Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Fuzz Feets posted:

Well we finally did it, put in an application with GPA-NOVA. Or at least I think we did, I hit the button to submit but didn't get a confirmation. I sent an email to make sure they got it. I will be sad if they did not I spent like an hour and a half filling it out. So here we go, fingers crossed!

Various Cheeses, and word on your girl?

Yeah, the form doesn't automatically send a confirmation. I've mentioned it to the webmaster before, but it hasn't been fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Were the poops really hard? I've seen both Husker and my sister's Aussie cry when they had hard poops, because they were sensitive flowers who didn't like it when their butts hurt a little.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I think at Maximum Dog Bed we had six of the big Costco beds in our house - one in the kitchen, one in the dining room, one in the den, one in the basement, one in our bedroom, and a "floating" one we moved around if we needed to. Husker would just migrate from bed to bed as I went about my day. He always seemed to be snoozing, but if I left the room he would get up and follow me.

I feel like every greyhound I've met has been either very pro-blanket or very anti-blanket.

Once, when we were dogsitting a greyhound named Harley, we draped a blanket over Husker at bedtime (our room got cold at night), and Harley was like, "Hey, where's mine? Whine whine whine." So I draped a blanket over him too. I mentioned it to his owners when they came and got him and they were surprised - they had never tried putting a blanket on him.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

What is this dark magic?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

a travelling HEGEL posted:

My mother had one dog bed for her dog, then the cat took it, then she got another dog bed, then the other cat took it. The dog sleeps on a rug now.

Nibbler likes to sleep exactly in the middle of the biggest dog bed he can find. Fortunately Leela has a certain level of disdain for dog things, and prefers to sleep in a cat bed or on one of the high platforms of the cat tree. Or on my clean laundry.

I didn't manage to get a photo before they moved, but at one point I had three dog beds in a row in my living room. Husker was in one, Aslan the 4-month-old GSD puppy was in the next, and Nibbler was in the third.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Girl ran in a lot of races, wow.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I've had a collar picked out for months, but I want to wait for an accurate neck measurement before I order :ohdear:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

pastor of muppets posted:

Yeah, I almost didn't order one because of that, but truth be told I will probably end up ordering another one anyway because my husband was pretty ">:-{" about my choice.

Tell him to stop being a poo-face, from me.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

We tried to crate at night with Husker for the first week, but nobody in the house slept the whole time thanks to his crying so he got moved to a bed in our room and that was the end of any nighttime problems. We probably did daytime crating longer than we needed to, but he didn't seem to mind. The biggest thing for him was making sure he still had a "den" to go to - when he first came home the crate was familiar, so he hung out in there if he was feeling overwhelmed, but gradually he transitioned to one particular dog bed in a corner and we were able to take down the crate. If that bed had to be moved for any reason, though, he got very nervous.

I just got back to the US from a cruise and my kitchen remodel should be complete when we arrive home, so we are go for dog :) The rescue is looking at likely 2-year-old girls for us.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I can't wait for you to get a new dog! I hope Murphy can set aside her same-sex aggression for a little while so we can have a play date!

I don't think Murphy realizes greyhounds are dogs, or something, and there's definitely a size component to her same-sex aggressiveness - a dog that's significantly taller than her is fine, and so is a dog that's much shorter, but if they're close to the same size she gets weird. She's met and gotten along with female greys before, so I think it will be okay. Fingers crossed!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Is she relatively fresh from the track kennels? A little bit of resource guarding is pretty common in dogs recently off the track. Good management + time for them to relax in their new environment will usually ease those issues. I've known a few greyhounds who were a little resource guard-y at first, and all but one of them completely stopped after a few months of settling in at home. The one exception is very easily managed, his owners just have to be mindful.

Husker had a real thing for my knitting for the first few months, and if I tried to take it from him he'd get very tense. All it took was a bag of those super stinky Sniffers treats and he'd gladly give me just about anything in order to get one.

I don't want to anthropomorphize them too much, but I do think there's an element of uncertainty about "their belongings" in those first few months, and once they've adjusted to the new environment it goes away. I've seen dogs who went from growling at anybody who touched their bed to happily letting cats and kids snuggle with them.

actionjackson posted:

I had that issue with Abby initially. If she growled I would hold her muzzle and say "no."

