Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Our rescue agency just placed our match. This is Jake, we pick him up on Friday. Which right now is less than two days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Can you guys help me out with a training issue with my slenderdog? We got him around 2 weeks ago and he seems to be adjusting really well. He was racing as late as February so he hasn’t had much time outside of track life yet. When we first got him, we tried crate training him but eventually gave up the crate and just kept him in the master bedroom with us on a dog bed, with the door shut. He learned early on that he could wake us up with a little whining and one of us would let him out into the backyard to blast a dookie. While I am grateful he doesn’t have accidents inside, he is a very early riser, sometimes around 5am. We have an extra-large dog door in the kitchen which he has mastered pretty well. If we are sitting around the house in the evening he will go out and use it as he needs and come back in. We now leave it open 24/7 and he has access to it at all times, even from the bedroom while we sleep. However, he still wakes me up in the mornings wanting out. He will literally stand near the fully open bedroom door and whine. I will then get up, walk with him to the kitchen and throw a treat through the dog door. He goes after the treat, realizes he is outside, then finds some grass to kill. How do I approach this aspect, to let him know that he can go there on his own like he normally does during the day and evening times? It seems to only happen in the morning because he got used to being locked in the room with us. Should I leave a trail of treats from the door to the kitchen and see what he does?

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
We Took Jake to the off leash park today. This park has separate sections for large and small dogs. The small dog section is 20 pounds and under. I took Jake into the big dog section and he ran around chasing tennis balls and smelling butts. He had a great time. I noticed when we walked in that one guy had a very small shih tzu mix with him. Probably still a puppy, had to be less than ten pounds, closer to five. The guy was sitting on a bench holding it, I thought it was odd that he would bring such a tiny dog into the big dog section but since he was holding it, it should be fine. While we weren't looking he let it loose and it wandered into the middle of the area. As you can probably guess, a small white fluffy animal in the open and a fresh-off-the-track unleashed greyhound can lead to disaster. Jake spotted it from halfway across the park, hit full gallop, and had the dog by the neck in a just a few seconds. He began rolling it on the ground in the same manner that he destroys his toys. The small dog's owner got there first and ripped Jake off of his dog. I leashed him, apologized and asked if his dog was hurt. The guy was upset and said "no, he had him by the neck!" I asked again to clarify, I wanted to see if he was actually injured. His response was "I guess we can't be in this area!". No poo poo Sherlock. I asked if he was bleeding and while he didn't respond, he was looking through the fur for injuries but luckily for me he turned out to be fine. I took Jake over to the watering area and three other dog owners, one a previous greyhound owner, commended us saying that the guy shouldn't have let his snack sized dog loose on in the big dog side. One lady said that if her dog had seen it, that would have been the end. Despite this we were still shook up seeing our dog almost kill another dog right in front of us. I'm thinking we could muzzle him next time but that could leave him defenseless if another dog attacks him.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Suspect Bucket posted:

Not your fault at all. Standard operating procedure for small dogs in the big dog park is ASK IF THE BIG DOGS ARE OKAY WITH IT. Some small dogs are terrors and need bigger dogs to bounce off of. Dude is an idiot if he didn't recognize an effing greyhound zipping around the park as a possible problem.

Yeah, we've only had Jake a few weeks and we haven't seen this yet so we weren't sure how to handle it. His last race was in February so he's still in race condition and anything resembling the lure is extremely interesting to him. The adoption agency usually rates their cat friendliness as A, B, or C. His just said "NO CATS". His prey drive is high and I'm starting to think the dude is lucky that half of his dog isn't in my dog's stomach. Why he didn't kill on the first bite is beyond me, just feeling lucky now.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Sharing some photos of Jake:

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Speaking of names, post funny nicknames you call your dog. Here's mine:

Slenderdog
Long dog
Stretch Dogstrong
Santa's little pooper
Needle nose
Crooked toes
The brown monster

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Have to show off Jake's new collar:

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Jake and I are watching Hounds on Netflix. He seems to recognize that there are greyhounds on this show. If I raise my hand to block his vision he lifts his head up to look around it then whines. He has never done this with any other show. It's not been that good of a show, but the occasional race scene or dog appearance seems to interest him quite a bit. I can't keep him away from the tv! The dogs are not inside of there silly!

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Jake recently graduated from the PetSmart basic obedience class. By some strange luck, the only other dog in our scheduled time was another greyhound. We were able to tailor the class to fit greyhounds specifically. Like most greyhounds, ours were not good at sitting so we omitted the sitting training. Instead we used a down command. The trainer also had a half greyhound half something else as her only dog so she knew at least a few of the quirks.

