Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

There must be an epidemic because that has broken out in my household, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Don't really have anything new to say. Just gonna leave this here.

Edit: Also bought Rory a pool yesterday. I even added a squirt of dog shampoo to trick her into smelling nice. :ninja:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTHXVGnZZAo

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 8, 2014

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

If it were me, I would definitely get the help of a professional behaviorist. It seems like he's way past just minor resource guarding at this point. :(

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

From the comics megathread

Lol investigation cone :3:

Rory would do something similar to Abby in the early mornings for a little while. It wouldn't be, like, midnight, but she'd start whining and pacing an hour or so before her normal wake up time like she needed to go out, and then I'd let her out and all she would want to do is eat grass. After a week or so of this crap I brought her in and did an exam and a fecal float on her. Turns out she had hookworms. :barf: Totally my fault though for letting her Heartgard lapse for a month. After a round of Drontal and getting her back on the dewormer, it hasn't been a problem since.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 20, 2014

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Rory's eating has changed over the last month or so as well. Instead of scarfing her food down in half a minute, she eats a lot slower now. Many times even after I say, "Okay! Good girl!" after making her wait, she won't go for it right away. I chalk it up to her resource guarding towards the cats lessening over time. She's not as worried they're going to eat it if she doesn't inhale it right away, I think.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Rory met her sister Vastra this weekend! :D They look and act like the inverse versions of each other.

It is very hard to get two hounds to stand still next to each other long enough to get a decent picture....

...much less four.

A teeming miasma of dogge.

We are not sure if Rory is Bizarro Vastra or if Vastra is Bizarro Rory.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Oh man. We went through the same thing our first night with Rory. Crying and howling until 4 am when I gave up and slept on the couch next to her. The next night, we brought her into the bedroom with us. She didn't make a peep all night and it's been that way ever since.

Even if your neighbors aren't actually bothered by it, you're still being an excellent neighbor by at least acknowledging the situation and taking steps to correct it so good on you. :)

Today I took Rory to my local bathe-your-own-dog bathhouse and I saw the big male I almost adopted back before I got her with his new owners. :3: I didn't say anything at first, but I ended up in line at the register behind them. The husband saw Rory and asked if she was an Italian Greyhound. I said nope, standard issue grey. He was like, "holy crap, she's so much smaller than our guy! :stare:" I mentioned that I knew their dog and that he'd even been to my house, haha! We talked at length about learning to sit and whippy tails and stairs and such. It was a pretty cool coincidence running into them.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Real quick wanted to share this pic that is definitely not my husband, who didn't want a dig in the first place, cuddling with our dog, no sir., couldn't be him. He also definitely does not have tons of dog stories of Rory's daily activities while I'm gone for the day and he's working from home.

:3:

Tl,dr: get a greyhound

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Rory will sometimes initiate play with other dogs. She tends to prefer certain breeds, too; doberman pinschers are her favorite. There's a ginormous 120 pound-plus male that's owned by a member of the board of the local SPCA and any time he's there, she follows him around like a doofy schoolgirl with a crush.

I often meet a friend there with her equally-socially-awkward border collie-ish mix. She and Rory will occasionally get involved with other dogs playing, but mostly they just hang out on the periphery together like two dorky otaku girls in the school lunch room.

In other news, today is officially the beginning of Coat Season.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Definitely see a vet. It could very well be a soft tissue strain, but you need to see someone to rule out worse things. Rory came up with a forelimb lameness a couple of months ago that turned out to be a shoulder strain. All she needed was a week of rest and it hasn't been an issue since and Remy's symptoms sound very similar but IANAV soooo...

BTW, I can't believe that Halloween has come and gone without a single costumed greyhound in this thread! I dropped the ball completely myself!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I'm glad I'm not the only one who bundles their dog up at night. Her ears are just always so cold in the morning. :ohdear:

In other news, Rory ate a whole buffalo wing the other night and I made her barf it up with hydrogen peroxide which made her Very Sad.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 20, 2014

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it would pass or not. Luckily I work as a surgical assistant at a veterinary surgical practice, so I texted one of the doctors and she said "Eh, it would probably pass without obstruction, but I would go ahead and make her puke just in case. If it doesn't work or it blocks, text me back and I'll meet you at the hospital!" But within a minute of giving it to her she puked it up. She was pretty :saddowns: and a little urpy the rest of the night, but gladly scarfed down her breakfast the next morning.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Thank you! :D Had to fly the flag for skinnydogs everywhere. I had my donation prize go to Rory's rescue group because they were awesome.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Rory is very gentle with her toys. I still have the stuffed mastodon my mom bought for her before we even got her. She almost always manages to puncture the squeakers pretty quickly though and after that they become very boring.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Fuzz Feets posted:

P.S. This thread needs more dog pics.