This can be a good way to get a dog that doesn't warn you before it bites the poo poo out of you, by the way.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

It was always funny to have Husker and Murphy together, they were both sneaky thieves and would go back and forth taking stuff from each other.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I got an email from the rescue coordinator - they were delayed badly because of the weather around here, but they are aiming to bring a batch of dogs in from the rescue kennel at the track either the last weekend of March or the first weekend of April. There should be a ladyhound in that haul for me :razz:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

In addition to what everyone else has said, there are actually fenced dog beaches in some parts of the US. It's the same theory as dog parks, just a stretch of beach instead.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Today marks three weeks since we brought Rory home. My husband, who has taken three years of convincing to let me get a dog, has officially decided that greyhounds are The Best Dogs. It's so cute watching his face light up when he gets home and she's excited to see him. :3:

My husband was the same way. First he wasn't sure about getting a dog, then he wanted to stick with a small dog, then he wasn't sure about greyhounds, then a greyhound leaned on him at a meet and greet and he thought greyhounds might be okay, and now he's decided he never wants any other kind of dog.

How do your cats feel about Rory?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I need to get a new liner/pad for the cargo area of my SUV before the new pooch comes home. I had a nice egg crate foam one that we'd bought at Costco and cut down slightly to fit, but my sister's dog Browning fell in love with it while she was driving my car for a while and I feel bad taking it from him. They haven't had the foam beds the last few times I've been in to Costco, so I need to find one somewhere else that won't be outrageously expensive.

The foam is great for the cargo area because it's still pretty flat and not too squishy, so when I don't have the dog back there I can load groceries and such in the car.

Although, I suppose I could let her ride in the back seat...Husker had to ride in the very back because we got him before my son could drive, so we often had three people in the car and he just didn't fit in the back seat with a person.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I'd have to figure out the dimensions, clean up, etc. The nice thing about the foam dog bed was it had a zip-off cover for easy washing, and we were able to cut it down to fit and then fold the excess cover fabric under.

I have two regular squishy dog beds in the basement that I can bring up for lounging around the house on. When Husker died there were several relatively new beds in the house and my friends only took a couple off my hands. It's just for the car that I'm not sure what I want to do.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I just got an email this morning that they've made our match and are getting ready to set a pick-up date :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

a life less posted:

Yay! Know any details about her?

This is her profile on TrackInfo. We're supposed to get a picture soon.

This is her daddy, Kiowa Sweet Trey:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

a life less posted:

Wow. You can watch loads of races on there.

She's the smudge in the black/red here, I think!

Yeah, there are lots of videos. They won't work on my laptop, though - I can't get the Chrome extension to work :( My husband watched a few on his machine.

Fuzz Feets, did you also get an email from Angela?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fuzz Feets' pooch has him as a grandsire, too.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Got this picture from the rescue today:

:3:

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 26, 2014

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I like his little white toes :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

What's everybody feeding?

I'm probably going to go for one of the Merrick grain free formulas, although I haven't decided which protein. Husker ate Wellness CORE for a couple of years and I thought it was fine, but when I changed his food to try and keep his appetite up near the end I found that the Merrick reduced the frequency of the room-clearing farts. It was also a little bit cheaper. Of course each dog responds differently to foods, so we'll see.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Yay, Sunday is pick-up day! I foolishly volunteered to make the drive out to West Virginia early in the morning to pick up dogs, bye bye sleep.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fuzz Feets posted:

Can't wait for Sunday!

Razorbunny thanks in advance for driving the precious cargo all that way. We will be getting our orientation while you are driving. I imagine it would be tempting to drive off to Mexico and abscond with the pups but think of how much food four or five of them would eat!

Hey, no problem! I think I'm only shuttling two myself, although my car would probably hold 3-4 comfortably. So I can't steal too many.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Yeah, we're still working on stairs here. Fortunately ours are all short flights. She's also met one cat, and pretty much ignored him.

She's also pretty tuckered out.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Our rescue won't place a dog with a strong reaction like that to a house with cats, they're very careful. Of course they can't 100% know how the dog is going to react in every situation, but they do test them with a cat at the rescue kennel.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I wonder about that sometimes, especially when the kennel manager was describing how they put the cat on the dogs' backs and stuff to test them.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

We waited until she had explored the house a little and had flopped out before doing intros. Didn't bother with the muzzle, but I had her collar in hand and my husband was holding the cat - Vastra honestly couldn't have cared less.

She'll be crated when we're not home until we get to know her a little better. Our house has cat doors and other dog-proof escape routes, just in case.

The rescue coordinator said 55 lbs, we'll see what the vet's scale says in a week or so when I take her in for her first wellness visit.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

It's raining too hard to get photos/video, but there was romping going on earlier. Unfortunately the yard has turned to mud with the rainy weather, so there was also foot wiping that she didn't enjoy too much.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Apparently Vastra is too much of a princess to eat raw chicken. She took it to her bed and then forgot about it, and wouldn't take it from me when I offered it again. She was very interested in the goat cheese I was cutting up, but I'm not quite ready to deal with the epic farts that would likely cause.

We went on a nice long walk through the neighborhoods today and ignored some fence-running dogs, some guys doing construction, and a squirrel carrying an entire slice of bread. She has pretty good leash manners so far, I was pleased. And she's doing really well with our staircases, especially the outdoor one (which is kind of scary because it's wood and has an open back). All in all she seems to be adjusting nicely.

She likes to hang out in her crate a lot, although she's starting to chill on the other beds in the house as well.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Conversely, sometimes they injure themselves and don't even notice, and get frustrated when you make them stop playing so you can check out the blood streaming down the back of their leg :rolleyes:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Yeah, I think you got the dignified one of the batch Fuzz Feets. Today I was emptying out an old container garden and heaving shovelfuls of dirt over the railing of our deck, and Vastra was down below running through the showers of dirt having a grand old time. She was so dusty by the time I was done that I seriously considered taking the hose to her.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Ridiculous :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Lhet posted:

Roommates I don't think would be an issue. I've known them all for a very long time, and can't imagine anything wrong happening due to them. I'll also be taking the dog to work most of the time, so I wouldn't even really be delegating any duties to them. I definitely see the potential ferret issue though, will definitely need to take that into account. Anyways though, the dog that I had in mind (the main reason I started thinking about moving the schedule forward) got adopted by somebody else about an hour after I had posted that. She was amazingly sweet and friendly...oh well, I probably learned something. Still vaguely considering the option though, if I could somehow be certain the dog wouldn't cross paths with ferrets.

The ferret thing isn't necessarily a deal-breaker. You would just need to look for a greyhound with low prey drive. Rescues usually refer to these greyhounds as "small animal safe" or similar.

I don't know ferrets terribly well, but I have had rats and greyhounds simultaneously and it hasn't been an issue at all, even when the rats are out of the cage wandering around. They're not as free-roaming as a ferret would potentially be, but there have been plenty of opportunities for the dog to eat the rats if it so chose. Husker seemed to enjoy sniffing and watching the rats, but never had any prey reaction to them. Vastra won't even go near them anymore, since Scooter touched her nose with his paw and freaked her out, although her attitude may change over time. I certainly wouldn't leave her alone with a rat out of the cage, but I'm not worried about anything happening under normal circumstances.

Basically almost any situation is going to boil down to the specific dog. Some greyhounds do indeed have issues adjusting to a new schedule and get very stressed out, whereas others will adapt to a new routine in a few days and not be bothered. Some greyhounds want to chase and eat every small fuzzy thing that moves, whereas others will watch a squirrel run across a field with a slice of bread in its mouth without so much as batting an eye.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I really wanted to get Vastra a faux crocodile leather collar from Sexy Beast, but they only take PayPal payments and I swore off it a while back.

I still want to find a cute fancy collar for her, the one I grabbed from the bin at adoption day is a plain black nylon martingale. There's a big pet fair coming up next month near here, so I'll see what presents itself, and if not there's a ton of cute stuff on Etsy.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

This beast is eating my whole house, it's ridiculous. Never known a greyhound to be such a persistent chewer. I'm hoping it will be like Husker's brief obsession with plush - he realized he liked plush toys, and then suddenly everything soft was a dog toy. Maybe once she's gotten over the excitement of CHEWING ALL THE THINGS she'll stick to chewing appropriate items. She utterly destroyed my husband's cufflink box, of all things.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

My dog did this after dropping a really soft turd. He then tried to shake it off his paw and flung it directly at my crotch. That was an awkward walk home. He doesn't seem to have much interest in rodent murder at least. I can't even get him to play with his plushies. He does love to destroy random cardboard he fishes out of the recycling box though.

I gave Vastra a paper towel tube and she did a little dance and took it to her crate to shred it :3:

gninjagnome posted:

I started panicking last night when I woke up and Mona wasn't in her bed, and wasn't by the bedroom door wanting to be let out. Turns out, she decided the pile of close in my closet would make a nice place to sleep. Guess I need to tidy up.

My stepson used to leave piles of dirty clothes, or comforters he had tossed off the bed, or whatever in his room and Husker used to love to burrow in and snooze.

Speaking of killing things, Husker accidentally did in a baby bird at one point. It was fledging, and fluttering around, and he grabbed it playfully, and, well...he was very sad about it, and kept nudging it with his nose until we took it away. I genuinely don't think he realized he was going to harm it. I think it died instantly, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

"I'm perfectly comfortable, why do you ask?"