Photo dump incoming! Here's a closeup of his previously-broken toe.

He can actually hide his gigantic ears somehow.

A roast beef sandwich for his birthday.

Obligatory sleeping funny photos:

He also gets in our pool. But only on the first step, never deeper. And only on this end of the first step. And only facing this direction. Ever. Dog logic is weird.

And a handy anatomy guide:

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Tree Goat posted:

Happy Howlidays from our dog who is giving us a look like we personally betrayed him.

We have that same snood, but I can't find a photo right now. Jake disliked it, to say the least. This thread always needs more photos, so here you go!

Yes, that is the same toy in the last two photos. Very good dog indeed.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

spoon daddy posted:

Same for mine. Toys rarely last a week or two!

A week or two?! Jake destroys nearly all toys within minutes. On several occasions we have purchased toys for him at PetSmart. He rips out the squeakers and stuffing from them before we complete the 10 minute ride home. He gets bored of toys that don't squeak so toys have basically become treats to him, something to play with for a few minutes then its done. We got a couple of very heavy duty toys from our greyhound group that he hasn't been able to destroy, but with those he gets bored because he can't destroy it. It's a weird balance to find. Thankfully he is not destructive with anything that is not a toy (yet).

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Well it looks like we are done with trips to the dog park. We took him there on Saturday and let him run after a ball a few times. Jake is fine with general butt sniffing, but gets snappy when energetic dogs pounce on him. He had finished running so I leashed him up and led him to some water. A young pit bull approached us along with his owners right behind him. I would estimate the pit to be about 6 months old. We warned them right away that Jake does not like other dogs jumping on him, and that we are trying to just keep our distance and do our own thing. They laughed it off and said “oh well, he will just have to learn, haha!” referring to their own dog. Sort of a tough love mentality, but it backfired. Jake was already uneasy and growled a bit at the dog being in his face. A minute later the pit put his paws on Jake's neck and face in a playful manner. Jake instantly snapped and punctured the pit's nose, drawing blood. I couldn't pull him away fast enough. Luckily the pit didn't want to fight, and ran away screeching very loudly. However at this point a massive mixed breed dog and a pack of other dogs chased the screeching pit and began a group attack on him. Apparently the screeching made them opportunistic, I don't know. It took two guys to hold down the big dog and free the pit, and the whole park was kind of in shock. We checked with the pit’s owners and saw the blood running down his snout as they pulled out of the parking lot. They didn't seem angry at us as the pack did most of the damage, but Jake started it.

We hate to deny him the chance to run, but we just can’t seem to get him to socialize with some dogs properly. He growls to let us know he's uneasy, but its a low growl that's hard to hear. If you're outside you might not notice, so it makes his snap attacks seem very sudden and unpredictable. We are thinking we will find a baseball field or something similar that is fenced in but not monitored very well, and just bend the rules and let him run. I just don't know what else to do.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

alucinor posted:

For starters, I'm afraid you need to muzzle him any time he's even POTENTIALLY going to be around other dogs, since this is his second incident. At least until you find a better solution.

I know you were concerned about him being defenseless if another dog attacks him, but either he "wins" like he did these two and you feel terrible about him tearing up someone's dog (or worse), or he "loses" and gets a few wounds before you can separate them, which the other guy is on the hook for. Maybe greys are different and they don't mind being the only one wearing a muzzle; maybe he'll start less poo poo with a muzzle on. Look at spoon daddy's pic, nearly every dog is muzzled; every grey gathering I've seen has been like that, even most meets between single dogs. Many of the owners I know who live in the more urban areas of town even muzzle on their daily leashed walks.

How busy is your dog park? Before you try a non-dog area, can you go at the crack of dawn on Sundays or whatever, if that's the only time it's empty enough that you don't have so many other dogs to contend with? That's when we take our reactive boy. We stay as close as possible to him, and leash up and head towards the door ASAP when we see someone coming in who doesn't look in control of their dog. It's a hell of a lot more work for us, but it's kept Ty from eating anyone so far.

Edit to fix grammar, mellow out.

It seems fairly busy, like you said depending on the time of day. We've gone at 10pm before and it was less busy for sure, but of course someone else had the same idea with their crazy dog that they didn't trust with a busy park. That one didn't get into it with Jake but did with the only other dog there besides Jake so we left.

