Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie pulls that nowadays when she wants me to carry her. The Princess has apparently gotten used to me carrying her a lot while her feet heal and decided she likes it.

Walking on cold asphalt? A giant puddle of mud in the way? Just start staring at the Tall Man and he will probably cave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Idunn turned nine recently. :3:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

That looks like a very soft head that i would wuzzle endlessly between my hands

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Happy Birthday Idunn!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Such cuties! Happy birthday!

Ella just looks hilarious when she is begging. She gets these stern-looking eyes that are hard to describe. I think she thinks she looks cute as hell, but she just looks stern. Over the last 6 months or so she has also really discovered that using her paws to show that she wants something is working on us. If she is laying next to me and doesn't like that I'm using my phone she'll slowly use her paw to push it down (Ella hates phones as they distract from precious petting time). Another funny thing is when we met another Greyhound and he, just Ella, started to whine because he was getting bored from us owners talking. Ella does the exact same thing even if we just stop to decide which direction to go, or stop to talk with someone.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

happy birthday Idunn!!!!! :woof:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Happy birthday! :toot:

jesus WEP posted:

That looks like a very soft head that i would wuzzle endlessly between my hands

:hai:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I love the cleavage aka the chicken cutlets

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

My sister had this made for me for my birthday

:3

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Lots of good doggos lately

Katie had her Gotcha Day anniversary a few weeks ago. Not a full burger, but she got some ground bison mixed in with her dinner along with extra yoghurt and pumpkin:

(Waiting for permission to eat is the only trick she knows)

She’s not lifting her foot to be precious, that’s the one that was the most sore after the corn removal. She still limps a little bit on hard surfaces but she wants to take walks again and it generally doesn’t bug her that much (it sure doesn’t prevent insane indoor zoomies on carpet, I can tell you that much)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

pastor of muppets posted:

My sister had this made for me for my birthday

:3

oh that's so nice!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Well, it has happened. I had to say goodbye to Josie today. I know I didn't share her a lot here but that was mostly because it's a pain for me to put pictures in a post.

She had been declining the last couple months, having a lot of trouble with vision in the dark, stumbling on steps or going over thresholds. Like she would pause at a threshold and have to nerve herself up and she would do a little plunge- step to go over. Trip on the step up into the decking. Trouble in the dark like just walking into parked cars, off of kerbs, getting "stuck" outside at night when coming in from a wee because the door wasn't directly in front of her. I took her to a vets who didn't find anything and suspected maybe a neuro issue, but manageable. Anyway it slowly got worse instead of better.

Last night she went down 2 carpeted steps from a landing and somehow fumbled that and crashed at the bottom and snapped her back leg, at the skinny bit where that big blood vessel snakes around. Didn't break the skin but apparently shattered the bone rather than a clean break, although no obvious osteo on x-ray something not right with bone. Spent all night just thinking about outcomes and in my heart knowing with her vision and mobility problems, and her unbroken leg being the arthritic one, her recovery would not be easy no matter what. With whatever underlying issue was going on (let alone any results from bone biopsy) there was only one kind choice really.

I will update later with some stories and pictures. She was a very good girl, sweet natured and silly, and didn't deserve the trauma here at the end. But she went while she was super doped up so not in pain, with her two favourite people giving her fuss and reassurances.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

im so sorry for your loss :sympathy: i suppose at least the choice was an obvious one, even if it’s never an easy one

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh drat, I'm so sorry to hear that - that's awful! Poor Josie :(

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I am so sorry. What an awful time. I’ve loved your stories about Josie and Union before her over the years.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I am so sorry to hear about Josie. Sweet-natured and silly is all the best things about greyhounds, and while traumatic, at least her end wasn't a prolonged, painful ordeal.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I'm so sorry skool, Josie was such a treasure :(

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
:(

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I'm sorry for the loss of your hound.

I'm slightly dreading when my old girl's time comes even though she is about 13 and I know she's lived a long life already.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So sorry to hear about Josie!!! :(

tough last few months in the greyhound thread!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
So sorry to hear about Josie. Please share any stories about her when you're ready.

For content, sometimes the butt scritches hit just right:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i also forgot to post dog pic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I also forgot a pic

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Oh, right

An invigorating greyhound walk

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Partly to fulfil my end of the photo quota, but also because I was sorting old hound photos, here's a photo of Opal during her first winter and first summer with us. She was always such a little baby! haha :D She never failed to make me laugh, with the things she was fussy about, as well as her roaching and sitting skills

It's too cold!

It's too hot!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Piper accept the presence of visiting toddlers because they drop food she can snag.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So sorry to hear that skool :(

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I just wanted to post my appreciation of my wonderful hound Katie! (Don’t worry, nothing happened to her!)