There's a story with that last one. Ran into a girl at the dog park with a big brindle male who looked EXACTLY like Rory except 20 pounds bigger. She didn't notice us at first, but eventually she did a double take and was like "Oh my god, I thought that was my dog this whole time!" We talked for like an hour and joked that they were probably long lost siblings or something. Turns out they actually are cousins! They share a grandsire!

We both tried to get pics of them standing next to each other, but this was the best one between the two of us. Rory is in the foreground, that's the male, Cass in the very back, and then the two pits are dog park regulars who had to get in on it.:3:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Fuzz Feets posted:

I love the one with the kitty in it too! Do they hang out together a lot?

Sadly, no. All three of them (the grey and the two cats) pretend each other don't exist 99% of the time, except in our bed like this.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

There are times when they almost play together. Rocky, the grey cat, especially likes to sit on the coffee table and smack Rory's rear end as she walks by in a playful way, and then rub his face on things when she turns around. There's usually a few moments of bowing and tail wagging and then it peters out because they don't understand each other's body language.

Old topic, but RE: Crates

I almost always crate Rory when we're gone, and she's good for a full work day like this. I personally feel better knowing she's crated because of the cats, and because she's big enough that she can easily set off the security system if given free roam. Occasionally, if I'm running up to the store or doing something else where I won't be gone long, I've left her out of the crate, but she always seems more anxious than if she's crated. In fact, she knows the routine so well that as soon as she comes inside from pooping in the morning she goes straight to her crate without being asked.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

One year ago yesterday we brought home Rory.

Today I brought her some dried chicken tender treats and a quail stuffie to celebrate.

A few weeks ago, I brought her to a local general practice for her vaccinations since mine doesn't offer them for some dumb reason. This is her official photo in their medical record.

:downs:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Here's my hound reacting to the sound of your hound barking like an idiot:

:ohdear:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Fuzz Feets posted:

As promised:

Seeing a greyhound get a burger will never not be awesome.

Tree Goat posted:

We took ours to the vet during a thunderstorm, which is like the absolute opposite of giving him a burger.

Rory loves the lawnmower, comes running into the room whenever I drop and shatter a dish, sleeps like a rock through violent thunder storms, and thinks the siren of our security system is like the funnest thing in the world, but for some reason, the sound of fireworks from the baseball stadium a mile and a half down the road send her crawling under our bed. :psyduck:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 10, 2015

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

The Flying Squirrels. Even the name is just so mocking. :arghfist:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Sorry for the double post! Photo dump incoming!

At my mom's house for Easter, we had five dogs between myself, my mom and my sister. Getting a group shot was challenging.

One of my opposite pets:

And one of me and my retired racing Labrador at the river this past weekend. I really am gonna have to get her a life jacket this summer because she loved it.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

That's awesome! Do you have to coordinate with the nursing homes as to when you go in, or can you just show up whenever you want?

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Yesterday was Rory's third birthday! :toot:

To torture her celebrate, I took her to a local canine swimming facility. Since my clinic refers lots of our patients to them for physical therapy, they were offering free intro lessons to staff members! All of the dogs that use their facility are required to take this intro class where they teach them how to use the ramp and get them used to swimming. Rory loves water, but she had never been in water where she couldn't touch the ground until today.

She was pretty :ohdear: about using the ramp at first, but I was pretty surprised at how strong of a swimmer she was. I expected with her massive chest and little cloven hoof feet that she'd be not so great. The instructor also happens to be a friend of a friend, and he said that she was the first greyhound they had ever had, at least since he had been working there. Towards the end, she had definitely warmed up to it a bit more and was prancing around the pool deck wagging her tail. :3: Now that she's had the intro class, she can come back and do either assisted swims like she had today or unassisted where she's given free reign of the pool. I think she'll need a couple more assisted swims before she's confident enough to go unassisted.

