Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

skoolmunkee posted:

More greyhound pictures please. :]

Here's one of Jet that didn't come out great, but basically he decided that rolling from side to side on the rug was really freakin' cool for about 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I hate to bring the thread back down, but... it's just not a good week for greyhounds. :smith: Jojo, whom I posted on the last page, was killed today... She was randomly attacked by one of the pits she lives with, and then the other pit jumped in.

Her owners were at work when the dog walker came by to let them out for a bit. Jojo came back inside and laid on her bed, like she always does, but the smallest pit, Gracie, came up to her and started growling and lunged at her neck. The other pit, Benny, has a known prey drive and has killed one of their cats and two of their chickens already. So of course he jumped in and attacked with Gracie. This is all what the dog walker said, though. There's no telling what really went on.

The dog walker works for a pet care company that's owned by a lady who has some REALLY inaccurate pack leader/dominance-type behavior knowledge. I don't know if they train their dog walkers in anything pertaining to behavior, but it could have had an effect (the cat was also killed on the dog walker's watch, but it was a foster dog that initiated it, Benny finished it). Allegedly Benny is showing some aggression to said dog walker as well. He never showed any such behavior to me, at all, even when I was literally blocking/dragging/carrying him away from the chicken he'd killed.

Said company owner said some bullshit about how it was Benny's "pack behavior gone out of control." Even though Gracie initiated. Either way, Jojo's owners know better than to buy into that crap. Jojo was quite old, maybe something about her weakness prompted Gracie to attack? Maybe she had a mild seizure which freaked Gracie out? Gracie does have some bad reactivity issues toward other dogs while out on leash, but never had an issue with Jojo. Benny's just a dick who likes to kill poo poo. I never saw ANY concerning behavior toward Jojo in all the weeks I petsat. This is just awful. :smith:

Gracie is the small pit up front, Benny is the black and white one in back. Jojo of course on the right. Kai, the mutt on the left, adored Jojo.

RIP Jojo. :smith: Sorry you had to go that way.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Oh god that is so horrible. I am so so sorry. :[

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

:stare:

Dear god that's awful.

...does Gracie have one eye?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yes, she had it removed years ago when she came to the shelter, not sure why. I don't doubt it may have contributed to some of her reactivity somewhat, but otherwise it doesn't seem to hold her back any.

edit: I just can't imagine how they feel. I wouldn't be able to look at those pits the same ever again. :smith:

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 26, 2013

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
That's terrible. :( That dog walker sounds like an idiot, to be honest. That's the thing with dog aggressive breeds, you always have to be careful when they interact with other dogs, even dogs they know. I would never feel comfortable leaving multiple dogs in the care of someone else. I feel like the fight could have been broken up before Jojo was killed, but if the dog walker was overwhelmed and didn't know how to handle the situation...yeah. It's so sad that she had to go that way. :( If people would just understand DA better, things like this wouldn't have to happen...

Skizzles posted:

edit: I just can't imagine how they feel. I wouldn't be able to look at those pits the same ever again. :smith:
You just have to look at it as dogs being dogs. Whatever prompted Gracie to attack Jojo wasn't evil intentions, just dogs being dogs. It's hard, because we love our dogs so much. But accidents happen. I know that even I would have a hard time looking past an incident like that, but I couldn't blame the other dogs for just doing what they're programmed to do.

Azrael Alexander fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 26, 2013

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

That sucks. It's been a bad time for Greyhounds lately. It's also been a bad time for Pit DA/redirection resulting in death lately. I know someone who had a Pit and a Malinois. They were contained separately while the owners were away. Somehow the containment broke down and the dogs fought. The owners came home to a dead Malinois and a Pit who had to be euthed at the vet due to severe damage. Just heartbreaking.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
How awful. :(

Azrael Alexander posted:

You just have to look at it as dogs being dogs. Whatever prompted Gracie to attack Jojo wasn't evil intentions, just dogs being dogs. It's hard, because we love our dogs so much. But accidents happen. I know that even I would have a hard time looking past an incident like that, but I couldn't blame the other dogs for just doing what they're programmed to do.