I'm all for the muzzle and being watchful but our two biggest barriers have been that 1: he can't pick up the ball with it on (he's fairly good at fetch), and 2: when he has the muzzle on, he tends to freak out about it. He will rub on you with his snout and try to paw it off, so instead of having fun he's just freaking out about the muzzle. Eventually he chills out but it has been so long since he's had to wear one that he's gotten used to going without it.

We recently went to Arizona Adopt a Greyhound's annual picnic day where there I would say at least a hundred hounds present, if not more. If I had to guess I would say that I saw maybe 4 or 5 dogs with muzzles on. I assume it's just not as common here. That whole event he was just fine, he didn't growl even once and made lots of physical contact with other hounds that was not aggressive at all. It goes to show the preference they have for their own breed.

I think if we decide to go back to the dog park we will have to use a combo punch of all your suggestions. Going at off hours with a muzzle and being very watchful, not waiting for an out of control dog to approach us instead leaving at the first sign of trouble. That has been our issue too, we feel that owners should control their dogs and it sucks that we would have to leave just because someone is too lazy to watch or train their batshit insane dog. We have as much right to be there and anyone else. But for the safety of our own dog its for the best to walk away.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
We tried to crate Jake when we first got him. We got the biggest crate that Petco carries and he still couldn't quite stand all the way up in it. He's a few inches taller than most greyhounds. The first week it was ok, he would chase a treat into the crate and eventually lay down. After a while he started resisting more and more, eventually getting to the point where we had to physically force him in and he really disliked it. Out of curiosity I set up a remote camera to watch his reaction when we left him a lone in the crate. He cried, whimpered, barked, etc for a long time. It was so pathetic. We decided to just try locking him in the bedroom. This of course led to accidents on the carpet so that didn't work. We gave him free roam of the house so his accidents were at least on tile instead of carpet, and he seemed a lot more at ease with us leaving for work like this. I was able to come home at lunch each day so the gaps between outings were never more than 4 hours. Shortly after he decided that the dog door was actually not going to murder him and that he could use it to go outside. Magically he stopped having accidents, it's really great. It is a little sketchy leaving a huge dog door open all of the time, as a human could fit through it, but it's worked out so far, and our backyard is fairly secure, at least for him.

We also pushed him into the pool a couple of times just to make sure he wouldn't sink the bottom like some giant idiot. He freaks out about it but on both attempts he immediately got to the side and climbed out successfully. This method was actually recommended to us by our greyhound adoption people. So we don't have to worry about him accidentally falling in when we are not home. Now we are huge pushovers and this dog gets on all of the furniture including our bed. But he seems very happy now to have his roam of the place.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Here's my hound barking like an idiot. Sorry for the vertical camera. http://youtu.be/vZpSwKQdhC0

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
We joined a group of greyhound owners this morning for an all-muzzled off leash play date thing in a closed baseball field. Everything went smoothly. Way better than freaking out about random aggressive breeds or tiny rabbit looking dogs showing up at a dog park. My wife has photos on her good camera, I will get some posted once she gets them out of raw format.

We explained Jake's snarkiness with other dogs to another owner. She questioned whether he was better with females vs males, since hers pulls the same attitude but only with males. I hadn't ever given it much thought before. Thinking about it, long ago we brought Jake to a friend's house, they have a small white mutt, possibly terrier and shi tzu, and he let her literally crawl on top of him and go to sleep while he was laying down. I think she may be right!

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Have you ever seen a greyhound on a greyhound (bus)? Jake got to ride this bus over the weekend. We walked to the very back where he jumped up on the seats like he owned them.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Jake just passed his first test to become a therapy dog. My wife is going to take him to nursing homes. :toot:

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Fuzz Feets posted:

Wow good job Jake (and Drunk Beekeeper/ Mrs. Beekeeper). What kinds of testing did he have to do?

It was pretty easy. The dog has to be up to date on immunizations. They check for basic demeanor toward people and other dogs, ability to obey basic commands, and reaction to loud noises or clatter. They also asked us to have him lay down and have us walk away to see if he can stay where we put him. He kind of fudged that one but we don't think it will be an issue as we don't plan to do that, ever. We do have to pay in $50 for liability insurance per year. But other than that he's back to being "employed".

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

pastor of muppets posted:

That's awesome! Do you have to coordinate with the nursing homes as to when you go in, or can you just show up whenever you want?