Have a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFLHVeeJKvQ

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Mine does this too, although we have hardwood and only a handful of area rugs. I always wrote it off because dogs.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Faith No More shared these hella rad tour posters by an Argentinian artist on their Facebook page today. I want them a lot.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Is this the one you've posted videos of in the past? They are both rad, indeed. :hellyeah:

I would love to do stuff like that with my dog but considering she can barely handle the stairs in my house, i think her having the coordination to do agility and the like is kind of out of the question.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

A friend of mine is a professional illustrator and featured a robotic dog in a recent commission, so he based it off of Rory!

:awesomelon: ROR-E 9000 :awesomelon:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

skoolmunkee posted:

So many Good Dogs in this thread! :3:

Union has been gone over 2 years now, but my friend knows I still miss her. For Christmas he and his gf gave me a little digital photo keychain that he had preloaded with all the photos of union he could find. I was super touched and stood there for like a minute watching the slideshow go by and babbling about what a good girl she is.

Ghostgirl, that is pretty awful, I'm sorry... That is how I lost Union. She made it through the amputation surgery but later that day she just faded out. 5 minutes before that they'd called me to come get her and take her to the e-vet for overnight monitoring, so it was pretty unexpected by them too. The vet said in 20 years that was only the third time they'd lost an animal during/after surgery. It may be relevant that she was about 11, and had a heart murmur for some time, so surgery was more risky than for a younger or more healthy grey.

I'm pretty sure Husker would be a success story for you to look at, I can't remember which poster owned him- they're in this thread somewhere. iirc Husker had a leg amputated and was back to being a doofus in no time. Eventually cancer got him but that was years later.

I've been told that osteosarcoma is an issue for greyhounds, so there should be lots of stories or advice out there. I just decided based on my dog and her situation, and the info the vet was explaining.

Good luck! (And give that dog a burger)

Paging RazorBunny to this thread! :)

Skoolmunkee, I loved reading stories about and seeing pictures of Union in this thread long before I was able to get my own hound. My favorite was about how the first time she barked, she scared herself so bad that she ran away. :laugh:

Ghostgirl, I'm so sorry to hear about your girl. While I don't have any personal experience with osteosarcoma (yet), I have worked for a veterinary surgical referral practice for four years. I guess the only real piece of advice I can give is, don't be scared off at the idea of amputation. You'll be surprised at how quickly dogs can adjust to having only three legs. It'll be an adjustment for sure, lots of sling support and taking it slow for a couple of weeks (especially if it's a forelimb), but I've seen more than a few dogs who are so relieved not for be bogged down by a hurty leg zoom out the front door the day after surgery.

Somewhat anecdotally, the VP of the rescue that I adopted Rory from just recently lost one of her hounds to osteosarc (her second or third that has had it, I believe.) While it's a pretty significant financial/physical/emotional ordeal, it does go to show that it can be worth it from a quality of life perspective. After amputation and a full course of chemo topped off with a brush with lymphoma near the end, her dog lived almost two years after her initial diagnosis. Granted, that is an unusually long time, but even if she had only lived through the first six months, for her, it still would have been quality time.

Here is a picture of her, 3 months post op amputation and in the midst of chemo, running at the annual picnic, not letting cancer slow her down in the least bit.

I'm always very paranoid about bone tumors in Rory, and get pretty :catstare: at the sign of even the slightest limp. She has an old rotater cuff injury that flares up every once in a long while that the surgeons have looked at over and over again, and luckily, they're just as wary of cancer as I am, but even they think I overreact sometimes about it. I can't say what decision I would make if faced with it tomorrow, but whether you decide to opt for palliative care, amputation and chemo, or even just amputation, you'll be doing the best you can for her in the end. :sympathy:

edit: Some recent Rory pics:

We went on vacation last week and I cried a stupid amount about leaving Rory behind with my family because it was the longest we've ever been away from her, but luckily my fam obliged my craziness and supplied me with a steady stream of pictures.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 31, 2015

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

It's really amazing how quickly they snoot their way into your life. :3: Even my husband went from "No, we are not getting a dog, I don't like dogs, no way" to "well okay, but only because you really want one, but it's gonna suck" to, well...this

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Greyhounds are pretty healthy on the whole, and you typically see the same handful of issues pop up across the board, which makes it fairly easy to plan for/keep an eye out for: thyroid problems, bad teeth, and of course bone tumors are the big ones off the top of my head. You'll also almost NEVER see the kind of conformational orthopedic issues that plague most other large breeds, like hip dysplasia and stifle instability. No need to save up $8000 for bilateral TPLOs or total hip replacements. :)

