major console.

vvvvv And not even the Japanese market is buying into it. With loving Monster Hunter on it at release.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 16, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If Sony could turn round the PS3 from a distant last place to a successful console with developers eager to make games for its successor, then there's no reason why Nintendo can't do the same. If they didn't just focus on what their Japanese audience wanted all the time, then they wouldn't be in this situation.

Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho

OneEightHundred posted:

Nevermind that we just got through the console generation where the PS2 had pretty sharp technical limitations that prevented several PC ports from coming over (i.e. KOTOR, HL2), and before that we had a generation with very few cross-platform titles thanks to the sharp capability differences between the PSX and N64.

Everytime I think about my Xbox collection (I have been collecting) and how many of the games ran just well enough for me to enjoy them (KOTOR, MORROWIND) but apparently the PS2 was just below the cut to get an attempted port; it's crazy to think about all those years everyone told me their PS2's were so much better than my Xbox (While I plugged away at Halo and Halo 2 multi happily).

Personally, now I will never buy a console ever again because anything below a ~$900 Sandy Bride is just proprietary, limited, poo poo in my eyes. My experiences with both the PS3 and the 360 were uniformly awful.

Meanwhile, the same Core2Duo I plugged in in 2007 plugs away at all the latest games. As someone who knows a thing or two about processor architecture, it's going to be a long, long time before graphics software developers truly over-utilize those things. The i5 2500K I plugged in today is probably going to be playing video games published in 2020.

Divine Disclaimer fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 16, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Haruharuharuko posted:

Wait until the 3ds successor. By that point smart phones will have almost completely killed the market I have no doubt.
Unless smartphones start spontaneously growing tactile buttons and d-pads, I kinda doubt that.

Divine Disclaimer posted:

Personally, now I will never buy a console ever again because anything below a ~$900 Sandy Bride is just proprietary, limited, poo poo in my eyes. My experiences with both the PS3 and the 360 were uniformly awful.
I have to agree, the next "console" I'm probably going to get is a souped up HTPC that can run my Wii and PS2 games (the ones I own and have the disks of, thank you very much) and, ironically, it was the PS3 that showed me the light of that particular path with the Youtube, Netflex and Crunchyroll apps.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 16, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

miscellaneous14 posted:

Something Nintendo could do to bounce back is capitalize on all the small-to-medium size developers that can't possibly keep up with the gargantuan budgets the next generation will require to compete. They have something going with Platinum Games and Retro Studios, but they need more. They have to turn the Wii U into The Developer's Console and sell a narrative of "those new consoles leaving you behind? Nintendo will help you survive in this rocky games industry". I'm surprised they didn't jump on buying Vigil Games since they already have experience with Wii U development.

Now you've got a whole host of exclusive third-party(!!) games coming to your console, while the big new players in the business are struggling to stay up with just the huge unstable developers supporting their console with occasional releases. If they can do that and also couple it with a solid price drop, the Wii U could become a big deal.

I doubt any of this will happen, however.

I don't think I've heard that suggested before, despite everyone bemoaning the death of the AA- and A-level games market. It seems like a good idea to me but it depends on how many of those smaller developers still have good ties to Nintendo.

waffle posted:

I certainly hope Nintendo isn't basing business decisions on rules of thumb like this that have a sample size of, like, 5. For example, had the PS2 been more powerful than the N64, that would not have made the PS2 lose to the N64/Dreamcast.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here. The PS2 obviously was stronger than the N64 but it was five or six years newer than the N64. They weren't in the same console generation by any stretch of the word.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 16, 2013

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

That loving Sned posted:

If Sony could turn round the PS3 from a distant last place to a successful console with developers eager to make games for its successor, then there's no reason why Nintendo can't do the same. If they didn't just focus on what their Japanese audience wanted all the time, then they wouldn't be in this situation.

As has already been pointed out, the Ps3 didn't have problem with specs and capabilities. Technically speaking, it could do everything the 360 could do. The WiiU doesn't have that.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I just have no interest in anything Nintendo offers anymore. I remember seeing the games Nintendo highlighted at E3 and with very few exceptions they were all Nintendo games and ports of games nearly two years old. Watching Reggie actually aggressively try to pass Arkham City as something truly new and not just a port with a couple new features just sealed it for me.

I bought a Wii way back when knowing it'd be underpowered and basically for Nintendo games while my 360 would be for everything else. But Nintendo's games have really gone downhill for me. Twilight Princess was pretty forgettable, Mario Kart was actually a step backwards from Double Dash, and I can't really put my finger on it but Brawl just didn't click. I watched my roommate play parts of Skyward Sword and it looked terribly unfun. I've heard amazing things about Xenoblade but it's not worth pulling the machine out of the closet and finding space under my TV for. As much as I would love to play Pikmin 3, my experience with the Wii and the incredible mismanagement of the WiiU launch leave me feeling like I'll sit this one out. Hell, if MGS5 gets a PC release I might sit out the next generation of consoles altogether for a couple years.