You have to coordinate because some homes have different requirements. For example, some places will not allow dogs that are on a raw diet, while others don't care. So you just have to make sure the requirements and the timing work out.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
https://youtu.be/3_AFu6iFs0s

Why does my dog keep doing this? It doesn't damage anything but I do have to clean it every so often now...

Drunk Beekeeper fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 13, 2015

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Jake working so hard to get comfortable:

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Reading your guys' posts makes me realize just how lucky I am to have a dog door for Jake.

Jake's former kennel owner from the track keeps popping up in my Facebook "People you may know" feed. His profile photo is of him holding Jake. I gotta say it's a weird feeling seeing your dog in someone else's photo!

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
I need some positive encouragement. We took Jake to the dog park tonight. We've been going later at night when no one is there, to avoid any issues with other dogs. We use a light up ball and generally the situation works really well. Tonight he managed to run into a bench and fractured his femur. He was screaming in pain and bled all over the car. My wife is beside herself. He's hospitalized right now and they are talking major surgery or possibly amputation in the morning. I just really hope he can keep his leg.:smith:

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

slap me silly posted:

Aw man :( Poor guy. How did it go this morning?

The surgeon is backed up, but we've been told they can operate on him tomorrow morning. Still no official surgery time or even a discussion with the surgeon, although we heard that he reviewed Jake's x-rays and decided that repair is doable, no significant need for amputation. We heard this secondhand from the staff though. So now he's been sitting on his broken leg for 24 hours. He kept trying to stand up to look around, which would cause him extreme pain and the scream of death. The staff decided to sedate him to the point where he can't stand up, and put a catheter in so he doesn't have to go outside. We're pretty frustrated with not having a surgery today. We called around to other vets to see if anyone could get him in, but every one we called said they couldn't do it until tomorrow. It would put him in pain to relocate him so we're just waiting it out until his surgeon can get to him.

I apologize if these photos are NMS, I'm not really sure how to tag them on mobile.

Current status:

The wound when it happened:

The bloody mess in the back of my wife's car:

The hardest moment for me was when they tried to weigh him during check in. He couldn't stand, he kept falling to his butt, and blood was dripping everywhere. I hate seeing my dog like that. There have been a lot of tears here at home today despite his positive prognosis. The house just feels empty without him and we know he's not feeling great, even though the pain is controlled.

Jake is always super affectionate toward people. He runs up to people and leans on them, asking for pets. Like he really gets excited about it and if the person encourages it, he will drat near knock them over just to get some love. It pains me to see such a friendly dog in this state. Hug your hounds for me today. Hoping for better news tomorrow.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Jake is out of surgery! They said he did well. One leg will be slightly shorter than the other, but not noticeable. They put in rods and plates and screws, he's a regular hardware store now. Hoping to see him tonight and possibly take him home tomorrow. He will have to be crated while he heals so he doesn't jump on furniture etc, which could injure him. The recovery is going to suck since he loves having the freedom of roaming the house and back yard. I will post post-op X-rays when we get them. Thanks all for the support. :unsmith:

Bonus (older) pic of his big stupid face:

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Jake has been home for a few hours now. Lots of whining, peed a couple times on the floor unfortunately. Lots of long, audible farts. Drinking water like a maniac. Post op X-ray is here:

Current status:

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Nice plate-rod fixation :thumbsup:

Just a word of warning: anesthesia can do funny things to their bowels, usually resulting in them not pooping for several days after surgery, but for Rory, it was the opposite: she had massive, blow-out rear end lava the day after her dental last summer. If he's already farting, well...speaking from experience, maybe keep him off of things that aren't machine washable. :)

Good to know. No blowouts yet. He's struggling to walk and stay upright. Not sure how much of that is the sedative vs the actual physical issues. My wife set up a pillow and blanket on the floor so she could lay next to him. He got up, stumbled over there, and took a huge bloody piss right on the pillow. He then flopped onto the pillow, coating his side in the piss. We moved him back to his bed and he was like dead weight. He does seem to at least want to get out to pee, which is good. We're using a lot of Nature's Miracle.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Those puppy pee pads that people use to teach their dog it's okay to pee in the house house break their dogs are great for post-op care, especially if he's already a fountain of pee. It's what we used in the hospital. You can carpet his kennel area with them and they make cleanup much, much easier than having to run a load of laundry every five minutes. The constantly peeing thing should taper off soon, though. He's probably loaded with IV fluids and like you said, probably pretty gorked from the drugs, so he's not getting his signals that he needs to go out yet.

Yeah we are using pads, they helped soak up the blood oozing from his incision. But he still manages to move them around and somehow pee between them. My wife just brought home a 100 pack of them, we are gonna coat the place with them :)

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

ghostgirl118 posted:

How is Jake feeling?

He is doing pretty well, thanks! He has cabin fever from restricted movement, so he whines for attention and entertainment, sometimes around 3am. He had some more X-rays last week and the vet has cleared him for light, short walks. We take him to a vet all the way across town who was a former vet at a greyhound track so we trust his judgement. His incision (around 10 inches) is nearly invisible at this point as his fur is growing back and it's healing nicely.

He's out of the crate completely and back to making GBS threads in the yard like a good dog. He went through a phase where he wouldn't get up or even move to pee, so it took a lot of constant cleanup. Went for his second walk today and got some looks from the neighbors, but I suppose he is limping pretty badly. Mrs. Beekeeper and I are very relieved that he is recovering so quickly. :)

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Any Arizona hound owners here? Or just Arizona goons thinking about getting a skinnydog? The track in Tucson is closing sometime before the end of the year. Local adoption groups are asking for help as they are already getting a lot more hounds than usual.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Lhet posted:

I had to stop giving Remy squeaky toys at home because he ends up deciding the best time to chew them is around 3AM. You could try 'tough' toys if you still want to let him have them. They don't necessarily work with persistent dogs, but Remy tends to give up after a minute or two.

Check these out: http://www.hear-doggy.com

We got some for Jake, it helps a lot when we're trying to sleep or watch a show. It's kind of amazing to squeeze the toy, hear nothing, and watch your dog's face perk up.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
In all honesty you should expect a little aggression from any dog with a bone. It goes back to their nature and has been ingrained in them since ancient times. Trading up when they have lesser value things (not bones) usually works and is a great way to train your dog. But when it comes to bones I just resign myself to the fact that it's extremely valuable to them and most aren't willing to give it up. I sometimes distract Jake and pull the bone when he's not looking, of course trading at the same time, but in general I don't mess with him until he walks away from it.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

rhoga posted:

Genovera and I are going to pick up this handsome guy from a rescue this evening.

I'm not going to get anything done at work. I'm just gonna be thinking about dog.

Ah I can see you got him from AAGI! I recognize that Petco and the person posing him :)

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Jake has a prescription for Xanax. He used to be ok with loud noises when we first got him, but over the years he has gotten more and more afraid. New Years was really bad, he was scared to even go anywhere afterward for at least 2 months. When we picked up his Rx last time the pharmacist at Walgreens gave him a couple treats :3:

Edit: by the way, the post about Dwight was in Phoenix where everyone ignores the laws around fireworks, and you have to watch you house because people will let Chinese lanterns go and burn down their neighbors houses. It’s like the driest place on earth out here but no one gives a poo poo.

Drunk Beekeeper fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 3, 2018

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Someone adopted this girl from AAGI back in June, but my wife found her on Craigslist this past weekend. AAGI has a unwritten policy where any supporters who find greyhounds for sale can pay whatever the owner is asking and they will take them back and reimburse you. She raced under Jo Jo’s Dancer and her last owner called her Achira. She doesn’t respond to either. We haven’t decided yet if she will actually go to AAGI or just stay with us. This wouldn’t be the first time we rescued a dog and took it to AAGI. My wife has been begging for a second dog for what seems like forever now so this may end up being her new home. She gets along well with Jake, and they are technically cousins separated by one generation. He still gets awkward boners around her though.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
We’re keeping her :) Time to come up with a name.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
We named her Barley. I know that earlier in this thread (years ago!) I talked about Jake not getting along all that well with other dogs and snapping occasionally. As he has aged he has definitely mellowed out. Our friends bring over a variety of dogs and he does fine with all of them now. Anyway, here’s a couple photos of Barley. She has white eyelashes!

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Barley is so regal, so graceful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
We took Jake and Barley to OHSO earlier this week. We we go there at least once or twice a month.

If you’re in the PHX area and you have dogs but don’t know about OHSO, check it out soon. It’s a small chain (4 locations) of brewery/distillery/restaurant. Extremely dog friendly, with treats at the door, they write your dog’s name on the water bowl, and no one bats an eye when your dog rests on the furniture. Dog amenities everywhere. Most locations have more patio space than interior space so expect lots of doggos to pet.

I think this photo of the waiter and our hounds says it all: