Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Long dogs! I'm having my home inspection soon with my local rescue so hopefully I'll be bringing one home at the beginning of September.

Does anyone have any experience with greyhounds and bloat? I keep hearing mixed things about raising/not raising food bowls to help prevent it, but which is it, or does it really make that much of a difference? Regardless, my practice offers laparoscopic gastropexy which I will probably just get done anyway to be on the safe side.

skoolmunkee posted:

Union is like my only friend in England and I just want her to have the best life she can. :( why does there gotta be cancer

I'm so sorry to hear this. Please let us know how the surgery goes. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

It's been over four years in the making, but I emailed the adoption coordinator with our local rescue and told her we are ready to adopt! We met a handsome ~70 lb male back in September that my husband insisted was "too big." :rolleyes: So I told the rescue we wanted a small female. They only have males in foster right now so we'll have t wait for at least a month until the next dog haul. But! I've waited this long already, so what's one more month?

So excited I could pee. :neckbeard:

Edit: Just got an email from the rescue. Their next haul will be in February, so our dog will be coming up then!

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 29, 2013

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I really hope his name is Voodoo.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Guys...I'm getting a dog. NEXT WEEKEND. :stare:

Her name is Atascocita Venus. I usually try not to name pets before I actually own them, but I had really wanted to name a dog Freya and it seems fitting that she's already named after another goddess of love!

lol look at her big jackass ears :3:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

She's only 55 pounds oddly enough. She must have some crazy proportions in real life.

Right now she's in the custody of the Sunburst Project, which is an intermediary kennel for dogs straight off the track. According to her profile on the greyhound data site, her last race was in June, so she hasn't raced in a while it seems.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 1, 2014

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Seriously. 154 races, 20 wins, 36 second places. The most any of her litter mates ran were 63. :psyduck:

Speaking of greys, there were two in the ER yesterday who had gotten into a bottle of Motrin and were on an ibuprofen toxicity watch. The little female was the sweetest thing. I was talking to her through the kennel door and she would roll over on the side for a belly rub. I deeply regret being too busy at the time to stop and oblige her. :3:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 1, 2014

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

No dog tomorrow. The hauler the rescue uses is stuck in Kansas because of a snowstorm and won't make it to Florida to pick up the dogs in time. D-Day is rescheduled for the 15th.

I've been waiting almost four years, but this next week might kill me! :emo:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Truthfully, next weekend is probably better anyway since I have off for four days. Much better for getting a new dog acclimated.

Crossposting these pictures from my TFLC log: Layla keeping the dog bed warm in the mean time.

In true catte fashion, she prefers the box it came in.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

:lol:

No dog this weekend. :( The snow has ONCE AGAIN delayed the hauler so it's been rescheduled for the 22nd. I was kind of expecting this to happen again but I'm still really disappointed.

e: The more I think about it, it's probably better if the snow has all melted when she gets here anyway. These dogs are coming from Florida and have probably never even seen snow before, so that's one more "newness" factor to cut out. Still...:sigh:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 14, 2014

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

ugh I can't stop looking at martingale collars

i bought this one :ssh:

T-minus 6 days!

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 19, 2014

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I almost didn't order one because of that, but truth be told I will probably end up ordering another one anyway because my husband was pretty ">:-{" about my choice.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

DenialTwist posted:

I need to know where all of these collars are from (especially the teal one)...for you know...:science:

I went back and made all the images links to their Etsy pages (like I prob should have in the first place. :doh:)

Here's a couple more I gave thought to buying as well. (And probably will at some point. I smell a serious problem coming on...)

Only a real crazy cat lady matches her dog collar to her cat. :colbert:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Dog didn't work out. :(

The dog haul was this morning, and even though she apparently tested cat tolerant at the kennel in Florida, she immediately lunged for them when she met them. Even after the cats ran upstairs, she stared up the stairs waiting for them to reappear. I called our contact at the rescue and she and the president of the rescue came out immediately. They agreed it was safest to remove her.