Logically I would know this, and while I would feel awful, I would just think "they're just being dogs" and probably be less upset about it than most. But Benny is mildly horrifying when he goes into prey mode, he's like a different dog. Gracie's just a dick. They're both sweet as can be with people, but they are not dogs I could ever handle owning. Let's face it, I'm biased 'cause Jojo was my favorite. :smith:

I think they're worried about Benny and not sure what to do with him. They still have two cats. Gracie and Kai bother them the most, but occasionally Benny gets more interested in them than I'm comfortable with, and if they ever make a noise out of distress, he's going for them. Gracie and Kai just chase them out of fun and are easily redirected. Benny cannot be redirected. So I don't know what they're gonna do with him. :/

Sorry to keep semi-derailing, I'm just kind of shocked by all this. I really can't help but think it had to be something to do with the dog walker. Maybe she stressed Gracie out and she took it out on Jojo, or she just missed some important signals, I don't know. The owner isn't using that dog walker anymore, at least.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I'm confused as to how they can keep the dog after that, wouldn't it be better to find a new home for him? A catless one?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Normally he doesn't bother the cats and ignores them better than the other two. It wasn't until a former foster dog initiated the attack on one of the cats that he jumped in and finished it.

But I think they might be considering finding him a catless home, I'm not sure. I know if I was in their shoes I would feel that might be the best idea.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Skizzles posted:

Normally he doesn't bother the cats and ignores them better than the other two. It wasn't until a former foster dog initiated the attack on one of the cats that he jumped in and finished it.

But I think they might be considering finding him a catless home, I'm not sure. I know if I was in their shoes I would feel that might be the best idea.

I don't know how this works, tbqh. I agree he can't stay in the home since he's a danger to the cats, but who wants a dog that participated in killing another dog? Like, not even a strange or aggressive dog, but a dog that was an established part of their home. Seems like it would be very hard to find someone willing to take him in.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Skizzles posted:

How awful. :(

Logically I would know this, and while I would feel awful, I would just think "they're just being dogs" and probably be less upset about it than most. But Benny is mildly horrifying when he goes into prey mode, he's like a different dog. Gracie's just a dick. They're both sweet as can be with people, but they are not dogs I could ever handle owning. Let's face it, I'm biased 'cause Jojo was my favorite. :smith:

I think they're worried about Benny and not sure what to do with him. They still have two cats. Gracie and Kai bother them the most, but occasionally Benny gets more interested in them than I'm comfortable with, and if they ever make a noise out of distress, he's going for them. Gracie and Kai just chase them out of fun and are easily redirected. Benny cannot be redirected. So I don't know what they're gonna do with him. :/

Sorry to keep semi-derailing, I'm just kind of shocked by all this. I really can't help but think it had to be something to do with the dog walker. Maybe she stressed Gracie out and she took it out on Jojo, or she just missed some important signals, I don't know. The owner isn't using that dog walker anymore, at least.
I'd say it's pretty obvious that Benny needs to be in a home with no cats or small animals. Was it Benny or Gracie who did most of the damage to Jojo? Or does anyone even know? Had the dogs ever fought before? Without actually witnessing what happened it's hard to make a judgement call about the individual dogs behavior. I know a lot of dogs, regardless of breed, who don't normally display DA but will gang up on another dog that's being attacked. I've seen our family dogs do it, when my aunt's dog attacked mine. My cousins dog, who is normally buddies with my dog, jumped right into the fight. We broke it up before anyone was seriously injured, but I don't doubt that they would have killed my dog if we hadn't.

Serella posted:

I don't know how this works, tbqh. I agree he can't stay in the home since he's a danger to the cats, but who wants a dog that participated in killing another dog? Like, not even a strange or aggressive dog, but a dog that was an established part of their home. Seems like it would be very hard to find someone willing to take him in.
There are probably rescue who would take him in. The might not even offer him up for adoption, but let him live at their facility as an alternative to euthanizing him. Or he could go to a pit savvy home where he is the only dog. I don't believe in euthing dogs for DA or prey drive, even if the dog killed the other dog/animal. But he will require an experienced owner who understands DA, understands the situation that took place, and is willing to work with him and not put him in a situation that sets him up to fail. That's what happens with so many DA dogs - they are set up to fail by their owners who don't "get" DA or think that it is curable or nonexistent. Part of being a responsible pit bull owner is addressing dog aggression in a rational way, for your dogs sake and the sake of other dogs as well.