Funny that the OP compares WiiU to the Dreamcast. My Dreamcast has taken up my Wii's place under my TV since I got tired of Nintendo's offering.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bobnumerotres posted:

Definitely on the "they'll be fine" boat.

poo poo I don't even care. Worst case scenario it's another gamecube and we still get dozens of incredible first+second party games and the occasional third party gem.

I think I spent more time on Smash Bros Brawl and MH combined than I have on all my other systems (minus the PC) combined and I've owned every major console.

vvvvv And not even the Japanese market is buying into it. With loving Monster Hunter on it at release.

Monster Hunter has long been a portable game. I don't think it really picked up its stride until it went portable on the PSP and became part of a shared social experience. That's pretty much why handheld gaming is dominating in Japan: a densely populated small landmass, combined with games that encourage going out and meeting with people in order to accomplish stuff. The Wii U (and consoles in general) don't necessarily cater to that.

By contrast, outside of Japan, gaming over the internet is considered extremely important, particularly in the US, where not everyone who wants to play games with eachother are always located conveniently close by. The 3DS gets poo poo on because it doesn't take advantage of its internet connectivity, while Nintendo consoles in general have consistently failed to adapt to the growing trend of services like PSN and XBL. Nintendo famously declared that Internet gaming was a gimmick, and they have paid for that.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Pithy "rules" like this drive me crazy as there's no real basis in reality. Unless you count the Neo Geo, which at its price was arguably never going for giant mainstream success, then the SNES was the most powerful of its generation and also the top seller. The PS3 is in some instances the most powerful of this generation, and yet is neck and neck with the 360 in global sales (and the sales leader, the Wii, is essentially running the same tech as the previous generation). The original Xbox was the 'loser' of its generation, but it was always known it would be the loser - it was more about solidifying the Xbox brand and setting up the 360. Should Sony simply call it a day since the Durango's specs are a little weaker?

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 16, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Another Dreamcast parallel: http://kotaku.com/ea-has-no-games-in-development-for-nintendos-wii-u-507588994

This is another reason the Wii U and PS3 aren't really analogous. Despite having a bad launch, third parties never bailed on the PS3.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Space Racist posted:

Pithy "rules" like this drive me crazy as there's no real basis in reality. Unless you count the Neo Geo, which at its price was arguably never going for giant mainstream success, then the SNES was the most powerful of its generation and also the top seller.

I find a lot of people try to argue that the 3D0, Jaguar and PC-FX didn't have to compete with the SNES but that's a lot of crap. None of those consoles were able to beat the SNES and once the N64, Saturn and PlayStation came out they all died quick deaths. The SNES might have been the strongest cartridge console (if we act like the Neo Geo didn't exist like you're trying to) but it still competed with CD based consoles. Partially because the technology was early but also because nobody was going to buy a $599 console when for $149 they'd get better games.

My point was that gaming is expensive and the more expensive you make it, the less affordable it is for everyone. You can't rely on a demographic of 18-35 males who spend their disposable income on alcohol and video games. You can only go so far on that. Fact is, the gaming industry wants top of the line gaming consoles but the reason the console industry has stayed ahead of the PC market is because it used to be far more affordable to buy a gaming console compared to a PC. Now it looks like companies are just releasing five year old PC's with a controller. The company that makes their console the most affordable with the best games to play is going to be the market leader. Not the company that tries to be a three year old PC instead of a five year old PC.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

My point was that gaming is expensive and the more expensive you make it, the less affordable it is for everyone. You can't rely on a demographic of 18-35 males who spend their disposable income on alcohol and video games. You can only go so far on that. Fact is, the gaming industry wants top of the line gaming consoles but the reason the console industry has stayed ahead of the PC market is because it used to be far more affordable to buy a gaming console compared to a PC. Now it looks like companies are just releasing five year old PC's with a controller. The company that makes their console the most affordable with the best games to play is going to be the market leader. Not the company that tries to be a three year old PC instead of a five year old PC.

Fair enough, and I'll agree if there's a fairly significant price increase to accompany that extra power, that system likely won't do well no matter how amazing its tech specs are (see launch PS3).

There's been a lot of speculation about Microsoft adopting a cellphone-style subsidy system to get the upfront cost of the new Xbox in the $300 range, and I'm really curious to see both how that fares and how Nintendo would respond. Sony has a pretty obvious response in PS+ (especially once Gaikai streaming of PS1/2/3 back catalog games gets started, presumably linked to having a PS+ account), but Nintendo doesn't seem to have any obvious response aside from just cutting the price.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
The Wii achieved massive success because it reached out to casual gamers, but also non-gamers. My boss got a Wii for the family to use it as a Netflix machine. It doesn't make any sense to me, but it's a sale.

The Wii U offers literally nothing to non-gamers that made the Wii an insanely successful machine.

- they bought it for Wii Sports. Is there a new Wii Sports? No? Pass. What's this thing called NintendoLand? Is it Wii Sports? "No, but it's sorta--" "Pass."
- The Wii was used by seniors and medical teams for rehab. Do you need the GamePad for that? No? Pass.
- "I have Wii Fit." "Well great, there's a new one coming out called Wii U Fit--" "Will my old Wii Fit still work?" "Well, yes but -- " Pass."

It's a portion of the market that really has nothing to do with major gaming franchises, or anything someone reading these forums cares about. It's also where Nintendo made a buttload of money. They need to get that market back again to double-dip, but how do you convince someone to buy a new oven or vacuum if the old one works perfectly fine and hasn't broken down?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Jetfire posted:

The Wii achieved massive success because it reached out to casual gamers, but also non-gamers. My boss got a Wii for the family to use it as a Netflix machine. It doesn't make any sense to me, but it's a sale.

The Wii U offers literally nothing to non-gamers that made the Wii an insanely successful machine.

- they bought it for Wii Sports. Is there a new Wii Sports? No? Pass. What's this thing called NintendoLand? Is it Wii Sports? "No, but it's sorta--" "Pass."
- The Wii was used by seniors and medical teams for rehab. Do you need the GamePad for that? No? Pass.
- "I have Wii Fit." "Well great, there's a new one coming out called Wii U Fit--" "Will my old Wii Fit still work?" "Well, yes but -- " Pass."

Nintendo seriously struck gold with the Wii but it was something they could only strike once.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
When was the last time Nintendo made a new IP that was successful? Pikmin? They just seem to be a "New" Super Mario Brothers factory now. While the 2D zeldas are ok I'm struggling to think of a series I'd play if they migrated to software only. But hey, Sonic still sells and I'm sure Mario will too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Space Racist posted:

Pithy "rules" like this drive me crazy as there's no real basis in reality. Unless you count the Neo Geo, which at its price was arguably never going for giant mainstream success, then the SNES was the most powerful of its generation and also the top seller. The PS3 is in some instances the most powerful of this generation, and yet is neck and neck with the 360 in global sales (and the sales leader, the Wii, is essentially running the same tech as the previous generation). The original Xbox was the 'loser' of its generation, but it was always known it would be the loser - it was more about solidifying the Xbox brand and setting up the 360. Should Sony simply call it a day since the Durango's specs are a little weaker?

Why would you not count the neo geo? The whole point is that pie in the sky dream systems that have the most megabytes don't actually compete and it's always the lesser systems that are fighting it out. Despite people always talking like more numbers = better sales.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

My point was that gaming is expensive and the more expensive you make it, the less affordable it is for everyone. You can't rely on a demographic of 18-35 males who spend their disposable income on alcohol and video games. You can only go so far on that.

You also can't rely on the demographic (consisting of multiple age groups) of people who didn't have an interest in gaming before the Wii came out, as the Wii U has proven. Nintendo simply expected Wii owners to make the leap to the new hardware without so much as questioning why they should, or what it was they were actually buying, hence the weak marketing we've seen thus far.

The PS3 managed to turn things around because, on top of price drops and a massive shift in marketing, software started flowing in and third parties weren't making a show of openly declaring their complete lack of support for the system. Their focus on "gamers" eventually did turn things around despite the rough start, and the PS3's utility as a blu-ray player also helped keep it relevant for households that were in the market for one. It cost Sony dearly, but they are still a relevant name in the gaming industry among developers and consumers alike. Had they NOT made the efforts they did to turn things around, the PS3 could have been the end of an entire brand.

Ultimately, regardless of whatever secondary features a console may have, whatever the price might be, a gaming console is a gaming machine first, and if you actually deliver the goddamned games that lots of people can be excited about, you stand a chance of remaining relevant as a gaming console. High prices eventually fall, but a price drop/being cheap by itself isn't enough to guarantee your system keeps its place on the market shelf. If that was the case, maybe the Dreamcast wouldn't have died the way it did, and the Virtual Boy would be fondly remembered as a great success once it dropped to 50 bucks at the KayBee Toy Store.

The Wii U is floundering on the "delivering games" front, and Nintendo's response has been to remain as tight-lipped as possible and focus their current marketing efforts on people who already own the system or are already fans of Nintendo. They are doing the opposite of what made the Wii such an explosive hit in the first place.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

fivegears4reverse posted:

The Wii U is floundering on the "delivering games" front, and Nintendo's response has been to remain as tight-lipped as possible and focus their current marketing efforts on people who already own the system or are already fans of Nintendo. They are doing the opposite of what made the Wii such an explosive hit in the first place.

I think the tight lipped thing is now a matter of changing strategies. Iwata just took over Nintendo of America. They are doing a Nintendo Direct tomorrow to make announcements before E3.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nintendo Directs don't speak to anyone other than Nintendo fans. There are probably people in this thread that don't even know what those are (even Nintendo fans). I think the last Direct had only 200,000 uniques on Youtube, and the UStream hits maybe 6 figures if it's lucky but the last Direct I watched live had like 50,000.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Relin posted:

When was the last time Nintendo made a new IP that was successful? Pikmin? They just seem to be a "New" Super Mario Brothers factory now. While the 2D zeldas are ok I'm struggling to think of a series I'd play if they migrated to software only. But hey, Sonic still sells and I'm sure Mario will too.

Would we count revivals as new IPs if they manage to sell to gamers who didn't grow up with them? I wouldn't really call them successful (though I'd think Uprising would have made back all the money put into it by now) but they did pretty much bring back the IPs that had become dormant since the early 90s like Kid Icarus and Punch-Out. Of course now they have IPs they used in the late 90s and early 2000s like F-Zero and Star Fox that fell into the same hole the aforementioned franchises were lost in for around twenty years.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

One thing that's different about Nintendo's approach to the Wii U compared to the 3DS is that there were games announced for the 3DS before launch, which are only now getting around to being released, like Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing. Nintendo didn't want to get people's hopes up for games that wouldn't be released for years, so they haven't mentioned them.

What a tremendously stupid idea.

A console can be sold both by what it currently has, as well as its potential. I bought my Wii U with HMV's huge discount because I know there will be good Nintendo games in the future, I just don't know what they are or when they'd be released. My Wii was gathering dust for years after I bought my PS3, but I would have sorely regretted not owning one when games like Rhythm Heaven Fever, and Kirby: Return to Dreamland came out.

Also, I disagree that it's impossible to make anything other than a $50 million budget game on the PS4/New Xbox, because they each have a digital distribution service that have allowed for smaller games to find their niche. Steam has shown that budget and indie titles can get as much recognition as AAA games, as long as they aren't sectioned off and ignored. However, Nintendo's online service just sells a small selection of games for full retail price (or even higher than that in the UK), with no sales or price drops. If the only way to make any money on the Wii U is with a boxed copy, then it's not friendly to small developers.

E: VVV E3 is the gladiatorial arena in which game companies fight for death or glory. I know which one I'm more excited to see.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 17, 2013

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nintendo Directs don't speak to anyone other than Nintendo fans. There are probably people in this thread that don't even know what those are (even Nintendo fans). I think the last Direct had only 200,000 uniques on Youtube, and the UStream hits maybe 6 figures if it's lucky but the last Direct I watched live had like 50,000.

Yeah, thats why its such a bad decision to pull out of E3. Nintendo needed a platform where actual major news sources were watching, so they could speak to the masses and tell them exactly what they wanted them to hear. Instead, they've decided to eschew major news source coverage in exchange for preaching to the choir.

People say they shouldn't have tried to compete with Sony and MS at E3, but there's a big reason why people still go to E3.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Quest For Glory II posted:

You are talking as if every game publication on the planet doesn't watch them to report what comes out of them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You are talking as if every game publication on the planet doesn't watch them to report what comes out of them.
Well clearly not everyone reads game publications considering people don't know what the Wii U is.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Are third parties skipping the Wii U due to attachment rate? No. I hear this brought up all of the time but any time a new console comes out, third party publishers do whatever they can to design games so people buy the console. They want consoles to have high attachment rates and the only way to have that happen is if your games are coming out for it. I doubt Enix expected to make money on Actraiser at launch. It was all about getting people to play it so once ActRaiser 2 came out, it was a recognizable game. The concept of skipping a new console because the numbers are low is just crazy based on history.

Sorry but this is just hilariously wrong, right now there have been several developers, some even in the last week, who have literally come out and said developing for the WiiU would be a waste of time and money because of low attach rates.

Also right now Three out of Three of the major middleware engines are skipping the WiiU entirely, and one of them (Frostbite) will have a version for every single home gaming system the WiiU, including Android and iOS.

If that's not damning as hell I don't know what is.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

because of low attach rates.

Every new console has an attach rate lower than the consoles that have been out for several years.

This shouldn't be difficult to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Are third parties skipping the Wii U due to attachment rate? No. I hear this brought up all of the time but any time a new console comes out, third party publishers do whatever they can to design games so people buy the console.

Haha no this isn't at all true. Third party publishers don't "invest" in struggling consoles, not when there's plenty of competition.

• Locked thread