They happen to have another male come up in this haul who is going to a foster home who also tested cat tolerant, so they brought him along to see if we were interested. He completely ignored our cats. He is also HUGE, and we definitely prefer a small female.

They apologized profusely that it didn't work out, but they said if we liked the male then he was ours, otherwise, they are working on bringing up a smaller haul from another kennel as early as next week and can see if they have a match for us.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah. The size thing isn't that big of an issue with me -my only real hard and fast requirement is cat tolerance- but my husband doesn't think anything bigger than about 60 pounds is manageable, and I have to take into consideration how he feels since he does live here, too. His feelings might change if/when the time comes for our second grey, but I can't count on that right now.

I told the rescue we are choosing not to take the big male. They said that they completely understand and they want everyone to be happy and for our cats to be safe since they were here first after all. They also expressed irritation with the kennel in Florida for not properly cat testing this dog; they said there was no way in any scenario she would have passed a cat tolerance test based on how she acted at our home. Our adoption counselor said that she had a really hard time even loading her back in the car because she desperately wanted to get back into the house because she knew that's where the cats were.

It really sucks and it's heartbreaking, because she was a really sweet dog otherwise. As soon as she met my husband, she ran straight into his arms wagging her tail. :(

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 23, 2014

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

So this happened last night.

The rescue emailed me the other morning and said that one of the other dogs from Saturday's haul was being returned. The adopter just got out of a relationship and lost his other dog and decided he wasn't ready for another dog yet. She happened to fit my criteria, so I took her!

Her name is Kiowa Ten Aurora and she's just a baby. Her whelp date is May 2012 and it looks like she never raced. The rescue speculated that she may have run in a handful of maiden races that weren't reported but didn't do well so she never ran official races.

She's a sweetheart and there's been no problems with the cats so far. Last night was pretty rough, however; since we brought her home in the evening, we didn't really get much of a chance to introduce her to the crate, so turning in for bed went about as well as you'd think. She cried on and off all night long. Since we are both off today, I'm working on starting from square one with crate training, but I'm very nervous about going back to work tomorrow....:ohdear:

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Adam ran in 177 :colbert: winning 20 and placing in 34. And yet did no breeding, I dunno.

Kiowa Sweet Trey offspring supremacy 4 evarrrr.

Our dogs have the same sire! :respek:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Well I have the privilege of being in the bottom 1% of his offspring :downs:

24 hours in and things are going swimmingly, other than the crate thing. She loves everything and everyone so far, but we did have a :catstare: moment when the mailman put the mail through the slot.

My husband is very quickly becoming a complete sucker for this dog.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, we figured out pretty quickly that crating at night wasn't gonna work. Last night she slept next to my side of the bed and slept right through until 630 this morning. :)

I was worried about going back to work today and having to crate her, but I set up a webcam to check up on her. She was noisy for about half an hour after I left and has just been sleeping ever since.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

wyoming posted:

Aw, this thread makes me smile. I actually just had to put my greyhound down yesterday. He was just a few weeks shy of being thirteen, so he lived a long and good life.

This was North:

Best dog I ever had.

Pretty sure my next dog will be a greyhound as well, they're just too goofy and sweet. :3:

What a handsome fellow! Good boy, North. :3:

It's pretty amazing how quickly our girl is adjusting. Day two I basically had to make her go into her crate. Day three she napped in it on and off on her own, as long as we were in the room. This morning, we're going about our business in other rooms and she chose to hang out in her crate by herself.

Housebreaking has been a breeze. We've had no accidents in the house so far (knock on wood.) The only issue so far has been a minor case of treat/food aggression, but I'm sure part of that is nervousness and we can work through that in time.

Today we made progress on the stairs! With a lot of whining and pacing back and forth, she made it down the whole flight of stairs by herself!

RazorBunny posted:

I just got back to the US from a cruise and my kitchen remodel should be complete when we arrive home, so we are go for dog :) The rescue is looking at likely 2-year-old girls for us.

I can't wait for you to get a new dog! I hope Murphy can set aside her same-sex aggression for a little while so we can have a play date!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We had an incident the other day where Rory started showing some toy aggression.

