Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've mentioned before how we accidentally taught Teedo to bring us trash as a side effect of teaching him "leave it"

Still going strong, still engaging in commerce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
gently caress cancer :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm so so sorry Radiation Cow, Gello was a treasure and I'll miss new photos and stories about her :(

If you want I'd love to hear your favorite stories. She looks like such a lovable goofball :love:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm dealing with this now with my other dog

I guess the point is: it's a natural part of life and it's okay to do some preemptive grieving, but don't let it get in the way of the time you have left.

When the feeling comes over you, acknowledge it, accept it, then let it go and focus on making a new good memory together (even if it's just snoozing in the same room).

That's what I've been doing with my aging pooch and while I'm still sad about her inevitable death it's not consuming my thoughts

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Some really good pups in here

This is not one of them:

(He made himself very cozy)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

Ok, last Gello post, promise! This thread has been so supportive and I'm really grateful for it. After this, only funny Boudicca stories!

Our vet offers a lovely service where instead of getting Gello's ashes in an urn, we received them in a planter with a baby spekboom. We buried her in the garden today, making sure to provide tons of pine bark for her to chew on in her final resting place. (She loving loved finding pieces of bark and munching on them while I worked in the garden). Boudicca even provided a bit of help with the digging!

We have plenty of fruits and vegetables in the garden and it's nice thinking that her atoms will leach into the soil and the plants and eventually be a part of us. Maybe a bit creepy saying it out loud but since I'm not religious this is as close as I'm going to get to ever reuniting with her. And now I have a bush to chat to as a bonus.

Please keep sharing Gello stories if you feel like it!

And that's a great little service

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Teedo was naughty and made a hole in the brand new bed throughthe brand new and very expensive sheets

He was immediately jailed for his crimes

Will Solicitor Katie come to his rescue? Will she answer his call to release him from his unjust imprisonment (so he can eat cat kibble and also turds)?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Solicitor Katie makes an impassioned defense (raises several valid points IMO)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNqeBOoXO9Y
*dashes off screen to beat the poo poo out of Mr Otter again*

Solicitor Katie could not be roused for further comments. Reliable sources claim she is not dead despite this crime-scene-rear end looking photo

Oh my god that's adorable

Thanks to the impassioned defense of Solicitor Katie and her sound legal reasoning, Teedo has won his freedom!

Sadly, he proved to be recidivist and promptly destroyed the overstuffed chair

Asked why he would commit a crime so soon after his hard-won release, his only comment was "...Commerce?"

Mr. Otter could not be reached for comment

(It's ok, that chair was on its last legs so we pulled out the stuffing pad and have been letting them have at it for a while. Enrichment!)

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 6, 2023

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

I thought I was ready to go over Gello's photos to sort them and get all nostalgic. This video, however, broke me. I never realised how much she looked to me - she really loved me. And considering her start in life, that's the highest honour possible. And I think a love like that was something very, very special.

https://i.imgur.com/TKbnxZn.mp4

:kimchi:

She absolutely was a special girl and you should feel good for having that influence on her

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

pastor of muppets posted:

Just got out of the MRI. It’s a tumor. Taking her home and will say our goodbyes.

Completely heartbroken.

I'm so sorry for you, I'm devastated to hear that :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
What a lovely story :kimchi:

I'm so sorry for your loss, Rory was a good dog

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
There's no "right" way to grieve, some people find the presence of a new dog comforting, some find it a betrayal to their memory. Just feel it out and give yourselves the grace to find what's right for you.

We've been having a lot of luck with Teedo's seizures. We upped his medication yet again, but this time it seems it actually worked. It went from 1-2 a week to every few weeks, we've been holding our breath wondering if it was a fluke but it seems to be holding (knock on his empty wooden seizure-probe head)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Brindle girls are my favorite, I'm so so sorry :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Oh my god :kimchi:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm so sorry skool, Josie was such a treasure :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I also forgot a pic

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

NomNomNom posted:

Except sometimes he doesn't stop in time and headbutts us.

It's fun playing chicken with hounds that either have no sense of depth perception or understanding of their velocity

TODD loves you and is thinking of you

... for a certain loose definition of "thinking"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

If I tease Katie with a toy she will lunge for it and do a bit of tug-of-war but that’s the closest she gets to playing “with” me. It just doesn’t seem to be a natural greyhound thing.

With other dogs she just wants to chase them and gets very, very annoyed if they don’t run (she starts barking right in their face with her hackles raised). There’s some people that watch her when I go to KY and their dogs have learned that she’s like 2X faster than them so playing chase isn’t fun for them, but Katie doesn’t care about their opinion. Quite bossy when she wants to be!

My favorite memory of Spartacus was the first time taking him to the dog park. Some of the other dog owners recognized a greyhound and oohed and ahhed as he sped over to the other dogs running around playing chase. He caught up to them right away and then just bounced along in what I recognized as an easy lope, but everyone else was impressed.

And then a swift dive-bombed the field, and he turned on the jets to chase it. The bird was probably loving with him but he ran himself ragged and almost caught it a few times, and everyone else was just like "holy poo poo" at how fast he really was when he was actually trying. Keeping up with a bird on the wing is no mean feat

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
One of my big "disappointments" with Teedo is that he's not interested in dog parks. We've taken him twice, and both times he just kind of stood awkwardly next to us for a few minutes before pointedly facing himself in front of the exit gate

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sad news everyone. Teedo had a really bad seizure last night and we think it's time we had him euthanized :( Sad details ahead so if you want to skip that stuff just jump to the asterisks.

He's ok now, but he had two big ones in quick succession. What's worse is that he's started running in the middle of them. Up until now he's usually fall over and just mimic running. Occasionally he'd hurt himself thrashing, but lately now he's been gaining his feet and running full tilt until he hits something. Last night he slammed into a steel fence and a brick wall before I was able to stop him. He also splintered a toenail and smashed his nose so bad he was aspirating blood. He's over 90 pounds and strong and fast so there's no stopping him if he gets started.

We were hoping this was a fluke or a one-time thing, but it's happened three times in succession. While we can manage it if we're here by holding onto his collar, if he has a seizure while we're away who knows how badly he could hurt himself, and getting someone both willing and able to watch a seizing 90 lb. dog every time we want to go out is untenable.

He's been having these seizures about once a week ever since we got him. The longest he's gone has been three or four weeks I think, usually shortly after we upped his medication. Sadly it looks like he's reverted to the same pattern, and he's maxed out on the three medications we're giving him. There's not much room left for options.

My spouse and I spent a lot of last night crying about it. I was awake most of it because my heart ached at the idea of putting him down, worried I was giving up on him unfairly. The lovely thing is that otherwise he's a pretty happy and goofy dog, but we're at the point where the wounds from his previous seizures haven't healed in time for his next one. We've been content to clean up the blood and piss and spit and poo poo, but now that he's getting worse and at real risk of seriously hurting himself we don't know what else to do.

Anyway, sorry for the downer. We haven't scheduled anything yet but it'll probably be soon. We're going to try and give him a nice long week of special treatment and do it before he suffers another seizure.

Here's some stuff about Teedo that made him special

• he has a little spot on the end of his nose we like to joke is his power button, but it's broken
  • despite being a fawn coloration he's got piebald skin, he's got a white strip on his chest and belly and his haunches are black
  • his fur is the softest I've ever felt on a greyhound, it's like he still has his puppy fur
  • his back has a weird saddle depression in his back I haven't seen in any other hound, like it's recessed where his spine would be. I think the muscles in his back are overdeveloped from seizing
  • he loves ear rubbins, and will grumble happily when you get in there. We call it getting The Grumbles out
  • he is very reserved most of the time, but gets excited for walks. He will point his nose right at the crack in the door and focus intently on it while gently wagging his tail. "Ready to go! I. Am. Ready. To. Go."
  • he doesn't care for dog parks. Every time we take him he'll follow us for a bit, then when we stop he'll stand for a minute then just walk back over to the entrance gate and pointedly wait for us to leave
  • he never mastered lifting his leg to pee. Usually he'll just stretch and pee, but every now and then he'll half heartedly try. Most of the time on walks though he will sniff through the grass, walking until just after it runs out and then pee all over someone's driveway (and on his own feet)
  • Theres of course how he likes to exchange trash he finds on the floor for kibble, which we accidentally taught him while teaching "leave it".
  • He still loves to shred paper, ripping off tiny bites until it's all confetti
  • he also destroyed literally every piece of furniture we own. Pieces I'd had for 15 years and carried through four moves, destroyed in a month
  • he has a high pitched bark or yipe for when he wants to go outside, which is very handy because he doesn't seem to have long between when he notices he has to go and when he unloads on the floor. I've lost count of how often we've had to clean up pee and poop
  • thankfully it seems like he's a fast healer, he seems to clot fast and not tend to reopen wounds too often. He's still managed to paint the walls with his blood Jackson Pollack style though
  • he will lick the air and the table near food he wants, I guess in the hope some of it falls onto it? It's funny watching him just lick right next to something. I'm guessing he knows he's not supposed to steal it, but can't help himself
  • at night sometimes he will complain, barking and whining and yapping because he's uncomfortable, until he finally figured out he can change position himself. Usually it's because he wants to get on the couch but is too lazy to get up

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Do you know why he gets these seizures?

His seizures are idiopathic, that is the vets haven't been able to identify a cause

AtomikKrab posted:

Has medication not helped?

Not to any appreciable effect. He takes a fistful of pills every morning and night, plus a few more just before bedtime, but his seizures have not gotten any less frequent or severe

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
He's spent most of today resting and recuperating from last night, which is typical after a seizure

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've loved sharing him with you guys. He is very much a TODD

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Another seizure today, and it was a long one. We've scheduled a home euthanasia for Friday.

Really thought we'd have longer with you buddy :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Thanks everyone, your condolences really do help. I'm glad we were able to share him with you.

If you have any ideas for fun or sentimental things to do we'd appreciate hearing them since we still have a little time. It's never enough, but it's something

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
He's gone.

Ear hat

TODD EAT A BURG :burger:

Rest easy, buddy. You were loved and will be missed. I hope we did right by you.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Playing with Sparty and Josie and Opal and Gello and the rest across the rainbow bridge 🌈

He was surprisingly restrained eating that burg; from your stories I figured he would have inhaled it

Yeah he's been a lot slower about eating lately, we had been considering doing a dental cleaning in case his teeth were hurting him but were afraid of the anesthesia. Looks like we were probably right, because he had a small seizure after injecting the sedative.

He's still an inveterate food thief though. We had a long walk today and I took him to a local coffee shop, and he was laser-focused on a muffin another customer had. He even did his little air-licking thing (which you see a little of in the burg video)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

This morning, Boudicca tried to chase a cat that then hid a storm drain. She got her paw stuck in the grating, panicked, and bit me while I was helping her get out. Luckily, she's got no teeth, and the cat escaped unharmed.

Thanks rear end in a top hat.

Oh no, that's so scary! :ohdear:

Teedo once fell off the bed during one of his seizures and trapped his leg between the mattress, headboard, and frame in such a way I was terrified he'd break his leg if I didn't extricate him before the next wave. I imagine it was much the same with Boudicca

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sparty caught two rabbits (one bigger than a loaf of bread!) several possums, and even a bird on the wing, but didn't kill any of them thankfully. They were just shell shocked. Even the bird.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
She's so cuuute! Loving the 80s leg warmers

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

Lana looks like a real sweetheart, gonna need more pics to be 100% sure though

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
What a sweet considerate girl!

david_a posted:

Lana is a cutie! :3:

You need to tell her how vertebrae work though because she missed that memo

She's either missing a few or has a few extra

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Awww Katie

Olive her so much

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
A friend of ours gave us an amazing tribute to Teedo :')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
God I love long dogs :kimchi: