Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Pig Head posted:

I second this!!

Skeeter doesn't really even bark yet but you can tell he's trying. When he gets excited, he whines and makes guttural noises that make my heart hurt.

My friends are starting to shop for a bigger house specifically for him. It's hilarious. He's a Very Lucky doggy.

Husker only ever barked like four times, and it was usually during play with one of his toys. And one time in response to a super weird noise from the yard. He did have a whole repertoire of whines, deep weird moaning sounds, and sighs that he could express all kinds of things with.

I know a greyhound named Harley, on the other hand, who communicates entirely through grumbles. Happy grumbles, hungry grumbles, grouchy grumbles. Hilarious. We dogsat him over a weekend one time and he just grumbled the whole time. He's also pretty old, though, so I don't know if the grumbling is relatively recent or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I'll try to get a something longer later tonight. She's already gone back to bed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrIdpR3t_wQ
Messy apartment, shaky camera.
Adorable dog.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Oh gosh, what a cutie! Roo roo roo hrnf

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
Thread needs more pictures of pointy dogs.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Anyone have a recommendation of a place online to get a Tess a warm coat for this winter? It's still 90 here in Tucson, but last year the nights got a little too cold for her.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

rhoga posted:

Anyone have a recommendation of a place online to get a Tess a warm coat for this winter? It's still 90 here in Tucson, but last year the nights got a little too cold for her.

Got my guy's coat from http://www.coats4greys.com

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

These are really nice coats, but I find around this time of year they have trouble keeping up with demand. Worth checking out though. Blue Willow Dog Coats: http://www.bwdogcoats.com/order-form.html

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

I come to this thread to humbly request more pictures please. Thanks!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I submitted a new application to GPA-NOVA and got a message back saying we are approved, no new home visit needed (I thought they might want to do another one since we've done some remodeling). I listed our preferred adoption date as any time after March 1, since we have contractors coming in to do our kitchen and then a week-long cruise in January and February. After that our house should be nice and quiet with no extended absences of its people - a good time to work on acclimating a new pooch.

Countdown to ladyhound :3:

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

Fuzz Feets posted:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Fuzz Feets posted:

We took Mona to Boston earlier this year.

The hotel came with a pretty comfy dog bed.

But after we made her walk around all day, she couldn't quite make it to the bed after we fed her:

edit:
Bonus - waiting around on the streets of Boston while the wife was in a store:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Here's Sara.

Size reference, Patch is 71 lbs and she's about 23.

We got her a month or so ago. She's a whippet, probably about 4 years old, is cute as gently caress, and really loves her people.

We weren't sure if this would work out because Patch goes apeshit when he sees any other mammals out and about. He's lived with other dogs before with no problem but Sara is obviously a lot smaller than him and we thought he might see her as a convenient snack but he has been a perfect gentleman. She has eaten out of his bowl and laid on top of his legs and stepped on his ear and he's not said a word about it. They've even had a little bit of a cuddle :3: He does want to play with her sometimes, especially if she runs, but she's smart enough to either freeze or seek shelter

We've had Patch for 9 months and in that time he's watched 3 different dogs spend most of their time on furniture while he has been content to stay on the floor. Then, a few days ago, when he managed to get up on the couch by using his cot as a step stool*. He didn't look very comfortable up there and got back down after half an hour and then stayed on the floor. Until today when he got back up there without needing a boost and now he's hooked.

Up until now every dog we've had has either immediately gone for the furniture or spent their whole lives on the floor so this was a little unexpected. Welp, back to having loads of dog hair on the couches but if he's comfortable then that's all that really matters.

*He can easily just walk right up onto the couch like most greys but it apparently took him a while to figure that out.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

RazorBunny posted:

I submitted a new application to GPA-NOVA and got a message back saying we are approved, no new home visit needed (I thought they might want to do another one since we've done some remodeling). I listed our preferred adoption date as any time after March 1, since we have contractors coming in to do our kitchen and then a week-long cruise in January and February. After that our house should be nice and quiet with no extended absences of its people - a good time to work on acclimating a new pooch.

yay! very happy for you!

And as requested, pics of my two goobers

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

RazorBunny posted:

Oh my goodness I am excited for you and want all of the updates. :3:

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Greyhound thread activity!

Fuzz Feets posted:

Took this earlier. Just a dog being long.

RazorBunny posted:

My ladyhound is a little princess and I wouldn't have it any other way. :3:

Galler posted:

*He can easily just walk right up onto the couch like most greys but it apparently took him a while to figure that out.
You say that, but Casey can't figure the couch out at all. He puts his front paws up and doesn't know what to do after that. My girlfriend tried to coax him up yesterday, and it was just too complicated.

rhoga fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 26, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

That was Patch 10 hours ago and then something clicked and now getting on and off the couch is completely effortless.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

rhoga posted:

You say that, but Casey can't figure the couch out at all. He puts his front paws up and doesn't know what to do after that. My girlfriend tried to coax him up yesterday, and it was just too complicated.

We tried with Husker, and he would just stand on the couch looking upset until you let him hop down. We're hoping the new gal is more amenable, my husband really wants a couch cuddling buddy.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Yeah it took Adam 2-3 months to learn how to jump on/off stuff. I guess tracks must be pretty flat places. Before then I'd bust my rear end hauling him up into the car. Now he splits his time between his bed and mine.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Yeah it took Adam 2-3 months to learn how to jump on/off stuff. I guess tracks must be pretty flat places. Before then I'd bust my rear end hauling him up into the car. Now he splits his time between his bed and mine.

When I was researching greys before I got Mona, I read somewhere that a lot of tracks stack their crates, so some greys are used to jumping up, and some never have to. Not sure how true it is, but Mona didn't need any training to jump on stuff.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Along with that they supposedly put the females in the upper crates and the males in the lower crates so the females, in general, are better at jumping up/down than the males.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Judging from pictures posted recently, I have to assume that the problem with getting up is that greyhounds are actually just really big slugs.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

Galler posted:

Here's Sara.

Oh my gosh, she's super duper cute :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

SUPER HASSLER posted:

The car was fine, until the leg amputation made it difficult for him to do it on his own. We taught him "load up" as the command to jump into the car, and he didn't mind. But the couch was like some kind of dark magic he didn't trust, it was kind of hilarious.

My husband got him up on our bed one time and the look he gave was so pitiful, because he couldn't figure out how to jump back down...

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

This thread delivers!

RazorBunny - many congrats! Looking forward to updates.

Chainsaw McGee - that dog has some kind of flexible spine. Love the facial expression!

Gninjagnome - that is indeed a swank hotel bed. Mona is a long dog, I bet she had fun.

Galler - Sara looks great in her fleecy coat. She looked pretty big herself until I saw the pic with Patch. Glad to hear they are both on their way to being good dog buds.

Spoon Daddy - OMG the tongue! And the one ear sticking up. I d'awwww'ed out loud and had to show the husband.

Rhoga - dem feets with the long dog toes, I want to pat them.

Thank you all for sharing, hopefully after the holidays we can put in our own application for a greyt friend of our own. In the mean time keep em coming!

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

:buddy:

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Back story: a local rescue group puts dogs up in private kennels using donation/personal money when there isn't enough foster carers. My girlfriend and I walk the dogs in the nearby kennel housing 6 rescued dogs, including 3 greys at the moment.

Here's Elliot being a huge spaz:

Edited to resize image.

crowtribe fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 28, 2013

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Are you sure that's a whole dog and not just some legs?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Slightly odd question. We're looking at getting a dog (it'll be our first) and being apartment dwellers (but with good parks nearby), adopting a greyhound is on our list.
Once they settle in, would it be possible for my wife to take it with her to her pottery studio?. In other word, do they still get zoomies?.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
They do, but as long as you enforce the pottery studio as a No Zoomie Zone or take him/her there right after a good walk, it shouldn't be a problem. Most greys I've met (which is admittedly only a handful) don't seem to get too rambunctious indoors. It's mostly when they have a wide open outdoor space they like to zoom across.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Slightly odd question. We're looking at getting a dog (it'll be our first) and being apartment dwellers (but with good parks nearby), adopting a greyhound is on our list.
Once they settle in, would it be possible for my wife to take it with her to her pottery studio?. In other word, do they still get zoomies?.

You could make a little den area with those exercise pens and a big dog bed? That way the dog can't sneak out of sight and stick its tongue in a pottery wheel or something.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

crowtribe posted:

Back story: a local rescue group puts dogs up in private kennels using donation/personal money when there isn't enough foster carers. My girlfriend and I walk the dogs in the nearby kennel housing 6 rescued dogs, including 3 greys at the moment.

Here's Elliot being a huge spaz:

Edited to resize image.

It is fun to recognise dogs on Facebook from SA and vice versa. Hello WA goon. :3:

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Aw, hell!

Actually, this is the second time it's happened on SA, when someone found my name on another WA (Perth) based forum.

I meant to take photos of Reuben and Sarge when were there on Sunday, but I forgot. Elliot is currently being fostered, but Reuben and Sarge are fairly fresh off the track and still have a bit of adjustment time to go through. Reuben just doesn't grok treats at all.

We're walking again tomorrow, so I'll try to remember to take some more photos of awesomedogs.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Husband and I went to a GPA-NOVA meet and greet on Saturday. As expected the people and the hounds were friendly. Can't wait for the holidays to be over, so we can put in that application and start the process!

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona was hilarious at the baby shower we threw at our place this weekend. 20 or so adults, 7 kids under the age of 6 running around, and she just sprawled out in the middle of the living room and took a nap. I wish I took a picture, but I was too busy running around.

Meowenstein
Aug 5, 2013
I've been thinking about getting a dog, and hearing about how greyhounds are a good sized breed that do well in apartments is making me consider one. I'm also looking for a fishing companion and a general outdoor adventure buddy, though. My fishing trips are pretty lazy and mostly consist of sitting on the riverbank or lake shore enjoying the outdoors. I also live in Iowa so there's all kinds of weather here. Would a greyhound work well in this situation, or would a different breed be more suitable?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Meowenstein posted:

I've been thinking about getting a dog, and hearing about how greyhounds are a good sized breed that do well in apartments is making me consider one. I'm also looking for a fishing companion and a general outdoor adventure buddy, though. My fishing trips are pretty lazy and mostly consist of sitting on the riverbank or lake shore enjoying the outdoors. I also live in Iowa so there's all kinds of weather here. Would a greyhound work well in this situation, or would a different breed be more suitable?

Greys aren't the greatest hiking/outdoor adventure dogs, but I think it would be OK with what you're describing. We take Mona on short hikes (less than a mile) , and she's fine with it. Turns out she likes rivers, and will just sit and chill in the water. The most we've ever gotten her go is about 2 miles, and she was pretty beat afterwards.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Meowenstein posted:

It'll depend on the dog, I think. I've seen some greyhounds that enjoy sitting around doing nothing outside, but others won't lay down or they start whining and grumbling about it. Mine loved walks and would walk forever, but she didn't have any patience for standing/sitting around to no purpose. She'd lay out on the patio with me for a little while (only if it was sunny, but not too sunny, and I had to bring her duvet outside for her to lay on) but she did not like resting on the grass.

The thing to keep in mind about greyhounds is that they have no fat or fur really, so they're really sensitive to temperature, and also lying on anything hard is going to be uncomfortable to them. If it's really sunny and warm they're gonna get hot without shade, and if it's a little chilly they're gonna get cold if they're not moving around. You can get greyhound jackets which are good for walks once the weather turns, and might be enough insulation from the ground if they're laying on it when it's chilly out.

If you're sitting around outside with a greyhound, be careful they don't up and take off after a squirrel or something they spotted, 'cos that dog is gone. I've also seen some greyhounds that love the water and others that hate it.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Meowenstein posted:

Aside from what the others said, keep in mind that they have to be on leash at ALL TIMES when outside. They have poor recall and will just take off for no reason and never come back. The local rescue organization pretty frequently has to have massive search and fliering operations because someone's brother-in-law left a door open, and their dog just left. They aren't unhappy or trying to escape abuse, they just aren't smart enough to come back on their own. Along with everything else, this really makes me think of them as suburban indoor dogs, not hiking companions.

Also, our older one is slowing down, and doesn't really even seem to like his short walks any more. They are mostly lazy animals to begin with, and getting old has really underscored that for our Peter, so you might also want to consider that as you make your choice.

Meowenstein
Aug 5, 2013
Thank you for your replies. I won't be able to adopt a dog for good long while, so there's a long time to think about this. Not being able to let the dog off their leash while outside could be a bit awkward while fishing. My other activities outdoors are about as lazy as my fishing, though, so I don't think being too active would be an issue. Do you know of any other breeds that might work better in this situation? Either way, thanks for the advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Can anyone recommend some good booties that will stand up to snow/salt/cold? We have some of the plastic ones but they are a pain to get on, seem pretty uncomfortable for him, and even though they are the large breed size seem a little small. (It also doesn't help that he will bound into the deepest snow almost immediately).