She was chewing on a small cat toy and my husband tried taking it from her because he was afraid of her swallowing it. She growled and nipped at him. We were both a little stunned and said "No!" loudly at the same time and she froze. Before this, she has growled at me for trying to take a compressed rawhide bone from her. I've been working on teaching her the "Leave it!" command and haven't let her have any high-value toys/treats in the meantime, but is there anything else I can be doing to curb this?

It's odd, because she doesn't show any food aggression at all. I can reach my hand in her bowl, take it away, do whatever with no reaction other than a confused stare. I've been partly feeding her by hand from the bowl for her last couple of meals just to reinforce the idea in her that hands in her food= good thing. It seems to only be with small objects that she decides she wants.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Picked up "Mine!" on Amazon Prime, thank you!

Even though I feel like I prepared as much as possible for getting my first dog, I still have a lot of anxiety of "oh god what if I'm a bad owner what if I ruin rhis dog" :ohdear: I hope that feeling wears off...

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Even though I know it's realistic to expect a certain amount of baggage with any rescued dog, it's still reassuring to hear that I'm not the first person ever to have these sorts of issues. It would be nice to be able to fast forward through the newness phase and just be able to enjoy having my dog, but obviously that's not gonna happen.

So far her favorite treats have just been her plain old kibble, so that'll definitely come in handy in training.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Well luckily the "Leave it" is starting to stick. Yesterday she was carrying around a pair of sunglasses and today she picked a rotten carrot up off the floor and both times my husband said "Leave it!" and she did. :) Hopefully with some work and positive encouragement we can make it a consistent thing.

In digging around for more information, I found an interesting article about greys and resource guarding. It's very interesting and even mentions "Mine!" at the end as a good resource. I'm sure this is just new owner anxiety talking, but it is good to know that my new dog isn't broken. :)

quote:

When I was at the Wheeling adoption kennel picking Phoenix out to foster, I realized that one thing they do there might contribute to greyhounds and guarding behavior. Some greys in the adoption kennel are more toy motivated than others. Some will degut their stuffies. So, not every grey has a stuffed animal in their kennel. When the dogs are let out of their crates, it is very common for them to run around and look into each other’s kennels to see what is in there. I did witness more than one grey steal another’s toy and take it to their own crate. It was obvious to me that this could help guarding behavior develop. Do not get me wrong: I am not criticizing them, as it made sense not to give every dog a toy. But, it also made sense also that this environment could contribute to guarding behavior later in life.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Doulos posted:

So I'm married to this particular goonette, and we just brought our new hound home today!

And for the astute observer, yes, that collar does have all the Eeveelutions on it. We are nerds. But Tatianna's done great through this whole crazy day! A 4 hour car ride, a trip to the dog park to get some energy out, stairs (the struggle is real), and a new crate, but she looks quite happy! This is the best day! :3:

Ugh that collar...why didn't I see that one first??? To be fair though Rory prob wouldn't look good in the pink anyway....

I feel you on the stairs thing. We're two and a half weeks in and she still has a paralyzing fear of our stairs. We're working on going up a few more stairs every night so she's not overwhelmed.

Speaking of collars, is anyone interested in the Pikachu/Totoro collar I posted a few pages back? I bought it for the black female we were supposed to get that didn't end up working out, and it doesn't really look good on Rory. I asked Khelmar if it was okay to offer it up in this thread. I paid $25 for it on Etsy, but I'm just trying to give it away for free. I'm sure it will look better on someone else's hound than sitting in a drawer in my kitchen. It's a really well made 2-inch wide martingale collar, size M (fits a 13-17 inch neck). If anyone wants it, PM me!