Azrael Alexander fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 26, 2013

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Azrael Alexander posted:

I'd say it's pretty obvious that Benny needs to be in a home with no cats or small animals. Was it Benny or Gracie who did most of the damage to Jojo? Or does anyone even know? Had the dogs ever fought before? Without actually witnessing what happened it's hard to make a judgement call about the individual dogs behavior. I know a lot of dogs, regardless of breed, who don't normally display DA but will gang up on another dog that's being attacked. I've seen our family dogs do it, when my aunt's dog attacked mine. My cousins dog, who is normally buddies with my dog, jumped right into the fight. We broke it up before anyone was seriously injured, but I don't doubt that they would have killed my dog if we hadn't.

There are probably rescue who would take him in. The might not even offer him up for adoption, but let him live at their facility as an alternative to euthanizing him. Or he could go to a pit savvy home where he is the only dog. I don't believe in euthing dogs for DA or prey drive, even if the dog killed the other dog/animal. But he will require an experienced owner who understands DA, understands the situation that took place, and is willing to work with him and not put him in a situation that sets him up to fail. That's what happens with so many DA dogs - they are set up to fail by their owners who don't "get" DA or think that it is curable or nonexistent. Part of being a responsible pit bull owner is addressing dog aggression in a rational way, for your dogs sake and the sake of other dogs as well.

I have no idea who did the most damage to Jojo. It could have easily been Gracie, because when she decides she hates a dog, she does NOT relent if given the chance to get at them. But it could have just as easily been Benny.

I'm wondering if they may consider giving him back to the rescue he came from. That's the first thing I would do. I agree dogs shouldn't be euthed for DA or prey drive, they just need an appropriate home. I appreciate their love and advocacy for pits, but I'm thinking they should cool it on owning them.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Skizzles posted:

I have no idea who did the most damage to Jojo. It could have easily been Gracie, because when she decides she hates a dog, she does NOT relent if given the chance to get at them. But it could have just as easily been Benny.

I'm wondering if they may consider giving him back to the rescue he came from. That's the first thing I would do. I agree dogs shouldn't be euthed for DA or prey drive, they just need an appropriate home. I appreciate their love and advocacy for pits, but I'm thinking they should cool it on owning them.

This is becoming a bully thread more than a sight hound thread, but...

I don't think I have a problem euthing a dog that killed another dog (especially one of your own) if the alternative is sending it back into the shelter system. The system is taxed enough. It's scary for the animal. Euthing would be a kindness in so many situations. In a perfect world, all dogs with DA would be owned by responsible people intimately familiar with DA, but the reality is that there are more DA dogs than DA-savvy people. If the decision is made with love, why not?

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Skizzles posted:

If the rescue will take him back, that definitely seems like the best option at this point. Seems to me like they just have too many drivey pets to properly deal with, and lack the proper knowhow to deal with it in the appropriate way. I hope that they at least learn from this experience so it doesn't have to be repeated. :/

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

a life less posted:

This is becoming a bully thread more than a sight hound thread, but...

I don't think I have a problem euthing a dog that killed another dog (especially one of your own) if the alternative is sending it back into the shelter system. The system is taxed enough. It's scary for the animal. Euthing would be a kindness in so many situations. In a perfect world, all dogs with DA would be owned by responsible people intimately familiar with DA, but the reality is that there are more DA dogs than DA-savvy people. If the decision is made with love, why not?

Well, to be fair, I also agree with this. Up north where the shelters are less crowded, it's not as big a deal. But that's not at all the case where they are. It's a tough call.

Their intentions are nothing but good, and they understand "dogs will be dogs," so I trust them to ultimately do what's right for the dogs. We'll see.

I'll stop derailing this thread now sorry. :ohdear: We can go back to happy greyhound things.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Skizzles posted:

We can go back to happy greyhound things.

On Monday Ty went out to pee, and as usual he stopped to snifsnifsnif at a bush where a chipmunk lives. After a few minutes I realized he was still standing there, staring. I went over to see, and there was an itty bitty baby bird about 1' from his nose. Two happy things: He didn't eat it, and didn't try to take it when I picked it up to put it back in the nest. (It's still up there doing fine).

Good boy Ty.

SUCH NOBLE DOG.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Comic book writer Gail Simone has a retired racer named 'Scuro, and she posted this picture of him recently:

I think we can all sympathize.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

RazorBunny posted:

Comic book writer Gail Simone has a retired racer named 'Scuro, and she posted this picture of him recently:

I think we can all sympathize.

Sure can. Jet has the most rancid farts I've ever smelled, and on days where he's especially gassy he likes to lie right behind where my tower fan is, so I get fart blown in my face.

Man's best friend indeed. He's lucky he's cute.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
Sassy and Atticus have never really been around kids at all, so I was a little nervous when my niece came to visit. It worked out pretty well, though.

They're mad that she's gone home.

naig
Jan 25, 2006

"crawl, walk, and then run"
Here's my rescued galgo (spanish greyhound), Milla:

As long as she can be free in dog run every now and then, she mostly sleeps on cozy places. Haven't regretted adopting her a bit.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003
Sighthound owner checking in. Greyhounds should be the most popular dog in america because like us: they're so drat lazy around the house.

Just for dog-nerd clarification on the OP: a sighthound's (and all dogs for that matter) gallop is nothing like a horse gallop. When dogs perform a rotary, double-suspension gallop, there is a good bit of spine flexing. Horses perform a diagonal, single-suspension gallop with a rigid spine.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Adam

Adopted him about a week and a half ago and so far so good I reckon. A bit food / bed aggressive but nothing that a little time and consistency can't take care of.

The thing that strikes me is how aloof he is. He seems cool about pretty much everything -- other dogs, other people, other greyhounds, any other situation I have brought him to -- and is willing to accept attention from pretty much anyone, although he doesn't act like he gives a crap about any of it and that seems to confuse people. I'm not sure if this is his personality or if he's just still shellshocked or something at the idea of being a pet but I feel I lucked out how I don't have much in the way of major behavior issues out 'n about. Is anyone else's like that? It's a bit surprising, this sorta aloofness, considering he was in like 177 races.

Also yeah it's been a week and a half and I got the he's so thiiiiiin thing about 5 times now.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 7, 2013

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Aw what a good boy! Looks like you're taking him to interesting places already. :]

Yup, greyhounds can be described as "aloof" for the types of things you're describing. I tended to think of it more as confidence and easygoingness, though. Some greys can be nervous but in my experience most of them are pretty steady. They can get interested and excited about things, but they're not excitable.

Racers do get handled a lot, and I'm sure as their breeding history goes, they're meant to be easy to handle and be comfortable in different situations. Mine took some getting used to small dogs, and didn't like things such as busses, but it was not too hard to work her through those.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003
1 week = still sensory overload. Give it more time for the personality to emerge.

Congrats, he's pretty. If you ever want to lure course, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. Fun thing to do with retired racers.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Some of them do remain more aloof, but it's very unusual for them to be unfriendly. Even the most :effort: ones I've met will still sidle up to a likely candidate for petting and do a lean. I've never known one to be afraid of strangers or anything, once they've adjusted to being a pet, but I'm sure it happens sometimes.

Husker was wildly outgoing for the breed, and even he took a couple of months to really start to show that side of himself. I think it coincided with the time period where everything stopped being new - once he had seen most of the things he was going to see in his life as a pet (other animals, kids, bicycles, and so on and so forth), he was able to relax. My mom met him at Thanksgiving, two weeks after we got him, and when she finally saw him again at Christmas she was convinced we had gone and traded dogs because his behavior was so different.

We have a friend in the rescue whose dog Ariel developed a fantastically nosy personality. She's not as interested in being petted as Husker was, but she wants to get all up in everybody's business. If she's at an event at a store or shopping center, she has to check everybody's bag as they walk past. It's adorable. But she started off just as standoffish as any other dog fresh off the track, with no indication that she would become a busybody :3:

Ariel is also the politest dog ever about taking treats, I love it.

Adam is very handsome, I think black greyhounds are so pretty. You should get him a dog shirt with a big gold lightning bolt on his chest so he can be Black Adam. And then you can shout "Shazam!" at him, and only geeky people will get it.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona got comfortable with us pretty quickly, but it took well over a year for her personality to emerge. It's really amazing how much more confident and playful she is now, especially with other dogs. We have some friends we see once or twice a year, and they've made comments on how much more personable she is.

Honestly, the best thing for her was letting her stay for a week with a friends Lab. Like, the constant exposure to another dog made something click for her.

RazorBunny posted:

Ariel is also the politest dog ever about taking treats, I love it.

The polite treat taking is the greatest thing - it really throws people off. I don't think my hands have ever made contact with Mona's teeth or tongue while giving her a treat.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 7, 2013

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

gninjagnome posted:

Honestly, the best thing for her was letting her stay for a week with a friends Lab. Like, the constant exposure to another dog made something click for her.

My sister's Aussie was the one who taught Husker to play, he really didn't grasp the idea until they were out in the yard together and she was like "Chase me chase me!" and he was all, hey, I can do that, chasing is just running, this is fun! And then they wrassled and he was briefly confused and then totally into it.

quote:

The polite treat taking is the greatest thing - it really throws people off. I don't think my hands have ever made contact with Mona's teeth or tongue while giving her a treat.

I'm not sure how Ariel even gets the treat out of your hand, it's like she teleports it a few inches into her mouth, that's how gentle it is. She doesn't know any tricks to earn a treat with, but she's just so sweet and genteel that you feel like she deserves a treat just for being an elegant lady. She's also really small, like 48 lbs, so it was always funny to put her and Husker (80 lbs) side by side and show people the full range of size in the breed.

Man, every new dog in this thread makes me that much more eager to get through the next year so I can adopt another one. I should email the rescue coordinator and ask her if we need to fill out a new application or if they have a different process for "alumni" so to speak. And I think we still have one of their banners and donation boxes from when we tried to get a meet-and-greet going at our local Petco :ohdear:

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Indeed, I would describe Adam's attitude outdoors as calm if not necessarily relaxed, as if he's taking it all in so to speak. Bits of personality are definitely beginning to show up though and he's dead-cockroach sleeping with the best of them.

I'll look forward to how the next few months unfold, especially once the hot weather subsides. I'm in it for the long haul (hopefully) after all.

technolizard
May 19, 2013
skoolmunkee, I sympathize with you deeply. Almost the exact same thing happened to one of my greyhounds. She too was in for amputation from bone cancer, and again she was doing fine after the surgery and just drifted away recovering at our vet. I still miss her. They really do enrich our lives in the little ways :unsmith:

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Good dog, Casey,

What? No, that's not right.

:stare: Do whatever you want, dog.

(Sorry for the poor quality. My phone isn't great at this)

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

It was always entertaining when Union spent 5 minutes fluffing and arranging her duvet, only to flop down with most of her not even on it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Husker would lay down with his body on the bed and his face on the floor, and gradually his nose would get smoothed against the carpet more and more until he couldn't breathe, at which he would wake up with a start and grumble and ruck his bed around and then lay back down with his face in the floor :downs:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Jet's normally pretty good at not sleeping like an idiot(except when he roaches), although he will diligently scratch the cushions/covers/whatever into just the right shape of heap and then collapse on it with a deep sigh. He sometimes lays down and totally hangs his head off the sofa, but that normally doesn't last, and I'm pretty sure it's just so he can give me his best 'give me more food' eyes.

Anyway, here's a picture of him having kicked the covers off half the sofa, because it's better that way.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Cross-posting some pics from Tong Your Pets

Tess tolerates a lot. Other dogs bother her, but no amount of teasing from me gets anything but sad, patient, and distant gazes

Casey is skittish. He scares himself bumping into furniture. Foreign objects are Very Spooky and so he didn't get tonged for long enough to get a good picture.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Does anybody have any experience with rescue organizations within a 4-5 hour drive of Champaign, IL? I.e. we're willing to travel to St. Louis, the Quad Cities, Milwaukee, Central Michigan, Indianapolis, or anything closer. We are beginning our search but don't really know how to choose between the orgs that pop up on Google Maps.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Nice Davis posted:

Does anybody have any experience with rescue organizations within a 4-5 hour drive of Champaign, IL? I.e. we're willing to travel to St. Louis, the Quad Cities, Milwaukee, Central Michigan, Indianapolis, or anything closer. We are beginning our search but don't really know how to choose between the orgs that pop up on Google Maps.

We had good luck with GPA Wisconsin. I imagine they'd just refer you to an Illinois org, but that might be what you need.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Nice Davis posted:

We've adopted a few dogs from REGAP in Mendota, IL (2 hours from champaign) and will continue to do so.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Thanks for the recs, guys. It looks like REGAP is having a meet n greet in Champaign this weekend, so hopefully I'll get introduced to some starving dogs in a few days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Man it has been super hard the last few weeks without Union! She was so important to me and it's just tough without her, her schedule, empty spaces in the house and stuff. :sigh:

Anyway I thought I would share some Union stories! Because dogs.

Union always took treats and 'chunky' foods to her bed if she could. Even if they were things she didn't particularly want to eat. Sometimes I would try giving her things like apple slices, lettuce cores, and scrambled eggs. Those she just carried back to her bed and tore up and made a huge mess. Thank you dog.

Greyhounds love chasing rabbits and near my there is a huge nature park called Sutton Park. If I went near dawn or more often dusk, all the rabbits (the park is overrun) would be out pokin' around and Union could scare 'em up with a little chase. She'd see them from really far off and tear off at them, ripping up dirt clods behind her. She never got that close to catching one though (except once). I could tell when she started to get old though because she lost interest in chasing them, and stopped being able to see them unless they moved a lot (old dog vision). It was a little sad but every now and then she'd put up a spirited jog after one she'd spied.

Sutton Park also has a herd of grass-trimming cows and another herd of exeter ponies, and we'd come across them pretty regularly. They're wary but if you're respectful they'll tolerate you to a distance. One time we came across a bunch of teenager cows though (herd replenishing) and one of them was super brave and curious and followed Union around for the 15 minutes or so that we hung out. Union was like 'what is goin onnnn??' She also came over to me and snuffled me up and down and let me scritch her head. :3: cows

I have long believed that the best, friendliest dogs wear bandanas. Also Union was mostly black and so colorful ones looked really nice on her. It started small, just a spare one I had already, and then a pink punk-skull one I picked up at a store. At a visit to a fabric store with my mom though, there were so many lovely fabrics... anyway I have like fifteen or so different ones now, all different colors and patterns. Modern red-green-orange stripe. Red with golden suns. Greeny with flowers. I think once I learn to sew a little better I'll try to make some kind of... fabric mosaic thing with them or something.

One time I took Union to a country fair thingy and a kid came up to pet Union, asking if she was friendly. I said "yeah she is really gentle" and his dad said "dogs with bandannas are the friendliest dogs" and I was like YES IT IS TRUE

Union did not like water other than to go ankle-deep to have a drink, but she loved mud for some reason. I had to learn where in Sutton Park not to go after it had rained or else I'd have a super dirty dog to clean off. She'd really wade around in it.

I had Union for a year or so before I managed to get my cats over from America. I kept the cats in the bathroom for about a week to start introducin them to the house and dog slowly. It turns out Union was pretty scared of them and refused to be in the same room for a while. This would have been fine with Godzilla who doesn't care about dogs, but Zoe loooooves big gentle dogs and basically harassed Union until Union tolerated her. Union never really was affectionate to her, but it was cute to see how she warmed up over a longish time and let Zoe get away with more and more before getting bothered and leaving.

Also there are some neighborhood cats that would cut through my yard, or hang out in the weedy bit in the back, or sometimes try and have a poop. Union was great at spooking them off, but one of the cats was fearless and would let Union charge right up to it. It would stand there all poofed and ready but Union did not know what to do other than sniff at it, because it wasn't running. I also have had hedgehogs and baby hedgehogs in my backyard! Union did not know what to do with those either, other than sniff them. Pokey.

Union also loved meeting new people and getting out and about, so I took her to a bunch of publicity events for the rescue. Waiting in front of shops with a donation bucket, country fairs, stands and things. Most of the other attending greys would get bored and go lay down on the provided beds after a little while, but Union was determined to Get All The Pets and even when we'd be at Crufts for 8 hours, refused to go lay down. She was a good ambassador. :3: Another crufts story, they set up barricaded indoor areas with sawdust for dogs to pee in, but Union was a lady and refuses to pee on anything but grass. I'd always have to find a side exit with a grass patch nearby for her to pee on.

Union hated me messing with her duvets. If I tried to pick them up and fluff/arrange them, she'd come over and sit on it so I couldn't. DOG. I also mentioned how she'd sometimes spend like 5 minutes kicking and pulling her duvet around to get it just right before flopping onto it. Sometimes when I was away, a friend's family was able to take her. They realized quickly that she wanted to sleep in the same room as people, and apparently her fixing her bed was really fascinating to them and caused a lengthy discussion about dog personalities.

The first time Union really barked she scared herself and she ran upstairs.

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 15, 2013