That said, and as evidenced by many posters and their dogs in this thread, cancer is unfortunately a pretty common occurrence in them, and osteosarcoma (a particularly aggressive type of bone cancer) can be costly to treat, and almost always has a poor prognosis. It sucks, and we still aren't entirely sure why greyhounds in particular are so susceptible to it, but as evidenced by my earlier post, a cancer diagnosis isn't always a "game over" type situation. With treatment, a lot of dogs can have another year or so in relative comfort. It's also definitely not something exclusive to them, either; I've seen bone tumors like that in many, many breeds of dogs, including goldens. Another plus is that greyhounds are less likely to be morbidly obese and so they adjust a lot quicker to getting around on three legs (again, this is pretty anecdotal, based on my experience working in veterinary medicine.)

They can also be tricky under anesthesia, so it's always a good idea to ask questions about what the drug protocol will be and what kind of monitoring they'll have if they're going in for a procedure. Fortunately, most places use isoflurane or something similar nowadays for their anesthesia gas, so there's not as much of a concern about them having a bad reaction.

Of course, there can be situations like what happened to Union where an underlying issue can cause problems, too. I assisted on a case where a seven year old, otherwise healthy greyhound didn't make it through a tibia fracture repair. She did beautifully under anesthesia for the entire hour long repair, but as we were suturing up, the anesthetist noticed a problem and made adjustments to correct it. We were literally stapling her up and suddenly, she coded. It was all hands on deck and we tried for twenty minutes to get her back, but she was gone. :( It was devastating not only for the owners, but for us as well, even though there was nothing we could have done differently to prevent it. There's actually been research recently that suggest that greyhounds tend to throw blood clots quicker than other breeds, and if that happens, an embolism can happen and throw them into cardiac arrest, so that may be what happened in her case.

Sorry, this ended up way longer than I intended, but basically what I'm trying to get across is that yes, in general, greyhounds tend to be healthy , due in no small part to their athletic builds and more stringent breeding programs, but there are definitely some things to look out for.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I definitely know what that's like. I've had Persian cats and while I loved them, I'll never own another one. Too much heartache. :(

Edited to add that a huge plus about greyhounds is that the adoption community is HUGE and most groups are very supportive of their adopted out hounds for their whole lives. Mine has some pretty whack-a-doo ideas about dominance and "being the alpha," but they also have some incredible resources that they offer the community for greyhound health like free workshops and lifetime service plans for hounds they adopt out with known health problems.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 1, 2016

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

So glad to hear that! :) It really is amazing how quickly they bounce back from losing a limb.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah. My dog is on the younger side for a retired racer (3 1/2 years old now, was 1 1/2 when I got her) so she probably has more energy than many older retirees, but even she still sleeps like 18 hours a day. And I'll be honest, she doesn't even really get a long walk but every other day. Usually, I'm the one bugging her to wake up because I want to get out of the house and go for a walk. Having a fenced-in backyard helps, though. She's crated for 8-9 hours a day during the work week, then we get home and she gets out to go to the bathroom, eats her dinner, and then we throw the ball around the yard for ten minutes and she's always ready to come back in and go take a nap up in our bed. Sometimes I forget I even have a dog because she'll be upstairs sleeping for like four or five hours at a time and you never see her.

It's still a lifestyle change, though. If you're used to being able to spontaneously go out after work for drinks without going home first or going out of town for the weekend, it is an adjustment to have to consider the dog. If it's your first dog, expect like a month of "holy poo poo what have I done?" but I promise it does get easier. :)

I will definitely have to get a vat of Musher's Secret for this winter. We live in the city and the sidewalks are always heavy on the salt.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 10, 2016

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Regarding the cats, they do test at the track, but it isn't always foolproof. Luckily you will know pretty quickly if it's going to work out or not. The original hound we were supposed to get was tested as cat-safe in Florida, but the instant she saw the first cat in our house, she was lunging and continued to be fixated on it, even when I took her outside. A rescue will coach you on how to safely introduce your dog to cats, because situations like this can always arise.

When I brought Rory home a few days later, the difference was night and day. She ignored the cats completely, and while I expected to have to keep her muzzled for at least a few days around them, I felt confident enough after one night to let her around them without it (still supervised.) Other things that helped were limiting her free roaming space in the house with baby gates, and giving the cats lots of "outs" if they needed to get away. I would have the baby gates high enough to where they could escape underneath if need be.

That said, I still almost always crate her when we're away. It gives me piece of mind to know that there's a barrier between her and the cats. Also, Rory is big enough to where she can set off the motion sensors if given free roam. At this point too, she loves her crate and is used to her routine of going straight in after her morning pee break before I leave. Sometimes, if I'm just running up to the store, I won't crate her, but it almost makes her MORE anxious than if I told her to go in her crate. That's just my personal preference and what works for me and my dog, though. There are plenty of people, including in this thread, that don't crate at all, even with other pets in the house.

When it comes to having a high-energy hound, we originally told the rescue we would prefer a lower-energy dog, but it just worked out that the 5-year-old hound we were supposed to get tried to eat the cats, and young little Rory fell into our laps a few days later. We were honestly a little apprehensive at first about getting a young dog because of her potentially being more high energy, but it hasn't been an issue at all. I took her to the dog park today and she ran her little rear end off for twenty minutes, but is now dead asleep on the floor next to me, and will probably stay like that until dinner time. The most exercise she can tolerate is a 2-3 mile hike before she's done for like two days, so we definitely have to leave her home for our 9-10 mile hikes.

e: Reese, demo-ing the most common greyhound configuration.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 10, 2016

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Oh hey Adam. Nice ears.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

A former professor of mine did a fun little side project this week of assigning fonts to different dog breeds. The greyhound one is pretty awesome. :3:

Cafepress shop

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 23, 2016

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

I need some positive encouragement. We took Jake to the dog park tonight. We've been going later at night when no one is there, to avoid any issues with other dogs. We use a light up ball and generally the situation works really well. Tonight he managed to run into a bench and fractured his femur. He was screaming in pain and bled all over the car. My wife is beside herself. He's hospitalized right now and they are talking major surgery or possibly amputation in the morning. I just really hope he can keep his leg.:smith:

Oof. Sorry to hear that. That's how it happens sometimes. IANAV, but I did work as a surgical assistant at a surgical veterinary clinic and for what it's worth, that looks like a pretty textbook spiral fracture which they should be able to get together with a plate and screws., maybe some wire to pull in that fragment. And honestly, amputation wouldn't be the end of the world, either. They do surprisingly well on three legs. Don't beat yourself up too bad. poo poo happens. :glomp:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 21, 2016

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

You probably won't be given an official surgery time. Everything in a place like that is in constant flux, and factors like staff on hand, extreme emergencies walking through the door, and tie-ups with instruments and equipment can throw a wrench in the works and mess with the whole day's schedule. Hopefully, since he was bumped from yesterday, they'll make a point of doing him early this morning.

I know right now is really hard, but soon enough, he'll be home with you guys and you'll be getting the guilty eyes from him when he wants to go outside and run around because he's feeling so much better, but he can't because he has to rest for a couple months.

Fuzz Feets posted:

Took Reese to the Pet Expo this weekend. All kinds of rescues, vendors, and demonstrations. Was wandering around and realized they had a lure course set up, for $10 you got 4 minutes to see if your dog would chase it. I remember reading in greyhound literature somewhere that sometimes retired racers like lure coursing so we thought why not?

Get him in the ring, let him loose and.........nothing he just looked at me and wagged his tail. Then he went over to say hello to some people leaning over the fence and kiss them. Then he wandered back and was ready to go like 3 minutes early. The dude with the mic was like maybe that's why he's retired.

This would absolutely be Rory, too. She has the lowest prey drive ever, which is good for us since we have two cats, one of whom is a very fluffy-bunny-looking Himalayan. The only time she really runs full-out is if other dogs around her are running, or immediately following a good, long poop. :butt:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Jake has been home for a few hours now. Lots of whining, peed a couple times on the floor unfortunately. Lots of long, audible farts. Drinking water like a maniac. Post op X-ray is here:

Current status:

Nice plate-rod fixation :thumbsup:

Just a word of warning: anesthesia can do funny things to their bowels, usually resulting in them not pooping for several days after surgery, but for Rory, it was the opposite: she had massive, blow-out rear end lava the day after her dental last summer. If he's already farting, well...speaking from experience, maybe keep him off of things that aren't machine washable. :)