In other news, Rory discovered Couch today.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 14, 2014

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Today marks three weeks since we brought Rory home. My husband, who has taken three years of convincing to let me get a dog, has officially decided that greyhounds are The Best Dogs. It's so cute watching his face light up when he gets home and she's excited to see him. :3:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Both cats pretty much ignore her 95% of the time. Sometimes she'll sniff at them; Rocky will sniff right back and Layla will hiss and smack her on the nose. I have high hopes that they'll all eventually be cuddle buddies, but I'll settle for mutual indifference, too.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

So I know it's just barely spring and we had an unusually cold winter here, but Rory doesn't seem to shed. Like, at all. Her coat is very soft and silky and since she didn't race for very long, it was in good condition pretty much right off the bat. When is high shedding season for greyhounds? Will I get a fursplosion later this summer?

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

This is her profile on TrackInfo. We're supposed to get a picture soon.

This is her daddy, Kiowa Sweet Trey:

Hey our dogs have the same dad!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Pretty high actually 'cuz he's fathered literally like 13000 pups. I have his son too.

Pretty much, but Razor Bunny and I also know each other through even more unusual circumstances that make it even more remarkable. :)

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Creepy. He died in 2009. My dog was born in 2012. I'm sure even when he was alive there was some serious AI going on, but drat.

Still pimpin' from beyond the grave. :ghost:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Fraction posted:

TY pastor :h:

Yay! I'm glad you like it!

I feed the dog and the two cats Avoderm. It allegedly cuts down on dander and supports healthy hair and skin. I don't really know if it makes more of a difference than any other good food, but it's fairly inexpensive for a premium brand and they all seem to like it. v:shobon:v

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

Yeah, we're still working on stairs here. Fortunately ours are all short flights. She's also met one cat, and pretty much ignored him.

She's also pretty tuckered out.

Yay! :3: How much does she weigh? She looks tiny in your FB photos.

As far as the cats are concerned, I did what the rescue told me, which was to introduce them with the muzzle on and holding the leash. Rory sniffed at them a little, but was way more interested in exploring the house. After a while, I let her off the leash but kept the muzzle on. Eventually, I took the muzzle away altogether once I felt confident she wasn't going to eat them.

I will always crate Rory when we're not here and I can't watch her around the cats, though. This is probably overkill, but I will never trust any dog alone with the cats. Also, I always make sure they have an "out;" for example, if I have the baby gates up, I make sure they're just high enough for the cats to slip underneath if they need to get away.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 7, 2014

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I had my first experience with the Greyhound Scream of Death a few days ago.

Rory was tearing rear end around the yard and all of a sudden she started screaming bloody murder and held up her left front leg. She laid down in the grass and wouldn't get up or stop whining. Of course because of what I do for a living my first reaction was "OH GOD SHE FRACTURED HER RADIUS/ULNA! :gonk:" I left her there for a second and ran inside to grab her muzzle so I could take a closer look and my phone so I could call my boss. I turned around to go out the back door...and she's just standing there waiting to be let back in the house. No marks on her leg, no lameness, no sign that anything happened. Just staring at me like I'm an idiot for forgetting to let her back inside. I guess she just stubbed a toe or stepped on a rock but you would have thought she was being tortured by the noises she was making. WTF dog. :confused:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I met a friend at the dog park last week. It was basically the first time Rory has ever really met any other (non-greyhound) dogs. I walked her around the outside of the fence at first just to get a feel for how comfortable she was. She kept looking at me, looking at the dogs, and wagging her tail, so I took her in (kept her leash on the whole time, though.)

She enjoyed it way more than I expected. She was actually pretty "meh" about most of the other dogs except for an old otterhound who she tried to be bffs with, but what she really enjoyed was meeting new people. :3:

DEAD DOG DO NOT EAT

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

It rained a lot this week and I discovered to my surprise that I actually adopted a retired racing Labrador Retriever.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I was just thinking about how easy it will be to keep her occupied this summer. Definitely investing in a kiddie pool!

On another note, am I the only weirdo who keeps their dog on a leash at the dog park? It"s a little over an acre of enclosed space, but owners there tend to not keep an eye on their dogs and fights break out all the time. Rory gets plenty of zoomie-time in our backyard, but I still like to take her there to have a chance to socialize. I also have the double paranoias of her being my first dog AND I work in veterinary medicine, so I see the worst case results of dog park scuffles. Also, being a greyhound her recall still isn't great and I don't really trust HER to retreat from a fight if she gets involved and I call her.

