Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Totally depends on the dog but most of ours started off pretty reserved and came out of their shells more and more over the course of their first month and then pretty much kept that personality until they got to around 7-8 and then started mellowing out and becoming wise old awesome dogs.

I'll try to remember to picture dump when I get home. We got another grey a month or two back - our first young one in a number of years - and he's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Here's Rubin The Warrior aka Patch. He's about 3 and a half years old and weighs in the low 70 lb range. He had 99 races and came in 1st in 13 of them and would have raced more but he broke his leg. The vet said they did a fantastic job setting the break and he could barely tell it was ever broken. Patch doesn't seem to be aware that he ever had a broken leg either so that's great.

He's an extremely happy dog and loves everyone. He also wants to murder the poo poo out of all local wild life :3:

He really really likes running to and it's really easy to get him going (pardon my old-and-not-very-good-at-action-shots camera):

The last 3 dogs we had before him had all be older (two returns and a momma dog) and already knew how houses and stairs and such worked so we had kind of forgotten what a dog fresh on the track was like. Mirrors and windows were a challenge for a while and stairs took a day or two to figure out. He unfortunately knows how to bark very well and does far too good a job alerting us to the existence of everything. Like I said though he loves everyone and is a ton of fun.

My family has had 9 greyhounds over the past ~18 years and they are really awesome dogs. I'll get some more pictures up of some of the others later.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

This Greyhound puppy cam seems appropriate for this thread.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It's a bummer but 11 is about the beginning of the end for greyhounds in my experience. Something always pops up then or within a year or two. Our philosophy has always been that we will give them all the treatment that we can (unless it costs $texas) but if they stop loving life we will put them down. Not going to let a dog suffer just because I can't let them go.

You'll be able to tell when Union isn't the same happy dog anymore.

On the bright side Greyhounds apparently do well as tripods thanks to their narrow frames.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It's always hard but Union got to have a good life with you and didn't suffer on the way out. You did good so don't beat yourself up about it. :unsmith:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Nice Davis posted:

Does anybody have any experience with rescue organizations within a 4-5 hour drive of Champaign, IL? I.e. we're willing to travel to St. Louis, the Quad Cities, Milwaukee, Central Michigan, Indianapolis, or anything closer. We are beginning our search but don't really know how to choose between the orgs that pop up on Google Maps.
We've adopted a few dogs from REGAP in Mendota, IL (2 hours from champaign) and will continue to do so.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Here's Sara.

Size reference, Patch is 71 lbs and she's about 23.

We got her a month or so ago. She's a whippet, probably about 4 years old, is cute as gently caress, and really loves her people.

We weren't sure if this would work out because Patch goes apeshit when he sees any other mammals out and about. He's lived with other dogs before with no problem but Sara is obviously a lot smaller than him and we thought he might see her as a convenient snack but he has been a perfect gentleman. She has eaten out of his bowl and laid on top of his legs and stepped on his ear and he's not said a word about it. They've even had a little bit of a cuddle :3: He does want to play with her sometimes, especially if she runs, but she's smart enough to either freeze or seek shelter

We've had Patch for 9 months and in that time he's watched 3 different dogs spend most of their time on furniture while he has been content to stay on the floor. Then, a few days ago, when he managed to get up on the couch by using his cot as a step stool*. He didn't look very comfortable up there and got back down after half an hour and then stayed on the floor. Until today when he got back up there without needing a boost and now he's hooked.

Up until now every dog we've had has either immediately gone for the furniture or spent their whole lives on the floor so this was a little unexpected. Welp, back to having loads of dog hair on the couches but if he's comfortable then that's all that really matters.

*He can easily just walk right up onto the couch like most greys but it apparently took him a while to figure that out.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

That was Patch 10 hours ago and then something clicked and now getting on and off the couch is completely effortless.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Along with that they supposedly put the females in the upper crates and the males in the lower crates so the females, in general, are better at jumping up/down than the males.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

They're getting along fairly well:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

actionjackson posted:

I told someone at work I had a greyhound and he said they were ugly dogs :smith:

Should have told him that his face was ugly :colbert:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Most of our greys have loving loved stealing poo poo but after a few moments they lose interest in whatever they've stolen and look for something else to keep up that thieving high.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

A little from column A and little from column B. It's important advice for new owners because, in general, greys will run off if given the chance. They like exploring and they're loving fast. They will follow their eyes and nose a long distance before noticing they aren't with their people anymore. Most of them are retired racers and have been trained to run and not much else. Some dogs are going to be less likely to bolt at the first available opportunity than others of course and some of those videos may be of dogs that never raced which would likely make it a lot easier to train them to stick around.

In my experience greys tend to mellow out a lot when they get close to about 7 years old and are more likely to stand back and look out through an open door or gate as opposed to trying to make a break for it whenever given the chance. I could certainly see some older, well trained, greys being able to be off leash without a fence in certain circumstances though I would never do it myself.

Oh and a side note on their sight. That sighthound designation is no joke. Patch will be sitting on the couch 15' from the glass patio door and see the top inch of a opossum*/rabbit/squirrel 75' away through 1" slits in the fence. If there's something interesting on the horizon they will see it.

* One of those bastards had been hanging around the past few days and it was driving him nuts. A couple nights ago while he was out in the yard the stupid thing tried walking along the neighbor's chain link fence and Patch grabbed it shook it like a baby a Polaroid picture. Mercifully the opossum decided to play dead long enough for us to get Patch away from it and deal with it. That's actually the second opossum he's caught. The first one was a juvenile and he actually managed to kill that one. This one was a big adult (probably the parent of the other one) and if it had fought back things would have been very lovely.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Patch gets Costco dog food as well and it seems to agree with his digestive system quite well.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

slap me silly posted:

Yesterday my dog found a rabbit nest! He and the hawk have an arrangement apparently, he mauls a baby rabbit until it's dead and then the hawk carries off the corpse. Sorry no horrible pics since this isn't GBS. Anyway all that's left now is some baby rabbit juice.

That's a pretty awesome arrangement. I don't like having to steal and dispose of the corpse-toy and hawks are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It took Patch a while to figure out mirrors too. Same with the window on the patio door. We put big a big X with masking tape on each one and that seemed to help some so I think you're on the right track there.

Also, congrats on your handsome dog.