Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Trauma Tank posted:

So as I previously mentioned, I went to go and see the greyhound I want to adopt yesterday and he's still such a sweetie! I got a lot more information about him too. Apparently he's very drivey, when he first came to the shelter he had an incident where he got free of his handler and killed one of the feral cats nearby as he wasn't wearing a muzzle at the time, and they've stressed to me that I'll need to be very careful in that area. They expect me to get a greyhound muzzle for him before I pick him up to take him home, as well as having a lurcher collar of some sort on the day as well, which is all fine. On the positive side however, he's very food-motivated so I'm confident I can work with him to have him in the room with my birds in their cage without issues, given time and patience. I'm fine with having to lock him out of the room when birds are out if that's what it takes.

Apparently he was not treated very well as a racer, and was kept in some sort of stable setup. When he first came to the rescue he and his fellow rescued greys had a fair number of injuries which took some time to heal, and he's now been in there for almost two years. I'm surprised that no one else has wanted to take him home, as he is a lovely boy. Perhaps it's because he's just a that bit bigger than most greyhounds?

Anyway, here's pictures! Sorry for the strange sizes, I had to cut them out of two-second long videos my mum was taking as she didn't realise it was in video mode rather than picture mode.

Jet standing next to me. For reference I'm 6ft1in.

Giving me a look.

Gettin' pettin's.

While I was talking to the rescue girl about him he was leaning against both my legs getting pets in between giving feral cats the hard stare. I kept trying to turn him away from them but they had so many that there was almost always one in any direction.

This is just so funny to me, because I can not conceive of owning a dog that would *not* be hard staring at any prey item ever. Is it really so far from the mindset of the average dog owner to expect dogs to be prey driven that the rescue would expect the dog to have to be muzzled in public?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I don't really have a problem with muzzles I just think it's hilarious that prey drive is apparently Serious Business that requires Careful Management

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fake Ken Rockwell posted:

It's not like a pit bull, which despite it's breeding history probably hasn't been trained as a fighting dog,...
Also a regular dog won't have much chance of catching a cat or something.

lol

Sorry, basically I was sympathizing with the fact that people are dumb about dogs, I didn't realize greyhounds were special in being able to catch cats and that pit bulls needed to be trained to fight.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)