She’s so happy! Especially at meal times, she bounces around very energetically

I have never seen a dog THROW toys the way she does. Lucy might toss a ball at your feet so you could throw it, but Katie’s hurricane zoomies end up launching toys all over the place. Nearly certain she does this on purpose. Of course she’s also drat near silent when she plays, other than the panting and the sound of her paws on the carpet

A while back I’ve also tried to be intentional about snuggling with her on the floor every day. With all the stuff I’ve been dealing with when my parents were on the decline and ultimately passed I realized there were days I didn’t really interact with Katie other than the walks, feeding, etc. She seems to have grown even closer to me after I started doing that. She’ll lean against me or press her head into me while she’s getting snuggles

She’s also pretty funny. It snowed on Friday evening and it got cold again overnight, so Saturday morning was very chilly. She was MOVING during her morning walk. Hard to take a picture of because she kept stopping to shake herself every 15 seconds as she desperately searched for the perfect spot to do her business

We’re still working on her separation anxiety and have at least found a dose of trazodone that lets me leave her for several hours without issue, which is very good for my mental health. Her awful corns are the other big issue we’re dealing with and I’m going to be trying some new stuff there. It breaks my heart seeing her limp around and lift her paws up because her feet hurt so much

I’ve been meaning to make a post like this even before the latest loss; this thread has been gloomy for a while. It can be easy to overlook the everyday joys of the good times

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

david_a posted:

I’ve been meaning to make a post like this even before the latest loss; this thread has been gloomy for a while. It can be easy to overlook the everyday joys of the good times

Yeah, I agree - it's always good to appreciate the regular, good days. And Katie is such a good dog! I love that pic by the water bowl :3:

On the topic, Tazo has actually been real happy again, for the first time this year. I took four days off around last weekend, to have a six-day weekend to spend with him. We went out on walks a bunch and he was super happy. Then after a short work week, this past weekend I took him to the beach. He absolutely loved it - even bounding around at the usual stop-off we make on the way there, for him to relieve himself at the halfway point.\

He actually wanted to go into the water this time, too! In the past he's always found the water unappealing. Opal eventually started enjoying it last year, so it's good to see that it's clicked for Tazo and he's realised that it can be fun. I'm gonna take him back again in a few weeks I think, to have a proper romp in the water, while "water = fun" is still fresh in his mind. (Since I wasn't really dressed for the water, so we couldn't go as deep as he wanted)

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

skoolmunkee posted:

Sometimes I just think, TODD

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
That's great to hear about Katie! Intentional bonding time with our dogs is something I've thought about before too; my partner has been traveling a lot for work recently and it's too easy to get caught up in the daily schedule that I forget to just snuggle.

Watson has been showing more interest in playing With us recently. He's always enjoyed romping a d chomping his toys but would stop if you got near him. Lately he's had this new game where he'll run at me and play bow, run to my partner and bow, run back to me, etc.. Except sometimes he doesn't stop in time and headbutts us.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

NomNomNom posted:

Except sometimes he doesn't stop in time and headbutts us.

It's fun playing chicken with hounds that either have no sense of depth perception or understanding of their velocity

TODD loves you and is thinking of you

... for a certain loose definition of "thinking"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
If I tease Katie with a toy she will lunge for it and do a bit of tug-of-war but that’s the closest she gets to playing “with” me. It just doesn’t seem to be a natural greyhound thing.

With other dogs she just wants to chase them and gets very, very annoyed if they don’t run (she starts barking right in their face with her hackles raised). There’s some people that watch her when I go to KY and their dogs have learned that she’s like 2X faster than them so playing chase isn’t fun for them, but Katie doesn’t care about their opinion. Quite bossy when she wants to be!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

If I tease Katie with a toy she will lunge for it and do a bit of tug-of-war but that’s the closest she gets to playing “with” me. It just doesn’t seem to be a natural greyhound thing.

With other dogs she just wants to chase them and gets very, very annoyed if they don’t run (she starts barking right in their face with her hackles raised). There’s some people that watch her when I go to KY and their dogs have learned that she’s like 2X faster than them so playing chase isn’t fun for them, but Katie doesn’t care about their opinion. Quite bossy when she wants to be!

My favorite memory of Spartacus was the first time taking him to the dog park. Some of the other dog owners recognized a greyhound and oohed and ahhed as he sped over to the other dogs running around playing chase. He caught up to them right away and then just bounced along in what I recognized as an easy lope, but everyone else was impressed.

And then a swift dive-bombed the field, and he turned on the jets to chase it. The bird was probably loving with him but he ran himself ragged and almost caught it a few times, and everyone else was just like "holy poo poo" at how fast he really was when he was actually trying. Keeping up with a bird on the wing is no mean feat

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

One of my favourite memories of Gello was how she slowed down whenever her sausage dog friend "chased" her. The only time she didn't was when we found a sandy Jeep track, and all bets were off! Poor Maddie had no idea which way to face, let alone where to start running.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
One of my big "disappointments" with Teedo is that he's not interested in dog parks. We've taken him twice, and both times he just kind of stood awkwardly next to us for a few minutes before pointedly facing himself in front of the exit gate

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Photo dump! I had a few more I wanted to post but imgur is being weird, oh well.

Rain:

Mac:

Tennyson:

And some gifs:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Those are some sleepy sleepy longdogs

Katie does that head tuck nuzzle now too, and I recognize that look when you scratch right above her tail or on her rear hips

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Whadduya mean this isn’t where the new bed is supposed to go, it seems fine right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

An online friend's daughter just drew Gello for me. She said that Gello sparkled, and now I am a weeping mess (in a good way).

She did really good capturing the essence of ears and snoot.