Anyway, after her "swim" today and her romp at the dog park I took her for a bath at a groom-your-own-pet bathhouse. She smells like green tea now. :3:

The cats still look disappointed every time I bring her back from an outing.

"You again?!" :saddowns:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Part of me feels like I need to just stop being a weenie and let her off on her own at the dog park. I was worried about some deep-seated prey drive kicking in, but she doesn't seem to have any weird triggers towards certain types of dogs so far. I usually meet a friend there, and she's noted that since her dog Maddie has started hanging around Rory, Maddie's manners towards other dogs have improved significantly!

Rory's ears stand up about half the time. It's adorable. They're very expressive. Even when she's sleeping, if she's on her side, they'll flop forward and stay like that. :3:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 2, 2014

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

There are some hilariously terrible awesome names out there.

Dj Sir Laughalot
Polish Unicorn
Jacksonville Gas
I Am Very Classy
Lebowski
Magic Tylenol
Chubbawubba Man
Fuzzys Excedrin

Rory's racing name is Kiowa Ten Aurora, which I already kind of liked. We shorted it to Rory, but her tags still say "Aurora 'Rory'."

I had originally wanted a male dog mostly so I could name him The Stig.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 6, 2014

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I've had Rory almost four months now and her resource guarding has diminished significantly. She'll still growl sometimes at the cats if one of them walks behind her while she's eating, but with us, if we tell her to "leave" something, she'll comply 95% of the time. Even when she doesn't right away, she'll gladly trade up for a treat or a heel of bread.

A week or so ago I was walking her around the fine arts museum near me (where I used to work in security, incidentally.) They have a beautiful sculpture garden that's open to the public 24/7 and people walk through with their dogs all the time. Rory and I were walking alongside the reflecting pool and all of a sudden she jumped in. :stare: She stood there up to her chest in water and refused to get out on her own so I eventually had to take my shoes off and go in after her! Talk about mortifying. I wondered if anyone I knoew was working the control room at the time and saw me on camera trying to fish my dumbass dog out of the water.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Another WTF DOG thing: Rory loves the lawnmower. She gets so excited if she hears it running. I've started locking her in the house now because I'm afraid she's going to get hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ofACGHGj0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Rory has had a big ole busy week. Last weekend my husband and I spent a few days at the beach and she stayed with my mom and her two pitbulls, and then our friends (who happen to be RazorBunny's sister and brother-in-law) stayed the night at our place with their two dogs, Murphy and Browning. It was the first time Rory had ever encountered other dogs in her own home, but luckily she handled it very well.

Murphy and Browning, however, completely ignored poor Rory when she desperately tried to get them to play with her. They were only interested in playing with her toys. She was like the kid that nobody actually likes but is the only one on the block with a Nintendo so everyone only hangs out to play with it. :saddowns: I think they were mostly tired from their long weekend at the beach so I'm hoping when we come up to visit them they'll be more social towards her.

On Friday evening, one of my coworkers came over to hang out and brought her dog, Sammie, who was much warmer to Rory than the Aussies were. Rory was great about sharing her toys and space with another dog.

Yesterday I met up with a friend and her two huskies at the dog park near her house. It's much farther away from me so I'd never been there before, but I'll probably start going there. They actually had grass, not woodchips like my normal one, AND they had kiddie pools and agility equipment! Rory had an absolute blast and went back and forth between playing chase with the huskies and making an rear end of herself in the pools. :3: I didn't think to take any pictures sadly, but I'm sure I'll get some next time.

This morning I noticed she wasn't really interested in her breakfast and is favoring her left front leg. I was pretty concerned, but it looks like it's just a soft tissue sprain in her shoulder from overexerting herself yesterday. I'm gonna make her take it easy this week and it if persists, maybe think about putting her on an anti-inflammitory and taking some x-rays. If it really progresses, I may have to do an MRI and possibly Shockwave therapy. :ohdear: